• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Virus Defs Very Large in NSS 360 Comcast version if completing

Should virus defs be 186 mb in NSS 360 (Comcast version) I used inteligent updater (?) Their not completing then this big??? Not sure..........Help if any one know...........Gorpy1

Thank God for people that can help!!!

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Virus Defs Very Large in NSS 360 Comcast version if completing

Hi, GORPY1.

Do you mean the virus definition alone had a file size that big or do you mean an entire LiveUpdate?

If you're talking about a LiveUpdate, I couldn't really say whether or not the file size "should" be that big, but I can say that when I reinstalled N 360 (non-Comcast version) a few weeks ago, the first LiveUpdate file I downloaded after reinstallation completed was indeed around 186 mb.  A couple of months before that, a Symantec customer service rep helped me reinstall my then active NIS and the file size was something like 117 mb (after he remotely deleted all of the previous updates/definitions).

Semper ubi sub ubi
Kudos0

After having error 8920 223 for a couple days on virus defs, I used Intelligent Updater (which I hope was the correct file) I received a large virus update I believe even bigger than the mentioned virus defs and still after that (though previous virus defs I don't believe were so big). I was a NIS patron for 8 years and just started using NSS 360 from Comcast and I'm not sure if that was just for virus updates I believe there may have been a reputation files update along with it, and no this was not for installation. Thanks.......Gorpy1

Kudos2 Stats

Hi
I just ran live update normally and I got 6 updates and I believe it was 196MB but I have not been getting this erorr message you mentioned, I'm almost certain that is normal for the live update to be that big but I may be wrong :)

Regards
Accepted Solution
Kudos2 Stats

GORPY1 wrote:

After having error 8920 223 for a couple days on virus defs,

Error 8920,230  is associated with unable to connect to live Update server or unable to download Update.

I used Intelligent Updater (which I hope was the correct file) I received a large virus update I believe even bigger than the mentioned virus defs and still after that (though previous virus defs I don't believe were so big).

The following Knowledge Base Article is for the Intelligent Updater and instructions for use are on the Updater page itself.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080409124354EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

As you are using Comcast's Norton Security Suite, you should be using the definitions fro Norton 360 (later than 6.0) from the Appropriate 32 bit or 64 bit table.  FYI, using the proper N360 download, the 32 bit was 283MB and the 64 bit was 285 MB.

The addtional virus defs could have been from the Pulse Updates that were put out since the Intelligent Updater had been updated.

I was a NIS patron for 8 years and just started using NSS 360 from Comcast and I'm not sure if that was just for virus updates I believe there may have been a reputation files update along with it, and no this was not for installation. Thanks.......Gorpy1

If all is working OK now in regards to LiveUpdate and the System Tray Icon is a green checkmark - all should be fine.   BTW, in NSS, the History is under TASKS > Check Security History and once there you wil see the familiar History from NIS.

Kudos0

Thanks Yank. as well as every one else.......Gorpy1

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.