• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Windows Insider Build 14342 will cause BSOD

Per Gabe Aul's Blog released at 8:01 PM PDT 5/10/2016 (01:01 UTC 5/11/2016)

Known issues for PC

• Symantec products such as Norton Antivirus and Norton Internet Security are causing PCs to bluescreen (bug check).

This issue first appeared in builds beyond 14316 to include the last fast ring build 14332. A patch was released for version 22.6.xxx on May 3, 2016, and the issue was fixed, apparently it has returned in this build. Can anyone verify and if so post .dmp files and BSOD error codes and source files?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Windows Insider Build 14342 will cause BSOD

I am running a quick scan now. It has processed 10k files without any problem.

Update - quick scan finished without any problems other than a few cookies 

Kudos0

KeanBird:

I am running a quick scan now. It has processed 10k files without any problem.

Update - quick scan finished without any problems other than a few cookies 

As I suspected: this is a delayed notation from Microsoft prior to Symantec releasing the driver update that fixed the issue.

No need to worry here folks! If this problem was still occurring and widespread a lot more people would have already been here even though this flight was just released.

I'm going to start the update on my server once I'm done with all my RDP stuff like updating SAS and BBU and UPS information.

I'm actually looking forward to this build and the tighter Linux integration. I'm so used to Linux that I am looking forward to when bash is fully implemented and I can just used Linux commands while using Powershell to manage Exchange and Active Directory but that's on Win2K12 R2 and not Win 10 like the server I'm about to update.

Norton Security with Backup: Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview (Fast Ring) 64bit // Windows 10 Pro 64bit (Parallels Desktop for Mac) // Windows 10 Pro 64bit // Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Kudos0

Yep.  Working fine with latest Norton update patch.

Kudos0

I've run quick scan: No problem with Build 14342 & Norton 22.6.0.142: NO BSOD ;)

Kudos0

Great to hear!!! I'm patiently waiting in the upgrade queue...severe weather in my area nixed the upgrade last night with power and internet down briefly enough to reset process.. so I could not verify this morning.  I posted this thread as soon as I saw Gabe's blog post come out last night. 

Kudos0

I will wait to upgrade to this build until more can confirm that there is no BSOD with this build. Don't want to mess us my laptop.

Kudos0

I have Windows 10 build 14342.rs1_160506-1708 working fine on two computers.  Make sure you do a Norton Live Update before you scan.

Kudos0

Symantec products such as Norton Antivirus and Norton Internet Security are causing PCs to bluescreen (bug check).
Read more at https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/05/10/announcing-window...

This now has a strikethrough though it. Does this mean they know the error was fixed? If this means that they found out the BSOD was fixed before releasing this build then I'll install it.

Kudos0

It as fixed a while back with a Live Update (read the last 8-10 messages above yours).  Just make sure you "force" multiple live updates until there are no more to make sure you have the fix.

Kudos0

Posted: 19-May-2016 | 3:30AM • Edited: 19-May-2016 | 3:31AM • Permalink

It as fixed a while back with a Live Update (read the last 8-10 messages above yours).  Just make sure you "force" multiple live updates until there are no more to make sure you have the fix.

I have the fix on the version of the insder build I have now. Is that enough to go ahead and install the newest build?

Kudos0

The "fix" isn't on the insider build it's on NAV software as well. Just make sure you do multiple MANUAL LIVE UPDATES until there are no more.

Kudos0

Ed F:

The "fix" isn't on the insider build it's on NAV software as well. Just make sure you do multiple MANUAL LIVE UPDATES until there are no more.

I know that I am saying I already have it. You miss understood me. I did the live updates to get it when the fix was announced. Just wanted to fully make sure it was ok to upgrade is all with the strikeout MS did.

Kudos0

Yes. Reading the previous messages will tell you it is been working fine since the Norton patch.
Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Yes, the compatibility crash problem has been fixed and Norton should work fine now.

Mohanakrishnan G | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Thread Closed.  Thank you to all who replied and Mohan_G

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.