• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

You might want to make NIS 16.2.0.7 "Norton Trusted"...

After all if NIS/NAV 16.2.0.7 can't trust it's own processes who can it trust? 

Oh and on a side note, Norton System Works 12 still isn't "Norton Trusted" either and it's been a few months since it was released.  Unless Norton think's it's own programs are malicious. 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: You might want to make NIS 16.2.0.7 "Norton Trusted"...

After all if NIS/NAV 16.2.0.7 can't trust it's own processes who can it trust? 

Oh and on a side note, Norton System Works 12 still isn't "Norton Trusted" either and it's been a few months since it was released.  Unless Norton think's it's own programs are malicious. 

Kudos0

Not malicious, just not as accepted by the community.

Insight should leverage user reviews as well, not just wheter or not the majority of people have it running on their computer, kind of like MS SpyNet. It shows what percentage of the community chose to block or allow the program. 

Nice observation.

=\
Kudos0

Well there are two trusted levels: "Norton Trusted" and "Community Trusted".  According to the popup that appears when hovering over the "I":

Norton Trusted:  Files of well known programs that are recognized by Norton as safe and threat-free.

Community Trusted: Files that are recognized as safe by a large population of Norton Customers.

I could understand NIS 16.2.0.7 (other other Norton programs) not being "Community Trusted" yet, but not being "Norton Trusted" (i.e. recognized by Norton as safe) is absurd.

For what's it's worth when NIS 16.1 was released, they changed to "Norton Trusted" the same day the install occurred, I just had to refresh the Norton Insight page.  This time refreshing does nothing.

Message Edited by Morac on 12-19-2008 09:49 PM
Kudos0

Probably afraid to trust Norton files because they are often targeted and hijacked.

And if you look under ccsvchst, most of the .dll's are trusted; if you switch to "high" trust then all of them will be trusted.Message Edited by Tech0utsider on 12-20-2008 10:14 AM
=\
Kudos0

I'm sorry but that's just silly. 

The Norton files are very well protected as not even Windows can touch them when NIS/NAV's protection feature is enabled. 

If the Norton files are hijacked that means NIS/NAV has failed to do it's job and your system has already compromised.  At that point you might as well reformat.

Oh and as of today NIS 16.2.0.7 is now "Norton Trusted".   Norton Protected Recycle Bin still isn't though.

Message Edited by Morac on 12-21-2008 12:10 AM
Kudos0

Morac wrote:

I'm sorry but that's just silly. 

The Norton files are very well protected as not even Windows can touch them when NIS/NAV's protection feature is enabled.

Of couse Windows can't touch them with Tamper Protection on. Windows plays by the rules. Who said hackers do?

Morac wrote:

Oh and as of today NIS 16.2.0.7 is now "Norton Trusted".   Norton Protected Recycle Bin still isn't though.

You tried "High" trust yet? Note that most of the dlls are trusted with "standard" trust

Morac wrote:

If the Norton files are hijacked that means NIS/NAV has failed to do it's job and your system has already compromised.  At that point you might as well reformat.

That is very possible, considering that there are well over 65 million Norton community users alone. There are many ways to go about this, which I am not going to explain in detail.

=\
Kudos0

Even if a Hacker did Infect Norton Files, Auto-Protect should have you covered. 
Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]
Kudos0

Floating_Red wrote:
Even if a Hacker did Infect Norton Files, Auto-Protect should have you covered. 

There are also numerous ways to delete and corrupt Norton. 

=\

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.