• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Windows 1803 build uses windows defender

Just had Windows 10 version 1803 build installed onto my computer.  Windows Defender antivirus has taken over.  When I checkout the current antivirus programs on my computer, I see defender (which is turned on and NIS (which is turned off).  I cannot turn on NIS because that capability has been ghosted by Windows 10 even if I temporarily turn off defender.  I guess the ghosting is Windows 10's way of preventing two antivirus programs from working at the same time because that would substantially slow down the computer and Windows 10 has chosen defender.  When I attempt to turn off defender, my computer says defender is snoozing and the turn off is temporary.  I've found out defender can be permanently turned off with a special version of Windows 10 which I don't have.

I want to turn on and use NIS antivirus and turn off Windows defender antivirus.  How can I do that?

Thanks, Mark.

Replies

Accepted Solution
Kudos1 Stats

Re: Windows 1803 build uses windows defender

Mark,

I suggest running the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool which will download a fresh new copy of Norton and uninstall your current copy.

Be sure to read the "Before you begin" section.  Once your new copy is installed, run Live Update, restarting your machine where required, until no more updates are found.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Mark in addition to what Krusty13 has advised, after the re-install and restart check Control Panel > Security and Maintenance, and it should show that Norton is managing your security, and that Defender has been disabled.

Windows 10 Home X 64 Norton Security Premium Current
Kudos0

These suggestions worked.  I have to place a caveat, however.  When I ran Norton Removal and Reinstall, the program removed my current NIS, my computer restarted, then...nothing...no NIS.  I had to manually reinstall NIS.

Windows 10's control panel says NIS is turned on.

Kudos0

Hello

Did you run the Remove and Reinstall Tool in Remove only, restart, and then reinstall from your Norton Account and run Live Update until no new Updates?

Have a Nice Day and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Was there an option for remove only in the remove and reinstall?  I didn't see it.  Didn't think I used that option.  Why didn't Norton Remove and Reinstall reinstall the newest version of NIS?  I used the link provided by a former post in this thread. I'm not going to run Norton Remove and Reinstall again to see.

Yes.  I ran Live Update to its conclusion.

Kudos0

When your computer restarted after the uninstall part, did you sign into a Windows Admin account? That is required for the automatic running of the reinstall process.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.