• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Video Card + Latest Norton 360 Update

Since the latest Norton 360 update on 2nd Aug 2017 at 2am my PC has developed problems trying to open Norton 360 if you click on it it displays a circle on the desktop that rotates as if a task is being executed but nothing happens this persists until you hard reset the PC.

Now action taken restored from image 1 week old, run Diskscan, had Nortons Chat tech try to RNR and kill registry and replace and same fault appears if I run Windows Defender and Microsoft Essentials everything works Fine.

PC is a Pentium 4   3.39 Ghz 4GB Ram 32 bit Win 7.1 single use dedicated machine with 250 Gb SSD Video Card is Nividia GeForce 6800 GT Dual 17" Screens.

I am ex tech this has me puzzled after 14 hrs of reinstalling several times and clearing registry etc I can only conclude latest upgrade has an incompatibility with my Video card this has the latest and correct drivers installed.

OK any ideas I like to use Nortons 360 but at present I have uninstalled as can not get to the bottom of this issue.

Labels: Uninstall

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Video Card + Latest Norton 360 Update

Probably a silly question, but you don't have MSE installed at the same time as Norton?  You also should not have WD running either.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos3 Stats

Old Core:

Since the latest Norton 360 update on 2nd Aug 2017 at 2am my PC has developed problems trying to open Norton 360 if you click on it it displays a circle on the desktop that rotates as if a task is being executed but nothing happens...

PC is a Pentium 4   3.39 Ghz 4GB Ram 32 bit Win 7.1 single use dedicated machine with 250 Gb SSD Video Card is Nividia GeForce 6800 GT Dual 17" Screens.

Hi Old Core:

Are you certain the problem didn't start 03-Aug-2017 at 2am?  There was a buggy update released about that time that only affected Win 7 computers - see John MV's thread Computer is frozen after latest update.  If you were affected by this issue a bug fix started rolling out around noon yesterday.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.2.1 * NS v22.10.0.85 * NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos0

No other antivirus installed when trying to fix I only installed after I gave up not sure what WD is abreviation for
Kudos0

Hmm this sounds like what is happening here might wait few days then try to reinstall by then the download servers should have the fixed version being in Aus not sure if versions are cached or how often refreshed
Kudos0

Old Core:
Hmm this sounds like what is happening here might wait few days then try to reinstall by then the download servers should have the fixed version being in Aus not sure if versions are cached or how often refreshed

Hi Old Core:

According to Symantec employee Tony_Weiss' post <here> this Win 7 problem was caused by one of the definition updates. He didn't specify if it was a buggy SDS (virus), SONAR or Intrusion Prevention (IP) definition but it wasn't a product update that would change the version number of your product.

Affected users should only have to uninstall and reinstall if their Norton product is completely frozen and they can't run a manual LiveUpdate to deliver the latest definition updates.  Most of the Symantec servers are currently offering the old v22.9.3.13 installer released back in May 2017, so it would take a few manual LiveUpdates to get you fully patched back to v22.10.0.85 again.

I'm guessing Krusty13's WD abbreviation refers to Windows Defender.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.2.1 * NS v22.10.0.85 * NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

lmacri:

...Most of the Symantec servers are currently offering the old v22.9.3.13 installer released back in May 2017, so it would take a few manual LiveUpdates to get you fully patched back to v22.10.0.85 again.

Hi Old Core:

I just tried the download links for the N360 offline installers and it looks like the download servers were recently updated to the current v22.10.0.85 (at least in N. America).

N360 :                  www.norton.com/latestn360
N360 Premium : www.norton.com/latestn360p

I see Symantec employee Sunil_G responded <here> to your post in John MV's thread Computer is frozen after latest update.  That's the best place to post about the buggy definition update since that thread is being monitored the Symantec employees.
------------

Kudos0

Waited one day to try again new download now working fine bug fixed thanks everyone.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.