Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!
Which Manual DEFINITION Update Should I Get?
My Norton fails to get past "Checking for updates" and leaves me with "Fix" it.
Chronological Order of Events: (this happens every 1 - 2 months)
- After a brief discussion today with Support, I received email from Norton agent with instructions on where to get, and download the definitions for my system. (Liveupdsate should be called DEADupdate - but that is another story and why I am manually doing the definition update.) Jump to "Question" below, or read details.
- I spoke to support many times as this is a recurring and frustrating issue so I'm opting to save a lot of time and just get the definition updates manually. But not one agent will tell me, without remote access, which file I should get. POINT: If the email says all I need is my Norton Ver. # and 32 or 64, then why do they need to access remotely? They don't!
NOTE: Once time when I let a agent work from remote, she left me a black screen with "No operating system found". Another left 8 Norton uninstaller and Norton installer copies in my Downloads folder. Really! She tried 8 times to unload and reload Norton!
- Today, Support sends me email with info to manually install Definitions.
- I located my required Version # (184.108.40.206) of Norton installed - as instructed in the email.
- I went to Definitions site and cannot be sure of which Ver. to Dload. Mine is not listed!
The last agent I spoke to, the very rude one, wanted to fix Liveupdate, and refused to help me find the correct definitions version without ...""running some tools on your system which you cannot do from there, and I will fix your Liveupdate for you." And he would only do that if I let him access remote. He refused to follow through with the first agent's instructions and just help me with the correct definitions download.
- I called and each agent wants to log in remote. There is NO reason. All I ask for is which version on the web site for a Vista 32 bit definitions manual update should I dload because my Ver. # isn't listed.
- The last agent I spoke to today (4th one!), for over 55 minutes (most on hold), refused to tell me which definition file I should use for my Ver # without.
QUESTION: Will someone, just go to the "definitions site" downloads and tell me which definition file I should download for Norton Security with Backup Ver. 220.127.116.11, 32bit - which is all the information the generic cut & paste email says is needed.
I am at a loss as to which is which. The generic email is available at Norton's "Update virus definitions using Intelligent Updater". "Intelligent"? That's not even funny!
I appreciate your taking the time to review my problem,
Six+ hours with "Support" trying to find out which one - I can wait for the real support ;)