Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!
Yahoo Messenger 8.1 can't send or share files
From my perspective here is what I am running into:
1) I cannot successfully run Yahoo IM 9 with NIS 2008 installed. I have configured NIS to "Allow" Yahoo IM through the firewall, and have configured Yahoo IM configured to "Firewall with No Proxies". This configuration does not yield a successful login at all.
2) When I re-configure Yahoo IM to "No Proxies" I am able to login successfully but I cannot share or send files to another chat user at all. The images in photo share come up grey and if I try sending a file it never goes through.
3) I then shutdown all the NIS services and re-started my computer to test whether NIS is the issue or not. Your online tech support folks told me that once all the NIS services are stopped, and the computer is restarted, it cannot be NIS that is causing the Yahoo issue. I tested Yahoo IM again and was able to login with "No Proxies" but again not able to share files or send files.
4) I completely removed NIS from my computer and restarted. I then started Yahoo with "No Proxies" and was able to successfully send files and share files with another chat user. This proved that Yahoo is not the issue and that NIS, even with all Symantec services stopped still was interfering in some way.
5) I then configured Yahoo IM with "Firewall with No Proxies" and was again able to send files and share files with another chat user.
So with all the testing I have done I can say that there is an incompatibility with NIS 2008 and Yahoo IM 9. I have been forced to go back to Yahoo IM 8.1, but that still has the same issue sharing or sending files. It can login successfully in "Firewall with No Proxies" or "No Proxies" configuration.
I hope this wasnt too long of an email.
[Edit: These posts have been moved to get better exposure to the issue, and because they differ from the original post in the previous thread, and the title has been updated]Message Edited by Tony_Weiss on 05-21-2008 10:52 AM