• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Where does Norton 360 store backup set configurations?

I recently had to remove and reinstall Norton 360, and found that I had lost my previously defined back-up sets. I had to rebuild them from scratch.

I presume that the names and configurations of back-up sets are stored locally in some file or files. If I knew where and what these files were, I'd back them up if I ever had to uninstall Norton again.

Can anyone tell me which files or folders hold this information? (Windows 8.1)

Grant Hutchison

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Where does Norton 360 store backup set configurations?

I had this issue a month or so back. At that time I was advised there was no way of saving these configurations, so I had to start again from scratch.

It would be a much appreciated "product improvement" if Norton could kindly make this change.  That is unless they already have done and I am not aware?

Kudos0

Even after a reinstall of 360, you should be able to access your previous backups.

I'll ask our backup guru @Andmike to see if he can help here.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Access to the backup sets from before N360 was re-installed was not a problem - I could  - and did - restore from them. 

I did not get the confidence that if I tried putting a new backup set together with the same name as one in remote storage, it was working. Thus I wiped the remote storage backup and started over, so I knew exactly where I started from (from scratch).

It is the configurations of the backups and these configurations being saved - either on the PC or online - that the original poster and I are very interested in - I believe.

Kudos0

It is the configurations of the backups and these configurations being saved - either on the PC or online - that the original poster and I are very interested in - I believe

Yes, that's right. My old backup files were accessible to me, and I restored a couple of files from them experimentally.

My problem was that my reinstalled Norton had no memory of any previously defined backup sets - I couldn't continue backing up until I had set up the backup sets again. This was a little time-consuming, since I had a very specific selection of files and folders that I designated for backup. I then, like the previous poster, deleted the remote backups and resaved my data.

It's all done now, but it took a while.

Kudos0

Hi granthutchison.

Sorry to be slow in responding to this thread but I do not normally look in this forum for Backup issues and will suggest that the thread is transferred to the Backup forum for better visibility.

Now to your question.  Where are backup set definitions stored - answer - I do not know.  

The problem of backup definitions being lost on a re-installation is a recurring one and not one I know a solution to.  I try and keep my definitions simple so that if necessary I can re-create them fairly easily.

Even if you do re-create the same definition it does not back up to the same backup on disk as far as I can see, and a new backup will be created.

But as you have found out you can restore from any of your old backup sets that are visible to your machine.

I suspect that this response is not what you hoped to hear but I hope it has helped clarify the situation.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Mike
Kudos0

Norton needs to address this problem so that old backups can still be used when such changes occur.  This can happen if a user moves an external drive containing the backups to another computer that contains the same source file set that was also moved..  We can open the restore for each backup set and see the files in it so that we can recreate another backup setup on the computer that will do the backup.  But that is wasting time.

And it is not certain that doing so will actually allow Backup to recognize the old target fileset from the new settings and continue using it so that all of the previously backed up files and folders do not get duplicated unnecessarily in another saved backup.  What we want to do is to continue using the old backup set on its target drive.  We just need to use it from another source drive that has control of the files being backed up.

This is a problem when we need to move the target external drive onto another computer.  In my case, Norton Security Suite deleted the old backup settings without asking if they would be needed.  That's neither smart programming nor is it courteous to force this upon users.  Who wants to rebuild a complicated backup set just to find out that it will not continue to add new files to the original backup but simply creates another set of files that contains all the unneeded duplicates???  

If Norton wants to keep its business growing and not lose customers, this sort of problem needs to be properly addressed, not ignored.

Kudos2 Stats

Hi everyone!

Thanks for bringing this up. It is indeed undesirable that we force you to recreate your backup sets entirely, specially if you have a very detailed configuration.

The issue here is that our backup today is heavily focused on keeping the data within a device safe. This means that, if you accidentally delete a large group of files or they somehow become corrupted, we will be very good at putting them back to where they were. However, we are not so focused on helping you get that new device that is replacing an old one “up to speed”. Part of doing this would be linking your backup sets in the “old” device to the “new” device, so that backup keeps running as if both devices were one.

This is something that we are already planning to work on: we want to be better at helping you get your new device ready. Once again, I cannot share details or dates, but I think it’s worth mentioning that it’s a feature that we are most definitely looking into.

Thanks,

rafa

Kudos0

On the surface, I think the configuration that allows the "Norton Vault" details to be backed up and moved between PC is possibly the "blueprint" for the end result? I know programmers will throw their hands up in the air and say "there's so much more than just that" but it is very good to know that Symantec are going to look into for definite and we will just have to wait. So many companies would say zero until they had a finished product, but your previous mail is appreciated.

As a side note about selecting files for backup, I have used at work the "Norton Backup" standalone product a few years ago; I found the "tree" method of selecting files - with tick boxes next to each folder - so much easier than the method of selecting files within the N360 product. Can you at least look into the possibility as putting that method in a future release of the N360 and its successors?

Kudos0

On the surface, I think the configuration that allows the "Norton Vault" details to be backed up and moved between PC is possibly the "blueprint" for the end result? I know programmers will throw their hands up in the air and say "there's so much more than just that" but it is very good to know that Symantec are going to look into for definite and we will just have to wait. So many companies would say zero until they had a finished product, but your previous mail is appreciated.

As a side note about selecting files for backup, I have used at work the "Norton Backup" standalone product a few years ago; I found the "tree" method of selecting files - with tick boxes next to each folder - so much easier than the method of selecting files within the N360 product. Can you at least look into the possibility as putting that method in a future release of the N360 and its successors?

Kudos0

I almost wept as I read through this thread. Having been working with an upgrade to Windows 10 (from 7) I fully recognised that it was possible that a reworking of my 360 configuration was probably required. With various issues across a number of my apps including a couple of strange 360 issues I decided to rebuild W10 and my PC from scratch. All has gone well with almost all my work - except N360 and in particular Backup.

I have had 4 occurrences of "Error 8594, 104" and each time I've increasingly cursed Norton more than I have in all the years I've been a customer because of being forced to rebuild the (rather complex) configuration I've set up. As well as wasting time creating my backup set configurations, running a new backup and then deleting the old files it's becoming most frustrating and time wasting. Each time there's a failure (which only seems to occur every few days) I can't tell whether its a Microsoft or Norton issue. I just have to go through the same time-wasting exercise.

I can't even find out from anywhere on Norton's web pages whether the hours it takes to re-backup is necessary or whether it's possible to utilise and continue using the "old" files.

I'm now wondering whether to go down the Microsoft backup route and to save some money on Norton.

Please Symantec get your system designers and programmers to re-look at your front end and usability configurations and get the system user-friendly asap. Rafa's reply above gives some hope that Symantec at least acknowledges the situation but how long for an update - and where can we track its availability?

Kudos0

I today had errors that involved the code "Something - 104" and the Norton rep had no option other than to remove my product from my PC and re-install it. The re-installation worked fine, but I have again lost the front end of my back up configuration. I have the data saved remotely and locally which is good, but to setup the backup sets again for local and remote backups is going to take time and - unless I am wrong here - going to involve deleting the existing remote backup because it won't like a "similiar" backup being squeezed in next to it. It would be totally fine if there was a mechanism that looked at what had been previously saved and from that created the backup set on my PC.

Before Norton went belly up today, for another issue it was highlighting how much time I have left on my Norton "Security with Backup" subscription. I shall be using this time to research other backup options on the market, so that when renewal date comes round in October, I will know if am I renewing the same Norton product or downgrading my requirement.

I do believe that many of the Norton online security products are at the top of the market, but the Backup does need an urgent change on the lines that other correspondents (like JohnS1948 ) have suggested.

Kudos0

Hi Jack Dusty.

I do not think you have to remove your old backups, other than to save space, though it might be helpful if you used a different name for them.

Mike
Kudos0

Ahhhh - but when they are 2 backups - 1 of 12GB size and the other of 7GB size and the total online space is 25GB, then there is a capacity problem. I believe in keeping my backups (relatively) simple, although it makes them big.

Now if the interface linked up with the existing backup, detected precisely what it was made up of, then offered to re-create a backup set on the PC, I would be very happy.

For small backups - that is good advice, and I commend the advice to other readers.

Kudos1 Stats

While being able to recover the backupset information on a system rebuild would be very desireable.  The issue here is far more serious.  Norton 360 is constantly having issues with collisions on Windows 10 and apparently Microsoft patching where the LiveUpdate feature becomes broken.  This is the first time that Norton required a reinstall to resolve the issue.  Now, I lose a highly customized backupset description with NO way to recover it.  The definition of backup is that you can recover.  So, Norton 360 has a major recovery design flaw.  No one should be using this product with this kind of flaw.

Kudos0

I know this community site is run by very fine people who are not Norton Employees.

Just in case a Norton Employee has a look, I can give them a swift update: Norton did not purge my backup space back to zero between April and October 2016. Even with all online backups deleted, there was something like 3-4GB showing as used. Then there was the issue debated here about restoring backup settings, thus because of the delays with nothing happening, I have paid other companies to provide my Internet security and my backup of data. Norton has lost a paying customer.

Now I may move providers at the 1st renewal, but unless I hear that both problems are fixed and other users are happy, it won't be a return to Norton.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.