• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

What exactly does Norton back up in Norton 360 back up?

What exactly does Norton back up in Norton 360 back up? my personal files and also the OS? Would this back up be the same or in place of an external hard drive or thumb drive?also the OS?

[Edit: Modified post for clarity]

Replies

Kudos0

Re: What exactly does Norton back up in Norton 360 back up?

The backup in Norton 360 does not do an OS backup. It only backs up the files and folders you choose in your backup set. You should look into a disk imaging software if you want a full HD backup that includes the OS.

The cloud backup is better than just using an external hard drive unless you are storing your external hard drives away from your home. If there is some disaster, like a fire, or you are robbed and the drive and computer taken, you will not have any data to restore when you get your replacement computer. 

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Thank you for your reply.

The last laptop I had died in November. There was no way to turn on the power at all to the computer and the shop i took it to did not have the software to get any data off the hard drive. And they said there was no data on it (which I think is not correct.They just couldn't find it.)) They did not have the most specialized software and it would have cost me 500 dollars. 

In my situation my concern is more like that. No power in which case I would not be able to get the files from Norton but if I understand you correctly the files will be saved BY Norton in their cloud so when acquiring a new computer they would be there for me to put back on? Had I put them on Norton back on the compute that died, then I would have nad them for the laptop i'm using now? Is that correct?

Kudos1 Stats

First, unless the hard drive was destroyed or "corrupted", the data is still there.  You need to put this hard drive into a hard drive enclosure and then plug it into your new computer via a USB cable.  All your data should still be there under your profile name and in the folders you originally had placed it into.  I agree with Peterweb and what he said.  If you want to do an "image backup) (this includes the OS, programs, and your data), I suggest either using Acronis True Image or Symantec/Veritas System Recovery.  Symantec System Recovery (now known as Veritas System Recovery) is nothing more than an updated version of Norton Ghost. I am fanatical about baking up (imaging) my entire hard drive in case of a crash, virus, etc.  For me to re-install everything from scratch would take weeks. To restore everything from an image takes only 25 minutes on my desktop and about 70 minutes on my laptop.  This system has saved me countless hours of headache and heartache over the years.  Remember, it's not a question of if you will have a computer failure.  It's a matter of "when".  But I think you found that out already.  Good luck!

Kudos0

if I understand you correctly the files will be saved BY Norton in their cloud so when acquiring a new computer they would be there for me to put back on? Had I put them on Norton back on the compute that died, then I would have nad them for the laptop i'm using now? Is that correct?

Correct to a point. Your personal files that you backed up to the cloud will always be available to restore to a new computer. But it does not restore your operating system, so you are still going to have to make all the personalisation of your system and install your software.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

As others have stated, a disk image backup to an external hard drive is essential to restore your system -- OS, applications, settings, and personal documents -- easily and quickly.  You should also have your important documents saved to the cloud where they are safe from any sort of disaster that might befall your home or office.  I would add that copy/pasting the contents of your Documents folder, or any other folder containing important information, directly to a thumb drive is also a good idea.  That way you have actual copies of your files that can be accessed on any computer without the need for any third-party backup application and you can simply copy them back to your PC whenever the need arises.  You can't have too many backups.

Kudos0

I believe the shop told me the hard drive was corrupted. It's not the frst time I've lost my files. 

I only mentioned the OS because when MS was updating Windows 10 a few years back with the Creator and or Feature update, a lot of people on the MS Forum said their systems became unusable. I didn't mean to go off the beaten path. .There is new large update that Window 10 wants to put on now and I am afraid it will screw up my system. 

Then I will save what few files I have now on Norton.

Thanks to you and all those who replied.

Kudos0

I wanted to respond to what i wrote about the hard drive from which the data could not be recovered. I was told by the shop I took it to that the hard drive was corrupted. Whether or not they said that because it seemed to be a reasonable assumption I don't know.

I don't know how to take the computer apart and get out the hard drive etc. and do what you suggest but thank you. Something would go wrong because that is my history. I don't use my laptops for work so I willl survive.