• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Where can I download Norton 2011 Internet Security to save to my computer.

I don't see a link for download for Norton Internet Security 2011 anymore, only update centre link. I want to uninstall Norton 2011 properly and then install again. I have Noticed a modification of Norton Bash Definitions files in reported in Event viewer. Also had someone ring me up with Indian Accent calling himself Christian from the National research centre doing lightscape survey, when asked for his number he hung up. Did trace on number which is recorded as 064684539, but when I try to ring back the number is not recognised. Also another number 02033028400 rang whilst I was upstair and when I tried the number it just puts me through to some music. All in all there have been about 7 of these calls in the last two hours. Clearly someone/or some people trying to get personal information from me. As I was recently hacked, and have now noticed the problem with The Norton Bash file being reported in event viewer as being modified, I feel I need to do a re-install from scratch, but unfortunately I cant see a link for a direct download anymore.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Where can I download Norton 2011 Internet Security to save to my computer.

Hi Reactivate,

Can you tell us exactly what the NIS event says regarding Bash? 

As I recall you had your computer serviced recently because of it being hacked. Do you know what they did to fix it? Did they restore to factory default or what? Did you end up having to reinstall all your programs? If they did restore it to factory default then there should be no more malware on your computer. I'm assuming you've run scans with NIS and it found no problems, correct? Have you run a scan with the free version of MalwareBytes?

You can download the English version of NIS 2011 from here. This still links to the 18.1 version so you would need to run live update several times to get all the latest updates. Let me know if you need a different language.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos0

Allen,

IIRC Reactivate was somewhat disappointed with the PC Fixer after the event. I think it was he who said the techie didn't know what the Event Viewer is.

Perhaps Reactivate should consider backing up his files and doing a clean install himself, or going through a complete screening for malware.

That call sounds like one I've read about already from some posts here.

Hugh
Kudos0

Hi Hugh,

Yes I recall seeing that too which is why I'm curious how they went about fixing the computer. If they restored to factory defaults, then no malware should have been able to survive that but if they did something else to clean up the malware then it leaves the possibility that something could have been left behind which might cause problems.

Good to have that background information.

Reactivate, it is also possible that when your computer was hacked someone may have already gotten your phone number and possibly other information.

I would certainly encourage doing a scan with the free version of MalwareBytes as double insurance. I would also recommend scanning with the NBRT (Norton Bootable Recovery Tool) along with scanning with NIS itself.

If you wish to reinstall NIS I think you know the procedure.

Best wishes and let us know how it goes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos0

huwyngr wrote:

Allen,

IIRC Reactivate was somewhat disappointed with the PC Fixer after the event. I think it was he who said the techie didn't know what the Event Viewer is.

Perhaps Reactivate should consider backing up his files and doing a clean install himself, or going through a complete screening for malware.

That call sounds like one I've read about already from some posts here.

The technician restored the computer back to factory setiings, I thought I already mentioned that. I know a factory restore should get read of any malware, but I'm sure I recently read that it may be possible for malware to somehow survive a re-format of the harddrive. I don't know how this could be, or where I read the article, but maybe this is possible in certain scenario's, I don't know. Anyway I have been thinking of trying NPE to see if it throws anything up, just want to make sure it does not automatically delete important system files files.

Kudos0

AllenM wrote:

Hi Hugh,

Yes I recall seeing that too which is why I'm curious how they went about fixing the computer. If they restored to factory defaults, then no malware should have been able to survive that but if they did something else to clean up the malware then it leaves the possibility that something could have been left behind which might cause problems.

Good to have that background information.

Reactivate, it is also possible that when your computer was hacked someone may have already gotten your phone number and possibly other information.

I would certainly encourage doing a scan with the free version of MalwareBytes as double insurance. I would also recommend scanning with the NBRT (Norton Bootable Recovery Tool) along with scanning with NIS itself.

If you wish to reinstall NIS I think you know the procedure.

Best wishes and let us know how it goes.

Allen

Thanks, I've given some information about the events in the other thread.

Kudos0

Reactivate,

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll let others advise you about NPE and how best to use it since I gather that it is very powerful......

Hugh
Kudos0

huwyngr wrote:

Reactivate,

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll let others advise you about NPE and how best to use it since I gather that it is very powerful......

Thanks huwygr  I did notice that in event viewer The following item was not found:  "custom views\summary page events"

It says it might have been deleted

Also in Windows logs 'forwarded events' is disabled, and I believe this should be enabled by default. Not sure how to enable it myself. Anyway I just installed System Mechanic Premium. and it came up with the following:

Your system drive has 51,602 misaligned files (31.87 GB)

Your computer has 10 repairable security vunerabilities.

Your computer has 443 registry problems

your computer has has 278.85 mb of system clutter.

Your computer has 3 unecessary startup items.

Your internet configuration is not optimized for maximum speed

The registry has never been backed up.

The registry is 8% fragmented.

I ran System Mechanic Premium to fix all the problems, it took a couple of hours for it to fix the huge amount of problems, but now it is showing 100% health status.

I checked this with Secunia PSI scan which I had only previously been able to get a 95% score at best, and now that is showing a 100% score. I haven't checked event viewer since, but I sure feel a lot better for purchasing System Mechanic Premium. It is an awsesome program, and it came with Free programs: Drive Scrubber and Search and Recover, plus free online backup. Combined with Norton internet Security 2011, Malwarebytes Anti Malware, Secunia PSI, Belarc Advisor, Mozilla Firefox with Noscript and Adblock + plus with easy list subscription, I feel a lot better about my intenet Security & privacy.

Kudos0

I'll let others comment on that utility since I've never heard of it. If you paid the $200 for 1 PC I saw on the page google found I personally would look for another solution!

My personal reaction is that statements like << Your computer has 10 repairable security vunerabilities. >> could be something as simple as tracking cookies which really aren't vulnerabilities even if Norton also flags them!

Everything else is something covered by what's already in Windows -- chkdsk, diskclean, msconfig, registry export .... -- except repairing the registry which is something I rarely allow any robot to do blindly. I occasionally let CCleaner do it but it produces a list of what it proposes to change and you can accept or reject each, but to do that you need to know what they do .....

But tha's just my POV ....

Hugh
Kudos0

Hello reactivate

Happy to read SysMecPrem worked so well for you and 100%. 

Passed reviews for Iolo products were mixed.  Appears Iolo has improved their products.

Did you grab East Privacy subscription along with Adblock + plus  Easy List subscription ?

Thank you

Kudos0

bjm_ wrote:

Hello reactivate

Happy to read SysMecPrem worked so well for you and 100%. 

Passed reviews for Iolo products were mixed.  Appears Iolo has improved their products.

Did you grab East Privacy subscription along with Adblock + plus  Easy List subscription ?

Thank you

Yes it is greatly improved,  it uses technology that is tailored to your individual computer.  After I installed the product, I was automatically given the option to download the very latest version. The program is easy to use, so easy a young child could use it. If you want System Mechanic to do everything for you, it is just one click away, but if you want some control over what it does you can do that as well. It really is a great program, I just wish I had not wasted £25 on a technician that failed to solve my computer issues, when this program appears to have succeeded in doing so.

Here is a list of what it does:

Repairs registry problems

Repairs hard drive problems

Emergeny CD revives downed systems

Reconnects invalid broken shortcuts

Patent-pending ActiveCare* maintains PC proactively

Live access to Tune-up Definitions from iolo labs diagnoses & fixes the latest PC problems

High-speed, single-file. low-level drive defrag

Automatically accelerates PC startup 19 ways

Boosts internet speeds up to 300%

Defragments & recovers memory in real time

Compacts & defragments Reistry to free up RAM

Cleans up over 50 different types of junk files

Removes invalid uninstallers & programs

Wipes internet & chat history, clutter and cache

Automatic online backup - 2 GB of online storage

Recover erased files from PC's, cameras, music players and more, even after Recycle bin is emptied

Fixes faulty settings to prevent intruders and attacks

Blocks dangerous programs and configuration changes

9999-pass secure file wiping technology

customize hundreds of hidden Windows settings

Full undo capability with historical logs

free unlimited telephone technical support

Probably the best program I have ever bought.

Kudos0

huwyngr wrote:

I'll let others comment on that utility since I've never heard of it. If you paid the $200 for 1 PC I saw on the page google found I personally would look for another solution!

My personal reaction is that statements like << Your computer has 10 repairable security vunerabilities. >> could be something as simple as tracking cookies which really aren't vulnerabilities even if Norton also flags them!

Everything else is something covered by what's already in Windows -- chkdsk, diskclean, msconfig, registry export .... -- except repairing the registry which is something I rarely allow any robot to do blindly. I occasionally let CCleaner do it but it produces a list of what it proposes to change and you can accept or reject each, but to do that you need to know what they do .....

But tha's just my POV ....

I don't know where you saw the $200 huwyngr, you can get it for $39.99 right now http://www.iolo.com/system-mechanic/standard/  normal price £49.99  as for security issues being tracking cookies, not the case as I ran Norton scan before hand it was down to faulty mis-configured settings.

Kudos0

reactivate wrote:

I don't know where you saw the $200 huwyngr, you can get it for $39.99 right now http://www.iolo.com/system-mechanic/standard/  normal price £49.99  as for security issues being tracking cookies, not the case as I ran Norton scan before hand it was down to faulty mis-configured settings.

I googled on the name you put in your message System Mechanic Premium and followed this link:

Introduction iolo Premium Support Service Premium Services provides personal help when you need it most. ... and then use System Mechanic to perform a complete computer tune-up, resulting in faster, 

which was the first entry not relating to buying a copy from a store etc. [BTW the link you give now does not aoppear to be for Premium which is what you said you bought. Sorry if that was misleading but it shows $99 as the cheapest and goes up from that. I really am sceptical of the general benefits of these automated solutions to computer problems, even those Norton includes in N360 and they have a long history of such tools. As I said, so much of what the claim is already there in Windows, let alone in Norton Internet Security. But I'm glad it worked for you -- do they give you a log of what they actuallly changed and do they enable a reversal of specific items if you still have trouble or have new problems?
Hugh
Kudos0

Hello Reactivate

From your description of what that product does, it sounds like some of it may conflict with the workings of NIS 2011 also.

Happy New Year !

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.19.8.65 Core Firmware 282 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

huwyngr wrote:

reactivate wrote:

I googled on the name you put in your message System Mechanic Premium and followed this link:

Introduction iolo Premium Support Service Premium Services provides personal help when you need it most. ... and then use System Mechanic to perform a complete computer tune-up, resulting in faster, 

which was the first entry not relating to buying a copy from a store etc. [BTW the link you give now does not aoppear to be for Premium which is what you said you bought. Sorry if that was misleading but it shows $99 as the cheapest and goes up from that. I really am sceptical of the general benefits of these automated solutions to computer problems, even those Norton includes in N360 and they have a long history of such tools. As I said, so much of what the claim is already there in Windows, let alone in Norton Internet Security. But I'm glad it worked for you -- do they give you a log of what they actuallly changed and do they enable a reversal of specific items if you still have trouble or have new problems?

I updated my version of System Mechanic Premium, I will check what happened to the Premium link, but I suspect that it is discontinued, and that the standard version is basically improved as to be the same as Premium. It does offer free support ect. It will also explain why I noticed in store when I was buying the product that they were selling the standard version for the same price. However it does what is says on the box, and yes you can reverse any or all changes.

Kudos0

floplot wrote:

Hello Reactivate

From your description of what that product does, it sounds like some of it may conflict with the workings of NIS 2011 also.

Happy New Year !

Absolutely not, it tells me that Norton is my currently Anti-virus and Malware and that it is reported working and up to date, just like in Windows security centre. The proffesional version will conflict with Norton because that version contains the iolo anti/virus anti/malware.

Happy New Year !

Kudos0

reactivate wrote:

floplot wrote:

Hello Reactivate

Happy New Year !

Absolutely not, it tells me that Norton is my currently Anti-virus and Malware and that it is reported working and up to date, just like in Windows security centre. The proffesional version will conflict with Norton because that version contains the iolo anti/virus anti/malware.

Happy New Year !

Hi Reactivate,

It does not appear to be a conflict in the traditional sense, having to do with anti-virus and such. However it does do defragmentation and appears to also do cookie related clean-up. So I would suggest turning OFF the NIS Idle Time Optimizer and set NIS Cookie scan to "Ignore".

Best wishes and Happy New Year.

Allen

Kudos0

@ Topic

Perhaps System Mechanic Premium has morphed into System Mechanic 10

Company News and Events

I have never used Iolo nor do I own stock in Iolo

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.