• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Will my NIS2009 Deactivate when my subscription ends!?

With finances the way they are at the moment, I will not be able to renew my subscription for updates before my software subscription expires (in 13 days).  Will NIS just stop working at that time? Should I just uninstall it upon subscription expiration?  Are we really just leasing this product from Symantec by the year or will I just be unable to download new updates to the application/virus database.

I've been getting varied answers around the net from various forums from (No it will just remind you in large red letters it's expired") to others claiming they are actually testing the software on VM's through purposeful infection / firewall intrusion to prove that the software no longer works.

I would be eternally grateful if someone could answer this finally.  I understand the risks involved not running updates etc, but I DREAD having to download MacAffee from my ISP's "free" with my service junk knowing that it will be full of adds, plus McAffee has always been horrible about just badgering you to buy even more software from them.

Last note. NIS 2009 is VERY nice, VERY low system resource usage, ability to turn off updates etc while gaming etc.  My previous experiences with Norton (from 2001 on up) was that it was a bloated piece of software heavy on resources and not worth installing (and almost impossible to unistall when you wanted to).  I can't say on the uninstall part on NIS 2009, however the resource usage, and other such items too many to mention here, make this an excellent piece of software I would hate to lose for a few months while finances catch up.

Thanks for anyone that actually knows to read this long post and answer me. Thanks!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Will my NIS2009 Deactivate when my subscription ends!?

Hi ZenoS2

As far as I am aware, the product will keep working for everything bar the automatic virus updates.  You can always try using the intelligent updater in the interim if you wish, until you are able to renew. You can download the virus updates manually from here.

Good luck!

Kudos0

Yes, it will completely De-Activate and you will not be able to get any Updates for the Norton 2009 Product when your Subscription Expires in "13" days' time. 

Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]
Kudos0

Hi ZenoS2

Maybe when your subscription expires,Remove your existing NIS2009 by the NRT(Norton removal tool)There are threads saying how you do this just use the search pane.And download the trial version of NIS2009(again you can search for it), It may buy you some time till you can buy another CD/download of NIS2009??? Then use the key to activate the trial.This is just a thought Unless someone else can give you a better Idea.

Is this a valid idea???Gurus /Mods

Cheers Mo Windows 7 64 bit, NIS2013
Kudos0

Floating_Red wrote:

Yes, it will completely De-Activate and you will not be able to get any Updates for the Norton 2009 Product when your Subscription Expires in "13" days' time. 

Hi Floating_Red

For previous builds of NIS, when the subscription runs out the product remains active but will be unable to download updates through Live Update. As far as being 'completely disabled', I'm led to believe other protection features will continue to function.

Have you heard or experienced otherwise with the NIS2009 build?

Thanks

Message Edited by johna on 02-07-2009 09:48 PM
Kudos0

mo wrote:

Hi ZenoS2

Maybe when your subscription expires,Remove your existing NIS2009 by the NRT(Norton removal tool)There are threads saying how you do this just use the search pane.And download the trial version of NIS2009(again you can search for it), It may buy you some time till you can buy another CD/download of NIS2009??? Then use the key to activate the trial.This is just a thought Unless someone else can give you a better Idea.

Is this a valid idea???Gurus /Mods

Hi

That won't work because the trial version will come up as expired as well.

Thanks

Kudos0

johna wrote:

Floating_Red wrote:

Have you heard or experienced otherwise with the NIS2009 build?

Yes, with regard to "heard or expirenced" Subscription Expired and the Norton 2009 Product totally De-Activated.

Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]
Kudos0

This is an idea but getting into the code, hacking ini files and such to get it to work for another 30days just isn't an option for me.  Might be worth trying on a VM machine or something but from all I've read in this thread this will not work as it was mentioned in the post above, or would work with previous versions.Message Edited by ZenoS2 on 02-07-2009 01:02 PM
Kudos0

Thanks for all the responses, unfortunately no one here seems to know either.  With older versions of Norton, you "could" download the updates manually and install (as someone above mentioned), but the TOS for the new NIS/NAV 09 is very murky as to if we are "purchasing the software with one year of updates" or "leasing the software for one year" if in fact we ARE leasing the software, I think that information should be more available, but it would probably kill 50% of Symantec's business.  

Either way, we'll find out in 12days now, I'll purposely infect myself with a controllable trojan, and do some firewall tests etc after expiration, and report back on this thread as to what exactally happens, and what funcionallity you Do lose upon subscription expiration.

This was Originally Norton Internet Security (NIS as most post) 2008 which was upgraded for free.  If I do lose functionality, I'll try the norton uninstaller and reinstall 2008 just to see what happens.  This was an OEM copy that came with a Dell system I purchased for the office so it never had a "key" or "serial", upon install it was already activated.  For those thinking it might reactivate on a reinstall, it will not, i recently performed a new installation of windows and it was still at the same days as before (Altho it was a frankeninstal ("IE installed overtop of an exsisting windows XP SP3 installation, I couldn't afford to lose the data and frankly was lazy lol, it's stable anyways, however the previous subscription "key/serial" could have been hidden in there and most likely was which was why the subscription didn't reset." I'm not sure how they write the code on their (Pre-Activated OEM copies)).

Thanks again, Will post back in 12 and let everyone know once and for all what happens when our subs run out.

Message Edited by ZenoS2 on 02-07-2009 01:07 PM
Kudos0

ZenoS2 wrote:
This is an idea but getting into the code, hacking ini files and such to get it to work for another 30days just isn't an option for me.  Might be worth trying on a VM machine or something but from all I've read in this thread this will not work as it was mentioned in the post above, or would work with previous versions.Message Edited by ZenoS2 on 02-07-2009 01:02 PM

Please do not even think of discussing that here since any reference to hacking will result in a moderator deleting messages and if extreme other sanctions.

Now that companies -- not just Symantec -- are going over onto Subscription models rather than purchase total loss of functionality is becoming common.

I hope you'll find it possible to renew and I can only suggest trying one of the less featured free software meanwhile, certainly rather than infecting your system to "see if"? Symantec have stated categorically in messages here that there is a total loss of functionality -- not even still using the outofdate definitions.

Hugh
Kudos0

NIS 2009 will definitely shut down completely when your subscription expires.  I upgraded from NIS 2008 last fall and then bought a retail CD copy of NIS 2009 on sale, intending to use the new activation code to renew after the existing subscription lapsed.  Like many others here, past experience had led me to believe the product would continue to work past the expiration date, albeit without new definitions.

When the calendar struck 0, however, I was surprised to find a red-X'ed Norton icon in the system tray and a Windows Security Center balloon tellling me my computer might be at risk, as there was no anti-virus installed.  So I can tell you with certainty that in 12 days your copy of Norton will be completely dead.  Plan accordingly.

Message Edited by SendOfJive on 02-07-2009 08:23 PM
Kudos0

<< When the calendar struck 0, however, I was surprised to find a red-X'ed Norton icon in the system tray and a Windows Security Center balloon tellling me my computer might be at risk, as there was no anti-virus installed.  So I can tell you with certainty that in 12 days your copy of Norton will be completely dead.  Plan accordingly. >>

Hopefully the KEY from your purchased version did work to give you 12 months from the date you used it?

Hugh
Kudos0

huwyngr wrote:
Hopefully the KEY from your purchased version did work to give you 12 months from the date you used it?

Indeed it did.  I just had to use it a little quicker than I had anticipated.

Kudos1 Stats

Hi ZenoS2,

If your product is up and running now, I would recommend that you contact our customer services for any assistance on this. You can connect to a Symantec support representative in an online chat session through the "One Click Support" feature.

Here is how you can contact them.

1. Click Help & Support in the right hand top corner of the product UI.

2. Select One Click Support.

When the support page is successfully loaded, follow the on-screen instructions to get access to a support agent.

You can also click here to contact the customer support team.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thanks,

TomV

Norton Forums Moderator

Symantec Corporation

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.