• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Windows 10 Insider Preview 18908.1000.rs _prerelease.190524-1658

Hi All!
I can`t install Norton Security on Windows 10 Insider Preview 18908.1000.rs _prerelease.190524-1658.
On old version i have Norton Security ad all work OK. On upgrade Windows to new version Norton is start and after that i check live update. On new Norton update can`t install. 
I try -  Full remove Norton. Can`t Install - error.
I check logs :
 Error : CreateService failed: BHDrvx64 (1073)
Error : CreateService failed: ccSet_NGC (1073)
Error : CreateService failed: IDSVia64 (1073)
Error : CreateService failed: SymIRON (1073)
Error : CreateService failed: SRTSPX (1073)
And all over services have similar error.
 That's possible Microsoft change type of service creation?
Today is not possible install Norton for this Windows version? 

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Windows 10 Insider Preview 18908.1000.rs _prerelease.190524-1658

Norton does not support pre release/beta software.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

And all over services have similar error.

Are you referring to just the Norton services having the error, or do other programs show similar issues.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Only Norton services can`t install. All over programs is working.

Kudos1 Stats

All: The error 1073 insists those services already exist thus cannot be created according to this Microsoft Document article. If you have older Norton software installed remove them following the tip below.

ERROR_SERVICE_EXISTS

1073 (0x431)

The specified service already exists.

My suggestion is using the removal tool, performing a REMOVAL only. Perform a clean boot with "fast startup" disabled. Reboot a second time and attempt reinstallation of the Norton product. As F 4 E has noted Norton is NOT guaranteed to work with insider builds, that being said, I have ran Norton on insider builds without issues and having fast startup disabled. If install fails again, most likely Norton isn't setting the appropriate registry entries to disable the portions of WD that it needs to for a complete install.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.239 / N360 Deluxe 22.17.3.50 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Kudos1 Stats

No, it does not work. I think it's time to abandon Norton. It should work with prerelease versions of windows.
Kudos2 Stats

No developer is going to guarantee their products will work with a pre release, beta version of an OS. Those versions can change overnight, leaving no time to even see what is in the new version.

Kudos0

This services is not exists!
My steps is:
1. Uninstall Norton
2. Use removal tool, reboot.
3. Disable fast startup.
4. Disable Defender.
5.  Start install Norton.
Problem is exists!

Kudos2 Stats

NemoNN. As was previously posted Norton simply does NOT officially support insider preview builds on Windows 10, please read this article.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.239 / N360 Deluxe 22.17.3.50 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Kudos1 Stats

No, it does not work. I think it's time to abandon Norton. It should work with prerelease versions of windows.

chelman, good luck with that idea. Why would Norton support programs still in development ?

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Because it sells itself as the leader in protection, as a trusted company, as the longest living company in the computer protection business. It should work close with Microsoft to develop solutions.

Kudos0

Pre-release versions of Windows are a moving target.  It has already been explained to you why Symantec do not support pre-release Operating Systems.  From my experience all Norton security products do work fine by the time the OS reaches Release Candidate stage.

If you choose to use pre-release OS's expect incompatibilities.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos1 Stats

All: Have a look at the almost daily changes to Windows reported here. Running the W10 Windows Defender is the best option for insiders. As a former insider I speak from my experiences with them. I ran ESET, Norton 360 on three machines and had mixed results. I then just stuck with WD. Too many changes for any A/V company to keep up with much less take on the legal and financial risks.

Cheers

Kudos2 Stats

Permalink, do you work for Symantec, own stock, or what is your situation to defend them? Instead of paying the megabucks to their CEO and other managers, it would help the company to be working proactively with Microsoft Insider Preview Program. I've been loyal to Symantec for many years and they have abandon me, now it's my turn to abandon them. I think they should take care of their customers better than they care of their CEO and their investors.

Kudos3 Stats

I think the dead horse has been beaten here. Myself nor any other Guru are employees of Norton nor Symantec. Not in defense of anything other than OUR experiences are our suggestions to those who ask for why and how. If anyone wrote code that wasn't "shared" with the entire IT community, there is no way the community can keep up. And when those changes are as fast as a daily change of trousers, do you see the picture? When a RTM release is ready Microsoft generally gives A/V providers as well as providers who write the driver code, the information they need to make their products compatible with that RTM. BETA is just that. BETA. Not RTM. Pardon me for being brash, the complaining is a waste of time.

Cheers

Kudos4 Stats

Thanks for the info. I hadn't received any error msg's concerning Norton until I rebooted after doing an update from another application. Didn't catch the error msg but thought it would have to do with the MS build released but found nothing on their forum and came here. Got lucky (or unlucky depending) on a possible solution.  As an ongoing Beta tester over various other programs I'm fully aware of the inherent risks involved where others think that a Beta is a safe product. It's not. I've tried what has been suggested with no success unfortunately and as Microsoft has stated before be prepared for problems.

Since there is usually no undo feature for being on the fast ring the only option available is to do a clean reinstall of the OS and update then stay away from the fast ring if you're under the false impression that untested updates are error free. (you opted in to being one of those test subjects, nobody told you to.) My best advice is don't.

And Cleman your avatar fits.

Most if not all other software developers don't get advanced copies, I'm not an employee, have no stock interest except my using their software. Yours is the usual reply given when you don't get your answer and try a different blame game. I've heard and still hear it from newbie's that don't know what their getting into when testing untested waters.

Kudos1 Stats

chelman:

Permalink, do you work for Symantec, own stock, or what is your situation to defend them? Instead of paying the megabucks to their CEO and other managers, it would help the company to be working proactively with Microsoft Insider Preview Program. I've been loyal to Symantec for many years and they have abandon me, now it's my turn to abandon them. I think they should take care of their customers better than they care of their CEO and their investors.

Um chelman, Permalink is not a person. SoulAsylum is the person to whom you replied.

Perhaps it's best you find another AV provider who I am sure will fit your idea of what realistically works, and what won't.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

i see the same problem in my area for install norton is module error

that prevent to install so previous builds of windows 10 insider did worked

that should see in logs of install what cause it

Kudos0

And I wish him luck in that given how often MS is sending out new content of 1 per week, hence why it would be near impossible to keep from having problems.

Kudos0

MS release new Windows update 18912.
Problem remained. Norton can`t install.
I f Symantec have Norton beta version - i can  test!

Kudos0

Same problem with 18908

Harald
Kudos3 Stats

Hi,

We don't support pre-release builds. But we are aware of this issue. We are looking into it. Thank you for sharing your feedback on Norton Community. 

-Gayathri

Gayathri R | Norton Forums Global Community Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

in feedback hub i reported on it  almost two weeks ago and they look at it i going to push comments on the install problem

until they fix it for the next build code for testing and paste the log when norton install failed to get installed on windows 10 insider machine

this attract microsoft engineers i did what i have to do

Kudos0

Yes, many of us using Insider Previews know that already.  I've been using both Norton Internet Security and Windows Insider Fast Ring for several years, often with Preview updates once or twice a week.  I even got prerelease 18908 to install, but 18912.rs won't play.

'Norton doesn't support prerelease software' has been applying since the Insider Program started.  The question is rather more "Why did all the other Insider Previews install OK, but not this one?". 

A supplemental question, which I have so far failed to get through to Norton Support, is "Why not have a volunteer Norton program like Insider Preview?" (that is without the Retail guarantees) so that we can all test that with a prerelease as well?  Norton must already be testing against these previews so that, when MS releases a new public version, NIS works immediately.

Kudos1 Stats

They have the "Early Adopter Program" but not sure what it's exactly about. It would be good to have this program work with the Windows Insider Program.

Kudos1 Stats

I have been having issues with Norton as well with my pre release build I am running ver 1709 18362.145 on the slow release stream. My last build was delivered in April and has been working fine with the existing Norton Security. I upgraded to 360 this weekend and have now lost several critical drivers (including bio metric drivers for Window Hello / drivers for the IR camera and my Bluetooth Mouse drivers). I have established that it is actually the Norton Product Removal tool which has caused my issues, which in a way is far worse than the security suite causing the problem - I really do not expect a propriety Software removal tool to affect divers irrespective of  the operating system being supported or not. Symantec have already logged onto my laptop and the technician not only refused to accept the removal tool as being the cause, he also did not send me the transcript of the conversation even after being asked too. This is totally unacceptable and after nearly 20 years of using Norton Security I am thinking of going elsewhere because of the poor technical support. I disagree that Norton cant possibly support pre release versions as they are out in the wild for many months and it really makes sense for them to iron out issues using these versions - I agree there should really be a pre release version available. However the issue with the removal tool I have goes beyond release version as the removal tool should run on any version of Windows 10 and never interfere with other functionality - that is simply rubbish.

Kudos0

I sympathize and agree with your position. I had a similar experience with the tech support people that uninstalled even Norton Utilities. I had to abandon NIS because they abandon me after many years of been a loyal user. I'm using the security solution my ISP provides. 

Kudos0

It appears to be roughly what I would like, but it's by invitation only, not application. That might be the 'deal breaker' for me. It seems excellent business sense and developer benefit to have it tested by Windows Insiders. :-0
Kudos0

I disagree that Norton cant possibly support pre release versions as they are out in the wild for many months and it really makes sense for them to iron out issues using these versions -

The problem is that there is not one specific build left out for the 'many months' you refer to. As noted, the Insider versions can change many times a week. No developer can keep up that kind of pace, with all the testing required before putting out a release. When MS puts out a Release Candidate version of Windows, that version is/should be fairly stable, giving the developers time to finalize their products.

All Norton can do with the posts in this thread is take the information to give to their engineers, so going forward, it will help Norton to be ready when the Release Candidate comes along. 

Kudos0

I agree with that reasoning, although the idea of giving info to Norton Engineers is probably unnecessary. I would be stunned if there are none already on the same build as me (18912.rs_prerelease.190601-1739) and trying to find out why Norton Internet Security won't install.
Kudos0

Phillip Birch:
I agree with that reasoning, although the idea of giving info to Norton Engineers is probably unnecessary. I would be stunned if there are none already on the same build as me (18912.rs_prerelease.190601-1739) and trying to find out why Norton Internet Security won't install.

But do they have the exact combination of hardware and software you are using?  That can be a big factor in many incompatibilities found in software.  With the millions of combinations of hardware and software all over the world, it sometimes amazes me that anything works on a Windows computer.

Kudos2 Stats

To those who disagree that Norton cant possibly support pre-release versions as they are out in the wild for many months and it really makes sense for them to iron out issues using these versions -

They are not. They are first subjected to in house testing on various configuration machines... but that's only a start.

Let me throw some more things at you. MS 'does not' just give other companies a constant feed of their updates just as other companies don't constantly feed them theirs. This includes video companies, dvd companies, audio companies and so forth. You asked what could have caused the problem: Several possible factors. A change in accessing an API perhaps or the lockdown of a registry. It's up to the software engineers to determine it. What if its not MS but Norton who did a registry change that locked them out. Who finds what? Companies 'do not' just give others access to the newer code that hasn't been tested while working out the bugs, patches and so forth. Also no company worth their grain of salt is going to sit idle waiting for another company. This includes MS and Symantec. This includes their software for even minor fixes. They can take weeks, months and ARE NOT released openly in the wild for testing. We who sign up are of a closed group to find said problems and that's why those who do are willing to RISK their own personal data in allowing companies to use their hardware as a test item to help. Not all computers have the same hardware or software. It's even stated that those who sign up should be aware of the risks of 'losing' their data. Hence why 'you' opt in and are not 'forced' and need to be dilliegent on doing backups. No company is perfect. No software is perfect. No hardware is perfect. Do you think really think Norton would 'allow' their own software updates to be released without testing. If so I can sell you ocean property on Mars. They as well as other companies are constantly upgrading their software be it virus protection or backup software and guess what, conflicts can occur. No company can keep up with another as they try to be competitive. All updates no matter who they are from are moving targets against one another. Why something 'didn't' happen earlier may have been the result of not having anything to do with the latest update once sent out to be field tested.

Kudos0

A very good point - I'll have to back down on that one. They may have similar software, but there's almost no chance they will have the same hardware. I've built my own PCs for several years, with the new build being the Insider Preview machine and the replaced one moving on to be a Linux box. If any Norton engineers read this, the PC is an Asus PRIME X299-A MoBo, with a watercooled Intel i7-7800X @ 3.5 GHz, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM, 500GB Crucial P1 M.2 NVMe SSD, Radeon RX580 graphics.
Kudos0

peterweb......... A very good point - I'll have to back down on that one. They may have similar software, but there's almost no chance they will have the same hardware. I've built my own PCs for several years, with the new build being the Insider Preview machine and the replaced one moving on to be a Linux box. If any Norton engineers read this, the PC is an Asus PRIME X299-A MoBo, with a watercooled Intel i7-7800X @ 3.5 GHz, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM, 500GB Crucial P1 M.2 NVMe SSD, Radeon RX580 graphics.
Kudos1 Stats

Just an update with the release of Windows 10 Insider Preview 18917.re_prerelease.190607-1942.

No it did not fix the problem for my computer as I still received an error on trying to install with the current version of Norton 22.17.2.47. Nor am I able to send in the log even after disabling the firewall and win defender. MSG says it needs internet connection yet I 'downloaded' it with no problem then proceeded to install.

For those wanting a solution your choices are as follows: Wait for this to be fixed, by either MS or Symantec. Do a clean reinstall after saying your data as you cannot go back and then stay away from being part of the Preview as per the statement that is posted for each Preview release as with this new update.

Today we are releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18917 (20H1) to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring.

IMPORTANT: As is normal with builds early in the development cycle, these builds may contain bugs that might be painful for some. If you take this flight, you won’t be able to switch Slow or Release Preview rings without doing a clean-install on your PC.

Those saying they would like to be part of Nortons Beta I have a very important question for you. You are currently in one Beta program since your on the Preview ring and YOU want to be part of another Beta while still in another? That would be 2 beta's that most likely WILL conflict with each other. So if I was Symantec I would tell you No. Not unless you did a clean install for they will NOT want to be responsible or will they want to risk it if you hose your system. For the ultimate answer for the fix will be --- Format/Reinstall.

Remember --- all Releases in the Preview are subject to change and then what will likely happen is to have what they want to release out for the public will be rolled out as either one major update just like they just recently did back in May.

Kudos0

For those part of MS Pre-release program MS released Build 18932. Although it does not state so this version has allowed the re-installation of Norton itself.

Be sure to use to latest download version from Symantec's website after updating to the newer update build 189932.