• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1 Stats

Windows Explorer crashes when N360 service is running (Win7 Prof)

Having the Norton 360 service running, it crashes my Windows Explorer when logging into an ftp site. The error message is: "Windows Explorer has stopped working...Windows Explorer is restarting..."  I figure this problem is related to the backup drive issue here as Norton creates this virtual drive on my computer that appears in Windows Explorer, and Norton 360 crashes that program when using it as a ftp access tool. I have Win7 Professional and Norton 360 3.5.2.11 . Is there a way to completely remove the virtual backup drive? Message Edited by wiscmel on 12-28-2009 09:42 PM<<edit:subject edited for the moved post>>
Message Edited by JerryM on 12-31-2009 04:31 AM

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Windows Explorer crashes when N360 service is running (Win7 Prof)

Im having exactly the same problem since installing 360 except in Vista. Windows Explorer crashes when accessing ftp. I contacted Norton's support about this, the first operator told me to run NRT then reinstall 360 which I did and the same problem occured. The next time that I contacted support the operator told me to turn the fire wall off and see if that works and to try the fix in this thread http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=Norton_360&thread.id=1460 all of which I did which didnt fix the problem When I contacted Norton's again they told me to turn off 360 completely, that fixed the problem. They then escalated the problem to the support manager, he ran a remote session and removed some files in my registry, which didnt fix the problem. He then advised that he would get an engineer to contact me promptly within 24 hours with a fix. This was on Friday, its now Sunday and no one has contacted me with the fix. All I can do is to uninstall 360 and install some other brand of anti virus until Norton addresses this problem and advises how to fix it
Message Edited by aquastar on 01-02-2010 06:27 PMMessage Edited by aquastar on 01-02-2010 06:29 PM
Kudos0

Hi Aquastar

It's a holiday weekend all around the world. Perhaps they will contact you on Monday. Symantec staff do look at the threads in the forums and sometimes post in them also. Symantec Staff are in Red. On a holiday weekend you won't find many if any Symantec staff reading these threads. Also this is mainly a user to user forum, so we all try and help each other.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Thanks for the reply, but is there a fix for this? The engineer still hasn't contacted me with a fix and sadly support hasn't replied to emails about this. Its way after the holiday period now, so you would expect that the support team would be back at work now 
Kudos0

Hi!  Was there ever any resolution to this?  I haven't been able to use my Windows Explorer FTP since installing N360 either!  I'm using N360 Version: 3.0.0.134 and Vista 64 Home Premium

Thanks!

Kudos0

If you do a manual  'Run Liveupdate' from the bottom of the norton window , you should be able to get the latest version,  3.8.0.41.

You may have to run this a couple of times.

Restart if it is requested.

This will get you the latest security.

You'll find the version number , by  opening the Norton window and clicking 'Help & Support', then About.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.