• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

WINDOWS 10 ERROR 80240020 THIRD PARTY SECURITY PREVENTING UPGRADE

3RD Party security needs to be disabled to allow WINDOWS 10 install.I thought we were compatible when using NIS with BU Latest version,what do I do? MITCHINKB  Thank you.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: WINDOWS 10 ERROR 80240020 THIRD PARTY SECURITY PREVENTING UPGRADE

Hello MITCHINKB

I will try to find out from Norton, but being a Sunday, don't know if anyone from Norton will be around today, but I will try any way. This is for NSBU. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 1903 Norton Core Security Plus 22.19.8.65 Core Firmware 288 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Thanks floplot, Further info I am running a HP all in one with windows 8.1 64 bit with tons of unused space,I am not a technically profiecent user but have had NORTON on all 3 pc's for 5 years starting with WIN7 and NORTON 360.

Thanks for your reply,I hate to think I have to disable my protection to install win10.

Kudos0

Hello

I remember having to do that in Win XP days, but not since then. I'm still on Win 7. Staying like that for a while. I don't like to Beta test and I feel Win 10 even though officially released is still in beta testing conditions. Besides, this is the only computer I have.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 1903 Norton Core Security Plus 22.19.8.65 Core Firmware 288 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Hi MITCHINKB

Where did you see that 3rd party security will prevent upgrade to Windows 10 ?

That's the first time I heard about that.

If you have the "Get Windows 10" icon on your task bar then Windows 10 error 80240020 (update failed) just means that your computer does not yet have all the files necessary to make the update. When it is ready you will get a "popup" saying that you can now upgrade. Microsoft say it could be a few days (or weeks ?) before you get that popup message.

Kudos0

Currently I use NIS, not NSwBU, but I discovered several entries of error code 80240020 too; this was with Windows 7 Home Premium, not sure what was causing it. I tried several of the known fixes and workarounds to get the “Get Windows 10 App" upgrade process to work, but they didn't work for me and I still encountered the 80240020 error; so I decided to forgo the “Get Windows 10 App" upgrade process and use the Windows 10 Home Installation DVD that I had created from an ISO file and everything upgraded perfectly. Once the installation was completed and Windows 10 launched for the first time, I received a warning notification from NIS about using Echo, so I did change from Echo to Internet Explorer as my default browser to use all of the functionality and security of Norton Internet Security.

Kudos0

In a somewhat related incident, I am posting the following in case anyone here is having the same problem I am.  I did not reserve a copy of Windows 10 since I did not want it at this time on my Windows 7 computer.  To my surprise Windows 10 is trying to be pushed through as a Windows Update and continues to fail. 

Below is my post in the Microsoft Community seeking assistance.  I am awaiting a reply.  Another poster had a similar issue and the response from a Microsoft representative was to uninstall update KB3035583.  This did not work to stop the attempts by Microsoft to download Windows 10 to my computer. 

Posting in Microsoft Community:

"I did not want Windows 10 on my Windows 7 machine so I did not reserve a copy.  However, Windows Update is trying to push the download through and it is failing with an error code 80240020.  It also initially tried to update my Intel Graphics driver which I do not want either.  That also failed with an error code of 80246001.

In an attempt to prevent further tries by Windows Update to download Windows 10, I uninstalled and then hid previous updates KB3035583 and KB2952664.  I then did a system restore to the time just before Windows Update tried to Download Windows 10.  This seemed to work for several hours because when I checked for Windows Updates none were found and it was not showing that any installs failed.

Now I again checked for Windows Updates and I am still notified there are no updates but I am seeing in the Updates Installed area that it failed.  There is no update to hide for Windows 10 since it is failing.  All I want to do is get back to the point where Windows 10 is not trying to download and install. 

Does anyone have any ideas?  Thank you in advance." 

Kudos0

FWIW: AV-Comparatives in it's test results showing some security products that tests showed are Windows 10 compatible recommended that you uninstall your security product before upgrading. With your Windows Firewall up there is little or no danger.

Kudos0

Jaylato119:

In a somewhat related incident, I am posting the following in case anyone here is having the same problem I am.  I did not reserve a copy of Windows 10 since I did not want it at this time on my Windows 7 computer.  To my surprise Windows 10 is trying to be pushed through as a Windows Update and continues to fail. 

In Optional Updates Windows 10 is pre-checked. Not sure un-checking it does any good. I had the same issue. Once it starts, it will continue to download the next time you do an important update. You can stop the download of Windows 10 and the Important Updates will install. If you have your setting at "only download but ask me to install" not sure what would happen if Windows 10 fully downloaded. I finally caved and let Windows 10 install on my 5-hour old new PC after the day before an Upgrade to Windows 10 had failed and rendered my 4-month old former PC worthless, e.g., unbootable and irreparable. Luckily it upgraded to Windows 10 successfully in about an hour. I had no a/v installed as I was in the process of downloading and installing 147 Important Windows Updates on my new PC. I always do that before installing  my security package.

I had sworn that after my first experience I would NEVER Upgrade to Windows 10. NS is working perfectly with Windows 10 and I do not have the issue of Action Center saying NS and Windows Defender are both turned on. I am happy I upgraded. I like Windows 10, though I was perfectly content with Windows 8.1.

Kudos0

Thank you hok.  I don't even have Windows 10 showing as an optional update so unfortunately I can't hide it.  I did change my Windows Update setting to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them."   If I keep it at the recommended setting (that is, Install updates automatically), every time Windows Update checks for updates, it would tell me there were no updates yet it tries to download Windows 10.  I have a bunch of failures in my Update History. 

Good to know that there will probably not be a problem downloading other updates.  I am thinking ahead to Patch Tuesday on August 11, 2015.  I am/was concerned I would not be able to install "regular" updates as they are released for my operating system (Windows 7).  

Kudos0

HI :-)

Sorry to hear of your problems with Windows 10. Misery enjoys company. I still can't believe that Windows 10 upgrade totally destroyed the useability of my fast mid-level gaming rig.

I assume you have done so already but if not, try a search on the net for "ERROR 80240020" and you will see you have plenty of company. There are just as many alleged fixes as their are explanations - even from Microsoft Forum Moderators.

I do not know if you are aware, but the first night it was available many,many persons had the issue of the update "sticking." In one case the upgrade took nine hours. Most who gave up and rebooted had their PCs reverted to W 8.1 or whatever. I gave up after staring at a totally black screen for four hours. Sadly, my PC did not revert and was rendered useless with no possible way to fix it. This morning when I did the irrational and let the Upgrade run on a new PC I had shipped overnight from Amazon, it successfully completed in about an hour.

This Upgrade was not Microsoft's finest hour, especially given the big run-up and hull-a-ba-loo about The GREAT Windows 10.

Kudos0

Sorry hok that a perfectly good machine was rendered useless. 

Yes thank you, I did a search of error 80240020.  Most people though seem to want the Windows 10 upgrade.  I never reserved it so it caught me by surprise that Microsoft is trying to push it through automatically in Updates.  I prefer to stay with Windows 7 at least for the time being. 

As long as "regular" updates can be downloaded on Patch Tuesday I will view this as a minor inconvenience as I am fortunate my machine is still running fine. 

Kudos0

Windows 7  was a great OS. For some reason my System Restore stopped working, but I had no need for it.  Windows 7 was incredibly stable. Windows 7 ran flawlessly on my PC with no crashes, no needed re-stalls or restorations for years. The only reason I had Windows 8 was that the PC I had Windows 7 on did fail and the PC was so old my restoration discs had been destroyed by humidity. It was a Gateway F/X. an ACER predator in disguise after Acer bought Gateway, and at that time they did not come with a set of restoration media. You had to make your own and the disc that had the OEM Windows 7 on it had rotted. My new PC is an ACER Predator - big bang for the buck. It was Sunday night and the only store that was open was a Target and they were only selling Windows 8. The hard drive on that machine failed so I decided to replace it as it was a bit outdated. I replaced it with an ASUS ROG GR-20 AJ. That's the one my first Windows 10 Ugrade destroyed:  http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-2tb-h...

It had been running perfectly and I was very happy with it.

Kudos0

I, too, have been quite pleased with Windows 7. It serves my purposes well and that's why I want to stay with it until I need a new PC.   

Kudos1 Stats

hok; regarding the PC that you indicate is no longer useable after a failed Windows 10 upgrade. Have you tried downloading the appropriate Windows 10 ISO file from Microsoft, burning an installation DVD from the ISO file, and booting your computer from the DVD? Unless there is a problem with your motherboard and BIOS, that should allow you to boot from the DVD and perform a clean install of Windows 10. However, you'll need the valid Product Key for the version of Windows you had installed in order to perform this type of installation.

Kudos0

Thank you all for the input,I have decided to forget the windows 10 upgrade until next month,I figure by that time everyone will play nicely together,it's hell being the dumbest kid in class but I am grateful for all the posts .I will follow along on a similar thread to mine and hold the upgrade in check.

THANK YOU ALL

MITCHINKB

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.