• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Vista Win Mail & Norton 360 v5

April 22, 2011 10:51pm dst - east coast

HI FOLKS,

This happened to both Norton 360 v4 and to v5 after upgrading. After my computer starts up. After Norton icon shows up in tray by clock. Then I see at the bottom. Windows Mail pop up and closes right away near the START to bottom left. Is this from Norton 360? Nothing shows up in sent mail or anything. Did do full scan in normal and safe mode. Nothing shows up. So is it from Norton or what. Is it doing somethign to Windows Mail?

Before Norton 360. It never opened up on it own like this.

Hope ya understood what I am saying here.

I have Windows Vista Pro SP2 on a IBM computer. I am using Windows Mail. I do update eveything.

I do not have IE 9 yet and FF 4. Just wanting to make sure no problem would show up with Norton that I am hearing about.

HAPPY EASTER TO ANYONE READING THIS POST !!!!

Where my egg !!! he-he-he-he-he

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Bike Mike2002 Olympic TorchbearerMultiple Sclerosis Cyclist since 1990IBM Desktop ThinkCentre, Vista SP2, 32bit, IE 8, FF 3.6, Norton 360 v5.1.0.29, Chrome 11.0.696.68, Paint Shop Pro 12.50 and Adobe 10, 3 GB memory

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Vista Win Mail & Norton 360 v5

April 22, 2011 10:51pm dst - east coast

HI FOLKS,

This happened to both Norton 360 v4 and to v5 after upgrading. After my computer starts up. After Norton icon shows up in tray by clock. Then I see at the bottom. Windows Mail pop up and closes right away near the START to bottom left. Is this from Norton 360? Nothing shows up in sent mail or anything. Did do full scan in normal and safe mode. Nothing shows up. So is it from Norton or what. Is it doing somethign to Windows Mail?

Before Norton 360. It never opened up on it own like this.

Hope ya understood what I am saying here.

I have Windows Vista Pro SP2 on a IBM computer. I am using Windows Mail. I do update eveything.

I do not have IE 9 yet and FF 4. Just wanting to make sure no problem would show up with Norton that I am hearing about.

HAPPY EASTER TO ANYONE READING THIS POST !!!!

Where my egg !!! he-he-he-he-he

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Bike Mike2002 Olympic TorchbearerMultiple Sclerosis Cyclist since 1990IBM Desktop ThinkCentre, Vista SP2, 32bit, IE 8, FF 3.6, Norton 360 v5.1.0.29, Chrome 11.0.696.68, Paint Shop Pro 12.50 and Adobe 10, 3 GB memory
Kudos0

Hi,

first try this please:

1. Open Start Menu

2. In the search bar write msconfig in, hit enter

3. Go to the Startup tab

4. Check the programs

Is there any trace of Windows Mail?

Windows 10 Hungarian, Norton Internet Security v22.9.0.71
Kudos0

nope! I do not see Windows Mail in startup.

Ever since putting Norton 360. It opened and closed on it own. Wierd.

Kudos0

Can you open Windows Mail, and check its settings?

Is there anything in it for auto-load (start-up)?

Before Norton 360 what was you security product?

Kudos0

Mike --

Is that Windows Mail or WIndows Live Mail the more recent version?

I'm using WLM under WIndows 7 I notice that for a while, I think it is while actually downloading, I get a blue icon down there on the right and if I hold the mouse pointer over it it says something about having new Mail.

Could that be what you are seeing? It disappears shortly after I've actually marked as read the last message.

Hugh
Kudos0

Sorry for the long delay. Was egg hunting on a website and training for a upcoming Multiple Sclerosis bike tour. Been tired !!

Crazy here.

What auto load in start up? You talking about  in Vista Windows Mail or the misconfig ??? I already looked in misconfig and no WINMAIL.

Before this . . . . remember this part . . . I have not been on my computer in a couple of months. When I got back on . . .  I finally took out Microsoft One Care  and put in Norton 360 v4.0  early April 2011. Then the free upgrade to Norton 360 5.0. It happened in v4.0 and thought it be clear in v5.0. Really quick open and close of Vista Windows Mail. I am glad I cancel no compressing of my mail or I would not have moticed the open and close when my computer starts up.

So you and anyone reading this part . . . I have Vista SP 2. IE 8 still, Chrome and FF 3.6.

Now to answer the other person question to me.

Later !!!

Kudos0

Sorry for long delay . . . Been busy with things. Including MS bike tour coming up.

I have Vista Windows Mail.

No . . . this never happened to me before since getting this computer in 2008. All started since putting in Norton 360 v4 and did it when upgrade to v5.

No clue. It only happens when the computer starts up. I do not see the Win Mail window open. Did see the bar flash in the bar down below and the usual  . . . do you want to compress your messages open up un-expectly. Wierd!! The . . . . do you want to compress your messages only comes up when I close Windows Mail myself. Hmmmmmmmm !!!!

I wonder if Norton 360 v4 and v5 is doing this????

Back to egg hunting on coffeecup website.

HAVE A GREAT WEKEEND ALL !!!

OH . . . Will check back here time to time . . . really I will.

Kudos0

Wow . . . . as of May 9, 2011 . . . . This post fell back to page 5. No answer on this one.

ZZZZZZZZZZ.............

Kudos0

HI . . . . No one able to help with this one I see.

I have Windows Vista SP 2 . . . 32bit . . .

The first reply asked if Windowd Mail was in startup by PapauZ - Guru.......

first try this please:

1. Open Start Menu

2. In the search bar write msconfig in, hit enter

3. Go to the Startup tab

4. Check the programs

Is there any trace of Windows Mail?

SmileyMike reply was no trace of Windows Mail in startup in misconfig.

Next reply was from PapauZ - Guru saying this...........

Can you open Windows Mail, and check its settings?

Is there anything in it for auto-load (start-up)?

Before Norton 360 what was you security product?

SmileyMike reply is this.............

For Windows Mail Click on Tools >  Options > General >  In  Send / Receive Messages .... send and recieve messages at startup. Has not been checked.

If that what I am suppose to look for?????

I was not on my computer in a couple of months. Still had Microsoft One Care on ths computer. Even though it was no more August 2010. Finally came back on this computer in April 2011. Took out  One Care and put in Norton 360 version 4. Then heard about the free upgrade and put in version 5 the same night I put in version 4 in April.

Before I forget. After installing version 4. Asked to restart compter. That was when I noticed . . . . .really qiuckly Windows Mail opened and closed right away. I didn ot know it even opened. Only way I knew . . . . In the past . . . Always get asked if I want my messages compressed. I always hit cancel. That window pop up. I was like . . . I did not open mail program.

Is Norton 360 doing this????????

Reply from huwyngr - guru asked ..........

Is that Windows Mail or WIndows Live Mail the more recent version?

SmileyMike reply.......

I have Vista Windows Mail. I do not have Windows Live Mail. Is that the new "Windows Live Essentials 2011"?

Like to figure out the Windows Mail when computer starts up. What making it start up and close on it own. Is it from Norton 360?

Have a good up coming weekend !!!

I got a Multiple Sclerosis 170 mile bike tour coming up. My 18th year helping MS Society.

Kudos1 Stats

Hi,

sorry for the delay. It is possible that your Norton 360 v4 to v5 update could done this...

Can you please try to remove the Norton product with the Norton Removal Tool, and then reinstall it:

1. If you use the feature, please backup your Identity Safe data (Settings -> Identity Protection -> Backup)
2. Download latest Norton 360 installer:
- www.norton.com/n360s_5 Standard with 2GB Online Storage
- www.norton.com/n360p_5 Premier with 25GB Online Storage
- www.norton.com/n360sne_5 Standard Netbook Edition with 2GB Online Storage
- www.norton.com/n360pne_5 Premier Netbook Edition with 25GB Online Storage
- for other languages than English please go to the Norton Update Center: www.norton.com/nuc
3. Download Norton Removal Tool: www.norton.com/nrt
4. Disconnect from internet
5. Remove Norton 360 version from Start Menu or from Control Panel -> Add or Remove programs
6. Reboot
7. Run the Norton Removal Tool, reboot (repeat it 2-3 times)
8. Install Norton 360 version 5 with the downloaded installer
9. Reconnect to the internet
10. Activate Norton 360 version 5
11. Run Live Update until you get no new updates
12. Restore your Identity Safe data (Settings ->Identity Protection -> Restore)

You can check how the Norton Removal Tool works in this video.

Let us know the results.

Kudos0

hey there PapuaZ . . . . step 2 says to get latest norton version 5 and then get removal tool. Disconnect from net. Then un-install norton 360. Then use norton removal tool 2 or 3 times. Would it also remove what I download from step 2? Which is also norton file.

Okay! You have a good day PapuaZ.

Kudos0

SmileyMike wrote:

hey there PapuaZ . . . . step 2 says to get latest norton version 5 and then get removal tool. Disconnect from net. Then un-install norton 360. Then use norton removal tool 2 or 3 times. Would it also remove what I download from step 2? Which is also norton file.

Okay! You have a good day PapuaZ.

Mike -- I guess it might depend on where the downloaded installation file is located but I think the answer is no. I have a folder on my machines called Internet Downloads that is divided up into eg Microsoft, Norotn etc. But on Windows 7 I often just use their Downloads folder again often divided into "sources".

Yesterday I did two complete cleanups using the NRT twice with reboots and my downloaded NIS file was still there in the folder I'd directed the Save query to.

The first cleanup on an XO machine was extremely rigorous since I actually used CCleaner instead of the normal Remove Programs Utility. CCLeaner starts with that but gives you options to go on and search for more. Norotn don't recommend using it but ....

On the second WIN 7 machine I actually forgot and used the utility in the Norton menu which is what Windows uses and then ran NRT twice with reboots.

Hugh
Kudos0

I saw PapauZ and huwyngr in the credit in About. Cool !!! Congrats!!

Hope this is not confusing to you. How I write. Sorry !!!! LOL

Before getting into this. I have on desktop . . . The night of April 14, 2011............ First off in order . . . . .  Installed Norton 360 version 4 with a DISK. After installing and ran live update a few times. Then upgraded to version 5. A shortcut was made by Norton and on desktop.    Norton Installation Files  . .   It is located in the PUBLIC\DOWNLOADS folder. It created a shortcut to desktop. Can I throw this in the trash. It is .......... Norton\{N360S_prod_1.6.18_5.0.2.1}.

PAPAUZ . . . . The mail stuff I told you first started  from Norton 360 version 4. Then when I upgraded to version 5. Still did the same thing. So it did not start this annoying problem from version 5. All started the first night April 14th, 2011 with version 4. Before I upgraded to version 5.

I have the version 4 box here with product key. Will this key work if I just download version 5   2GB file . . . .  do what PapauZ said to do.

Because PapauZ  wrote..........EDITED TO SHOW WHAT I NEED . . . . NORTON 360 STANDARD VERSION 5 WITH 2 GB ONLINE STORAGE . . . . . . . .

1. If you use the feature, please backup your Identity Safe data (Settings -> Identity Protection -> Backup)
2. Download latest Norton 360 installer:
-
www.norton.com/n360s_5 Standard with 2GB Online Storage
3. Download Norton Removal Tool:
www.norton.com/nrt
4. Disconnect from internet
5. Remove Norton 360 version from Start Menu or from Control Panel -> Add or Remove programs
6. Reboot
7. Run the Norton Removal Tool, reboot (repeat it 2-3 times)
8. Install Norton 360 version 5 with the downloaded installer
9. Reconnect to the internet
10. Activate Norton 360 version 5
11. Run Live Update until you get no new updates
12. Restore your Identity Safe data (Settings ->Identity Protection -> Restore)

Kudos0

Hi Mike,

SmileyMike wrote:

PAPAUZ . . . . The mail stuff I told you first started  from Norton 360 version 4. Then when I upgraded to version 5. Still did the same thing. So it did not start this annoying problem from version 5. All started the first night April 14th, 2011 with version 4. Before I upgraded to version 5.

What was your previous security solution before Norton? Sometimes it is necessary to use a removal tool for those as well as they can leave behind files and settings as well what can cause troubles.

SmileyMike wrote:Norton Installation Files  . .   It is located in the PUBLIC\DOWNLOADS folder. It created a shortcut to desktop. Can I throw this in the trash. It is .......... Norton\{N360S_prod_1.6.18_5.0.2.1}.

I have the version 4 box here with product key. Will this key work if I just download version 5   2GB file . . . .  do what PapauZ said to do.

You can use that isntaller too. :) With the links I provided you will get the same installer.

You can use your ver4 key, it will be activated without any problem.

If you have no Premium and Netbook edition text on your V4 box, you will need the standrad version. :)

Kudos0

Mike,

<< I saw PapauZ and huwyngr in the credit in About. Cool !!! Congrats!! >>

Yes, I glowed when I saw that!

Hugh
Kudos0

HEY PAPAUZ AND HUGH,

PAPAUZ............ You said this.......... 

What was your previous security solution before Norton? Sometimes it is necessary to use a removal tool for those as well as they can leave behind files and settings as well what can cause troubles.

I was not on my computer for a couple of months. I used Microsoft all the way to the end. Then bought Norton 360 in September 2010.  When it was on sale. Then was not on my computer a couple of months. Came back on computer finally in March just to back up my personal stuff. Then Took out One Care in middle of April. Put in Norton 360 version 4.  Saw Windows Mail open and close quickly on it own. Later that same day  . . . upgraded to version 5.

Sorry putting details into this. How I am. LOL !!

Soooo . . . I had Microsoft One Care. Do not think there was a removal tool at all. It just said to un-install it. I did that with no problem.

PAPAUZ SAID..............

You can use that isntaller too. :) With the links I provided you will get the same installer.

The installer that is still on here is the older version of  version 5. The link you gave is what version number?

So you are saying I can use my product key when I install version with no problem? If that the case. Cool !!!

Now . . . . . Could Norton 360 be causing the mail problem?  Could it be a virus?  Are you guys sure? I do not want to go bananas for nothing. I do not go on websites I do not know. I tell everyone I know I ask before opening emails. Now my emails all plain text. No more HTML and I do not open attached files. I only open if it told before hand and what it is.

I try to be safe as I can. Do not want to worry about this to much. Like to get my head back to what I do everyday. LOL !!

Off topic here................

Papauz  . . . did you know your name was in credit. Was I the first to tell you. LOL ! It seems that Hugh did not know. He said he was glowing . . . . he-he-he-he-he-he!!!

Got one more week to Multiple Sclerosis bike tour . . . one more week . . one more week . . . ya-hooooooooo !!!! Raised a lot of money for MS. Ya-hoooooo !!!

Hope you that is reading this post . . . . have a great weekend !!!

Kudos0

Hi Mike,

SmileyMike wrote:

HEY PAPAUZ AND HUGH,

PAPAUZ............ You said this.......... 

I was not on my computer for a couple of months. I used Microsoft all the way to the end. Then bought Norton 360 in September 2010.  When it was on sale. Then was not on my computer a couple of months. Came back on computer finally in March just to back up my personal stuff. Then Took out One Care in middle of April. Put in Norton 360 version 4.  Saw Windows Mail open and close quickly on it own. Later that same day  . . . upgraded to version 5.

Please try to run this tool: http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/399071e2-49dc-4767-932d-d261e3965943/

It cleans every trace of MS OneCare, if there are any.

PAPAUZ SAID..............

The installer that is still on here is the older version of  version 5. The link you gave is what version number?

So you are saying I can use my product key when I install version with no problem? If that the case. Cool !!!

On the link I gave you can find the same version. :)

But I just found the latest one: Norton 360 v5.1.0.29

You can use your product key, as Norton is a subscription based product, the latest version is always available for the users during an active subscription as a free update.

Now . . . . . Could Norton 360 be causing the mail problem?  Could it be a virus?  Are you guys sure? I do not want to go bananas for nothing. I do not go on websites I do not know. I tell everyone I know I ask before opening emails. Now my emails all plain text. No more HTML and I do not open attached files. I only open if it told before hand and what it is.

It is possible that Norton can cause this.... If you uninstall it, before using the Norton Removal Tool (and you are disconnected from the insternet) try a reboot and check if the problem occurs. If yes, please run both the OneCare and the Norton removal tools 2-3 times. Then reinstall the Norton product via the setup file you downloaded.

Off topic here................

Papauz  . . . did you know your name was in credit. Was I the first to tell you. LOL ! It seems that Hugh did not know. He said he was glowing . . . . he-he-he-he-he-he!!!

I was told once about it. :) But thanks for noticing, and letting me know about it ;) :D :D :D.

Kudos0

HI HUGH aND HUWYNGR,

Wow . . . . found this all the way on page 5 or 6. Holy Cow !!!

Am back from the MS bike tour finally. Was good. Raised over $3,000 for Multiple Sclerosis. :)   2nd day was better then 1st day.

Anyway . . . . . Was reading. I'm glad I did nothing yet. One of the you guys with a STAR  (not you 2) mentioned in red with a WARNING that the Norton Removal Tool has a problem with Roxio. I went and checked if I have Roxio. I rarely use it. Not in Programs and Features. I found it in Windows Explorer > Programs Files. This Roxio is for CD and DVD play and burning. I mainly use Windows to do all the burning onto DVD blank disk. It came with computer. No disk if anything happens. It opened one time when I was trying to burn a disk last year.

I plan to finally do everything this week. Glad to find out about Roxio.

Summer almost here. Ready !!! I like to finish all of this and not think of problems. Like to think of everything else around me.

What is this false positive for MalWareBytes?????

Later for now !!!

Kudos0

Well Done Mike! One of my colleagues over on Compuserve spends a lot of time doing race marshalling for long distance bike racing, like across the continent -- he has a neat computer / wifi setup that he takes with him.

Like you I rarely use Roxio any more and I haven't bothered to buy their latest updates. I use what's in WIndows like you plus specialized utilities for ISO files and I have been using Windows Live Movie Maker to do some simple video editing and found it does exactly what I needed in a way I could understand -- I wanted to extract a whole segment out of a video (licitly) and burn it to a disk on its own.

Microsoft have a MSKB on the problem in the registry with the filters which bothers Roxio and how to get round it. It's just useful to know about it so that if you do use the tool and it happens you know what to do about it -- I'm not even sure if the problem arises stil with the newest tool since I don't use it......yet.

Can't help you on MWB

Hugh
Kudos0

The Roxio came with this computer. Who knows in the future . . . . might use it. I only make tons of everything with DVD and CD disks.

Hugh wrote . . . . Microsoft have a MSKB on the problem in the registry with the filters which bothers Roxio and how to get round it. It's just useful to know about it so that if you do use the tool and it happens you know what to do about it -- I'm not even sure if the problem arises stil with the newest tool since I don't use it......yet.

Hugh . . . When did the NRT new version come out?

What do you mean MSKB on the problem with registry? How do I know what version or what kind of Roxio is for CD and DVD play and burning I have. So I can find away to fixing it. If NRT does something to it.  You alwso mentioned that a new NRT is out. Do not know if it will do anything to Roxio. . . . . . . ANY NORTON STAFF ON THE AIR TO CONFIRM THIS !!!

Any Guru . . . . Next question on MalwareBytes. I was reading on false possitive. Does it mean it will pick up something that is not a virus and not a danger on computer. What are the false possitive to look for?

I am asking  all this. So nothing goes wrong when I finally do things to this computer.

I ask a lot of questions. Don't I. LOL !!!

HAPPY HOLIDAY IN USA . . MEMORIAL WEEKEND . . UN-OFFICAL START OF SUMMER BEGINS. Can not wait for the beach, BBQ and swimming.

Kudos0

Since I don't have it installed I can't tell you where to look on Roxio for the version but normally one finds it under Help on the menus in About.

I can't tell you when NRT came out but maybe someone can.

MSKB is Microsoft Knowledge Base and I was referring to an article there on how to fix it if it happens, not how to avoid it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116 

Just file it away in case something happens.

Hugh
Kudos0

I did find the Roxio in Programs and Features.  DUH !!

Multimedia Center For Think Offerings . . . Publisher is Roxio

Is it okay to upgrade FF 3.6 to FF 4.01 right now. Even though I have the latest Norton 360. Someone posted to get new FF 4.01 before new version of Norton 360. The new version of Norton is the one we all have now of course.

Beach and BBQ time this weekend. Hope everyone have a great weekend. Including you Huugh and Pap

Kudos0

Mike --

You're on your own with FF as far as I am concerned! I stick to IE8 ....

Hugh
Kudos0

WHAT UP HUGH AND PAPUAZ,

Can I upgrade to FF4.01. Even though I have latest version of Norton 360 version 5?

I did nothing yet. I went to NRT ( www.norton.com/nrt  ) page and says this . . . . . . . .

The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2003 and later products, Norton 360, and Norton SystemWorks 12.0 from your computer. If you use ACT! or WinFAX, back up those databases before you proceed.

Does not mention about Roxio software as someone posted in another topic.

If this the latest version of Norton Removal Tool. I will use it and do everything after the holiday. Download Norton 360 version 5.1.0.29, Microsoft One Care Removal Tool and download Norton 360 Version 5.1.0.29 standard. Then disconnect from the NET. Do it all. Then reconnect. Hope it clears the Vista Windows Mail problem. Which started with Version 4.0. Which happens for a split second after computer starts up.

I clicked on the Norton 360 version 5 link you gave Hugh and it wanted to download right away. Should bring you to the page with a link and so on.

I never got IE 9 yet. I am soooo use to IE 8. Do have latest Chrome though. Still have FF 3.6.

Hope everyone having a good holiday. That includes you Hugh and Papuaz. LOL !!!

Kudos0

Update here. No response to  my last post. Everyone on early summer vacation here. LOL !!!

Did ask a couple of questions here. I do ask a lot of questions before doing anything to the computer. Want to make sure I do the right thing.

Enjoy your day !!!!

Kudos0

Sorry I can't help you on N360 or on FF ...

Not sure what you meanby " Can I upgrade to FF4.01. Even though I have latest version of Norton 360 version 5? "

Anyone can upgrade to FF 4.01 if they want to. .... I thought the latst version of N 360 V5 (if you mean fully uptodated by downloading) included the fix for proglems that FF 4 had with Norton which affected the toolbar but not the functions.

Hugh
Kudos0

HEY FOLKS,

HI HUGH......I am on my own with FF you say. I typed that in case someone else read that part. This is new to me. You said you could not help me with N 360. . . . ???

Anyway.......anyone that a guru..........

Then I typed about NRT stuff and so on.

I am just being caution here on everything. Before I do anything.

REPEAT from a few post ago .........

I did nothing yet. I went to NRT to copy and paste  ( www.norton.com/nrt  ) page and says this . . . . . . . .

The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2003 and later products, Norton 360, and Norton SystemWorks 12.0 from your computer. If you use ACT! or WinFAX, back up those databases before you proceed.

Does not mention about Roxio software as someone posted in another topic. So what up with this? Is that from a older NRT or in the new NRT version?

Hugh . . . I remember you saying you like IE 8 more. LOL !! I am use it to. If I get IE 9. I would have to learn all over again.

Again......Thank You ahead of time.

Kudos0

<<  REPEAT from a few post ago .........

I did nothing yet. I went to NRT to copy and paste  ( www.norton.com/nrt  ) page and says this . . . . . . . .

Does not mention about Roxio software as someone posted in another topic. So what up with this? Is that from a older NRT or in the new NRT version?  >>

Possibly because I don't think that warning was about the NRT but rather about either the NBRT or the NPE.

Hugh
Kudos0

I was busy and never got the chance to do anything . . . . always got questions like always . . . . In the norton removal tool page . . . . Step 2 says to use budump . . . . what that do? Do this before using norton removal tool in step 3.

Kudos0

All the gurus are busy as a beeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!! :P

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.