• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Win 7 update kb2952664 now does more - and it's not good news

Beware of this update!

The first release of this update for Windows 7 seems to have been April of 2014.  It's purpose was stated by Microsoft this way:

"This update performs diagnostics on the Windows systems that participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program... (to) help determine whether compatibility issues may be encountered when the latest Windows operating system is installed."

It appears from Microsoft's website that this update has new material.  The files that will be installed all have either March or April 2016 dates.  And here's what I ran into:

I received notice of this update on 12 April, and installed it on 13 April.  It was the only update I installed.  When I rebooted the computer, my Norton toolbar's Identity Safe box said 'Access Vault', not 'Vault is closed' as it does normally.  So, when I tried the button to 'Access Vault', a message came up 'Restart needed'.  I had just restarted!  I restarted again - and got the same results. No matter what I tried, I could not get Identity Safe to work under Windows 7.  I checked memory using Task Manager, and a module named 'Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser' was active in memory.

Norton's Identity Safe does not work with the Edge browser in Windows 10.  I wondered if this Microsoft update may have disabled Identity Safe in Windows 7, so I backed the update out and re-booted.  As if by magic, Identity Safe worked again! 

I do not believe in coincidences when it comes to Microsoft.  Norton should contact Microsoft and discuss this with them. 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Win 7 update kb2952664 now does more - and it's not good news

Hi Thomas Bell,

Thanks for sharing your experience with kb2952644. 

I am currently running 2 WIN 7(64bit) desktop systems with NSBU installed in one and Comcast's Norton Security Suite installed in the second (both on v 22.6.0.142).  I installed the kb in both systems and have not seen what you are referring to.

For informational purposes, I have both a Local and an Online Vault on the NSBU install and NSS only has a Local Vault available and I have not seen any change in the operation of my Identity Safe.  I am also using Internet Explorer 11 as my default browser>

- perhaps if you could tell us which browser you use and saw this situation on, it may help others try to duplicate it.

- are you by chance using the Stand Alone Identity Safe (IDSS) or are you using ID Safe as part of a Norton product (which version)?

I was not sure if I was a participant in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program or not and found some info in the following link in case anyone reading this needs additional info, including how to opt out of the program.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee126127(v=ws.10).aspx#BKMK_How

Let' see if anyone else reports the same.

Kudos0

Sorry - I forgot to set the stage properly.  My environment is Win 7 SP1, IE11.0.3 (11.0.9600.18282) using Norton Security Deluxe, with a cloud vault (they told me I couldn't have a local vault - how did you get one?)​

I could be experiencing an aberration.  It's hard to tell.  I've been in the IT business since 1971, and when something like this happens with MS, it's usually something they did, not the customer.

For reference, if you downloaded and installed this kb, you are (or were) participating by default.  The kb is gathering data, and then communicating with MS on a periodic basis.  You may not see the communicating module in your stack, because it schedules its feedback transmissions, but the data gathering ones are buried in there.  And if you chose to change the settings, then the purpose for the kb is nullified, according to MS in the link you provided.  That doesn't sound like the MS I know, so I'm still suspicious that some of that code is still functioning.

As you say, let's see if anyone else reports a similar experience.

===============

Kudos0

Thomas Bell:

Sorry - I forgot to set the stage properly.  My environment is Win 7 SP1, IE11.0.3 (11.0.9600.18282) using Norton Security Deluxe, with a cloud vault (they told me I couldn't have a local vault - how did you get one?)​

I have both the Local and the Online Vault as far back as prior to the 2012 version.  If you have a Local Vault running on your system and do an "over the top" install of the new version of Norton you can retain the Local Vault.  There are a few methods that allow you to regain the Local Vault. 

Most of the info is included in the following link (one which some of our more clever users have graciously shared with others)

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/retaining-your-local-vault

What I always thought was really nice about the effort a user puts into re-obtaining the Local Vault, the Local Vault remains through uninstall/reinstall using the NRnRT as well as the NRT.

Now the wait for additional info from others begins! 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.