• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Why is Full System Scan Time so short in NIS 2012?

Hi:

I have over 1,500,000 files on this system.

In NIS 2011, the Full System Scan took nearly 4 hours.

With NIS 2012, the same scan took 1 hour.

How could that be?

Is NIS still checking all attached drives with a FSS?

Atomic_Blast

"Every day is just another increment on the bell curve of life."

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Why is Full System Scan Time so short in NIS 2012?

My data: 3 hours circa to scan 663.131 objects (Home XP SP3):

Kudos1 Stats

It is going to depend on a lot of things:

What trust level is in settings.  If it is normal, then only the files that have changed and some specific ones will be scanned again.

When was the last full system scan done.  If they are done close together, then fewer files change and the scan is faster.

If you have intelligent skip scanning turned on, quite a few low risk files will be left out.

If you have compressed file scanning turned off, this will speed up the scan considerably.

Four hours is unusually long.  My dual boot system with about the same number of files, always took an hour and a half at default settings.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

Hi delphinium:

Last Full System Scan done about a week ago under NIS 2011.

Compressed Files Scan is on. I have Intelligent Skip Scanning off and Smart Definitions off, as well.

Scan Performance Profiles at Normal Trust.

Will  monitor and reply back.

Thanks.

Atomic_Blast

Kudos0

Hi delphinium:

Something is not OK here on my XP, SP3 box.

Did a Full System Scan, NIS correctly detected all Volumes...

Based on 1.5 Million files...

Note the skipped files. The scan file count was not even close!

Total Scan Time about 2.5 hours. Look at  noghere's post above. Kind of similar.

In NIS 2011 the count would have been about 1.2 Million.

What do you (or anyone else) think? Something very wrong with 2012?

Atomic_Blast

Kudos0

I had a similar problem with 2011.  Sometimes NIS just can't count.  I found that the scans took about the same time, each weekly scan, but the counts were way out in left field.  NIS sometimes counts a compressed file as 1 file, but it might have been scanned by a previous version as having a hundred files.

There are three parts to the equation:

1. Is the scan right, and the count right, but the reporting incorrect?

2. Is the reporting correct, and the count correct and the scan missing files?

3. Since your concerns are based on the counts from a previous version, that I know were goofy, one has to wonder if those counts were wrong and these counts correct.

This is a great discussion on the subject.  Sorry about the images, I had a blonde moment.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/RE-Scans/td-p/314396/highlight/true

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

Hi Atomic_Blast,

This is a previous  report: (2:18:12 hours, 598.098 objects and 112 files skipped). I don't understand the reason why this scan has less objects, more trusted files and more files skipped than the other one done a day later.

Kudos0

Hello noghere

There will be a lot of files skipped in a full system scan when you do the scans in a very close time frame. The scan will then scan the files that have changed  since the last full system scan..You are trying to compare apples and oranges. If you want to compare the scans, they have to be done every week or with the same time frames each time. It wil not show the same number of files scanned if you do it weekly and then decide to do it again after a few days.. If you want to compare, then you have to do it every time with the same time period.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

delphinium wrote:

I had a similar problem with 2011.  Sometimes NIS just can't count.  I found that the scans took about the same time, each weekly scan, but the counts were way out in left field.  NIS sometimes counts a compressed file as 1 file, but it might have been scanned by a previous version as having a hundred files.

There are three parts to the equation:

1. Is the scan right, and the count right, but the reporting incorrect?

2. Is the reporting correct, and the count correct and the scan missing files?

3. Since your concerns are based on the counts from a previous version, that I know were goofy, one has to wonder if those counts were wrong and these counts correct.

I have also this problem and it would be great if Symantec can give us answer on delphiniums qustions!

Kind regards:

/Johannes

Kudos0

floplot wrote:

Hello noghere

There will be a lot of files skipped in a full system scan when you do the scans in a very close time frame.

I had 112 files skipped yesterday and I have 0 (zero) today.... I'd think the files skipped increase scan after scan...

Kudos0

Hmm...

It would be a great idea for Symantec to clarify all of this.

As mentioned above, my current settings are:

Compressed Files Scan - ON

Smart Definitions - OFF 

Intelligent Skip Scanning - OFF

Scan Performance Profiles - STANDARD TRUST

I still wonder if there is excess baggage from NIS 2011 and that a clean install, using the NRT would be give a more decisive picture. Does anyone else share my above settings? I would like NIS to scan almost all files on my system, to be sure.

Atomic_Blast

Kudos0

Atomic_Blast wrote:

I would like NIS to scan almost all files on my system, to be sure.

The antivirus (every antivirus)  ratio is to learn step by step - scan by scan - how is the computer condition. On that way time after time the speed of the machine has to increase... So the last scan (if the data base malware definitions is the same of the previous scan) should check only the modified objetcs.

Kudos0

If you want it to scan more files, you will need to change the trust level to no trust and enable compressed file scanning.

If you just use the default settings, your machine is quite safe, at least as far as can be expected, and the scan times will be shorter.

Kudos0

Hi.

Performed Full System Scan with NO TRUST setting.

Count is higher, but nowehere what it was under 2011? Any ideas? Thanks.

Atomic Blast :)

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Good news:

The 19.1.1.3 patch solved this problem.

The count is now within reasonable limits.

Thanks!

Atomic_Blast :)

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.