• Todas las Comunidades
    • Todas las Comunidades
    • Foros
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Avanzado

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1 Stats

Norton Toolbar Separator Issue on IE and Firefox

There is a separator issue on both Internet Explorer and Firefox. When you have Identity Safe disabled you'll see the separator in the Share Via space where it shouldn't be (Internet Explorer) On Firefox the separator becomes doubled up next to Share Via.

Screenshots;

Internet Explorer;

Firefox;

I'd consider this a cosmetic bug.

Norton Toolbar 2015.2.0.16

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.17.x

Respuestas

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar Separator Issue on IE and Firefox

Hi SGFC,

Bad news, I can not duplicate on my Win 7 64 bit  desktop running NSBU and using IE 10 and FF 35.

Kudos0

I found it (in Firefox)!

But it was hard to notice this “cosmetic bug” (?).

Win7 x64 / FF 35.0.1

NS Deluxe / NS Online - Win10 // NMS on Android phones.
Kudos0

ID Safe ON: - using FF 35.01 in NSBU on Win 7

ID Safe OFF

My spacing appears to be fine and shows the Vault opened or closed as the case may be??

I disabled ID Safe in Settings > Identity Protection.  How did you disable ID Safe?

Kudos0

FWIW - Like Yank's observation, the NTB render and "spacing" appears "mostly" correct here as well, in both browsers...

I think you'll eventually discover that this is related to one or more of a few simple factors -

1) Current video display driver (least likely),
2) Currently selected Windows text/font choices & sizes,
3) Currently selected Windows font scaling (percentage) setting.

The last of which being the most likely cause in the case of many notebook devices with HD display panels.  This since a greater than (100% "normal") percentage value is often a pre-chosen OEM setting meant to enhance the notebook display's readability (i.e. choosing a 125% font scaling instead of the normal 100% scaling setting) - It commonly arises on HD display capable notebooks that are 17", 17.3", 18", etc. physical display size with resolution capability of 1920x1080 or greater.  It can also be easily remedied by setting the scaling value to the normal 100% (though be aware that doing so can make rendered fonts less "visually comfortable" to read/view).

Kind regards,

John

Edit - Added for Yank - The ID safe can be disabled (removes it from the NTB) within the product's (NS, NIS, etc.) main GUI / Settings...  Cheers!

Kudos1 Stats

@yank & avjohnnie
Both of your screenshots are with IDSafe ON. You must turn off through Settings > Identiy Protection > Identy Safe (ON | OFF) and RESTART THE BROWSER.

FF: You must enlarge the image to more clearly find the double separators.

IE11: I think I have found what SGFC means:

Please wait for image moderation (or use imacri's workaround)

Edit: You can skip imacri's workaround now.

Edit2: After my edit, the images are 'in moderation' for the second time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kudos0

Thanks John for the added clarification...

I was able to duplicate both your and SGFC's observations - specifically, the double vertical IDSafe control area separator on the FF NTB (if IDSafe is disabled) and the overlapping control areas on the IE NTB (if IDSafe is disabled).

So this does seem to be a Norton NTB rendering issue and has nothing to do with any other Windows and/or Video driver settings.

Thanks - Good catch!

John

Kudos0

@SGFC

I don't mean to offend you, but are you always a pedant of that format? Or have I misunderstand something?

(google tells me: pedant = a person who is excessively concerned with minor details and rules or with displaying academic learning)

Kudos0

@ All,

Restart to change the ID Safe Setting for Share  - I know that - but sure forgot to do it.  Once I did I got the same thing as everyone else.  I never noticed it before as I never let the Share display.

This is my normal set-up without Share and this is with ID Safe OFF and ZIE restarted.  Appears since there is no Share, there is no double line/misalignment.

Kudos0

With Internet Explorer if you hover your mouse pointer over the Share Via the separator line disappears.
Kudos0

yank: “no Share = no double line/misalignment”
SGFC: “hover your mouse pointer over the Share Via the separator line disappears (IE)”
Confirmed; this bug is now thoroughly analyzed!

The misalignment in FF “disappears” through yank's normal setup.

Kudos0

I was hoping Symantec would address this issue. Disabling everything on the toolbar does solve the problem. But that's not really a solution.

Kudos0

I don't know if my current problem is related to this thread it seems similar.

I installed Norton Security last night. Today I am having problems with the add-ons in IE11. At first, on my "user" account, everything was OK. Then I turned "Safe Search" on in the drop down box. Later I turned it off again (I think). Anyway right now I can't see anything other than the "x" to for disabling the add-on - the rest of the toolbar is invisible or not there.

If I run IE11 as administrator, the toolbar has the "x" and the Norton label plus icon, the web site is safe and checkbox, the facebook share and the three dots/circles. The Norton label, however, looks like a blow-up of the one I see others here post. This might be because I have the large font checked and the "ignore font size specified on webpages" accessibility option checked. (Chrome shows the same general toolbar but leaves the Norton part alone and blows up the words so that they overlap.)

I made gifs of these but the upload function doesn't allow picture formats that I can make.

Another thing on the user account. After most of the toolbar components disappeared, I was going to try removing the "safe search" search provider and reselecting it but I couldn't figure out how to reselect it. So right now the entry under "Search providers" in IE11 is missing. (I can't see how this could matter since it seems to just be a list by priority of search engines.)

Is there a way to get the rest of the toolbar contents back or visible?

Kudos0

Hello Tadpole

If you click on the Add-on, then on the bottom , you should be able to enable it. What operating system are you using? What is the version number of your Norton Security? Have you run Live Update until there are no more updates? If you are using Win 8, then you should disable Fast Startup as Norton requires a complete shutdown at times.

Please come back and let us know how you made out. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

floplot, I'm sorry. I should have been clearer. I will just talk about the user account with the almost empty content in the Norton toolbar in this post.

The add-on is enabled. I have tried disabling it and reinabling it several times. I have even tried rebooting. It remains the same. I have also tried the exhaustive update and I think I went to the end.

The toolbar, when enabled, seems to launch. I can tell this because a new toolbar line appears with a separator and a "x". Clicking the "x" results in a popup "Do you want to disable this add-on" etc. So the toolbar is enabled. It just has no useful content. Most important is the absence of the any way to get to the options so I cannot do a reset since the three orange dots/circles are also missing.

I seem to have created the problem by playing around with the Norton Safe Search setting. As I recall I toggled it twice. After the second toggle, the toolbar content reduced to just the "x". I don't remember if I toggled the Safe Share. I don't remember toggling it but I have been thinking. If I put both Safe Search and Safe Share in the off position, would the access to the options also disappear? If so, that might explain it but it doesn't make sense to me why you can never turn these back on. Software usually is resilient to a dufus like me.

I am running Windows 7 (64-bit) with IE11 (32-bit). The NS version is 22.1.0.9 and the toolbar version is 2015.2.0.13. I bought the registration key on Amazon recently during a sale and downloaded the software.

Kudos0

Interesting situation Tadpole, as you can see, I have turned off both the Safe Share and the Safe Search and still retain the basic toolbar structure.

Using an Admin account, In order to turn Safe Search and Safe share back on, under the three dot dropdown move the gray slider to the left (done by clicking on the currently white portion of the button) and restart your browser after the buttons turn Green.

The only other suggestion I have at the moment is to return all the IE font settings to their default and see if using the large font may have an impact.

If you are using a non-admin privileged user account, you cannot change any settings unless you have it set up to be able to do that in the Norton GUI.  That may be why you can not change settings with a non-admin user account.

Kudos0

As I said the difference in your toolbar and mine is that I have only the "x" and nothing else so I cannot get to the settings at all. On the admin account there is no problem.... And yes, I can change settings for the toolbar in IE11 in a standard user account without a promotion to admin privileges. In fact the settings seem to be personalized for each account.

I have studied the problem quite extensively both from the admin and user account. There is some hope to restoring the entry in the search provider list but, as I said before, I deleted this after the toolbar was already down to the "x" only state, not realizing that there is no obvious way of restoring the entry. (I do have an idea of a registry edit that might restore the entry by simply copying the key from the other account but I don't think the presence or absence in the list is the problem.) I couldn't find a way to fool the actual on/off settings for safe search though. Remember I don't have access to the settings from the toolbar or anywhere; I have only the "x" to disable the toolbar.

I am beginning to think that if I can't find a way to delete and restore the add-on, I am left with removing and reinstalling NS. What a pity if a complete install is necessary to restore this add-on to operational level.

Kudos0

One more long shot prior to doing the remove/reinstall of NS.  Go to Settings > scroll down to Product Security > Non-Admins Access to Settings >, turn it on and Apply.  I believe as reboot is required to enable it and then go to the non-admin account and see what you have and also if you can change settings via Norton from that account.   I do not believe it will help, but I have seen weirder things and please be sure to log out of the admin account prior to switching to the non-admin.

A bit more info re: this setting:

Lets you access and configure all the options in the Settings window from a non-admin user account as well.

By default, this option is turned off. You need to log in to your computer as an administrator to turn on this option. You cannot access the Settings window if the Settings window is opened in some other user account on your computer.

My thinking is perhaps if you still have settings opened in the admin account and/or still logged in when trying to use the non-admin account, there could be something interacting between the two?

Kudos0

yank, Thanks but the Non-Admin Access was "ON" and I wasn't still logged into the admin account. Not surprising that it was "ON" since I made the changes that caused my problems while I was in the user account. The NS default would appear to be "ON" for that option as I had not made any changes to it that I recall. If not, perhaps it picked up a setting from the NIS that was uninstalled.
Kudos0

Actually the Default for that setting is OFF.  But with it off, then you could not change the Settings in your non-admin account.

I'll flag this for a Norton employee who works with ID Safe and hopefully can assist:

@prasanna_a  Any thoughts on this mysterious "X" and no more of the Norton Toolbar present?

Kudos0

Well, I reinstalled NS using the remove and reinstall tool from Norton. It did not fix it. I noticed during the process that it saved the user settings. This may be why the reinstallation didn't work. Alternatively it could be the IE 11 settings that need mods and not the NS settings. I have this nightmare of reinstalling IE or editing the registry in the IE settings area or deleting the user account (shudder) or reinstalling all of everything (faint).

Kudos1 Stats

Hi Tadpole,

Two things to try here:

Launch IE, right click on the menu bar area and check if the "Lock the toolbars" option is enabled.If yes, then try to uncheck that option and try to drag/drop the Norton toolbar. Basically try to move the norton toolbar and check if that shows the toolbar back.

Second option is to check the EPM(Enhanced Protected Mode) setting on our IE browser. Since you said it works fine with administrator and it has a problem only with standard user - we need to check if EPM setting is affecting the toolbar.Open IE->Tools->Internet Options->Advanced->Scrolldown to bottom to reach Security options->Uncheck "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode" ->Apply->OK

Try launching IE now as standard user and check if toolbar is shown.

Regards,

Prasanna

Kudos0

Prasanna, I already tried the lock and unlock several time and also drag dropping the tool bar before I sought help. Also the Enable Enhance Protection Mode option was already unchecked on the user account. Another thing I tried was setting the user account type in Windows 7 to admin level. It had no affect and I changed it back.

Kudos0

Hi Tadpole,

We tried reproducing your issue in-house but it was not reproducible at our side, so we are not able to provide exact work-around for solving out your issue, sorry about that. Few more you can try- reset internet explorer settings? Or is it possible to create one more dummy standard user account and check if the toolbar is enabled in there?

We need you to try these work-around for nailing down the actual root cause.

Regards,

Prasanna

Kudos0

prasanna_a, I tried the browser reset using the reset in the "Advanced" tab of "Internet Options" yesterday. It didn't change the appearance of the toolbar. I set up a user account as you requested. I launched Internet Explorer 11 and enabled all addons. Then to make sure the addons matched the original user account, I disabled Norton Identity Protection. At that time I didn't realize that I wouldn't see the changes until I launched a new browser window. Later when I realized this I came back and launched IE and, yes, nothing but an "x". Then I checked the status of the identity addon in the admin account and it was off. The difference was that in the admin account I could still see the toolbar componets minus the safe search box(off) and vault (disabled). The on or off state of the safe search box does not affect this. I did not play with the status of the identity addon (see below). So the admin account is operational with a visible toolbar even with identity protection off.

I was able to  get the toolbar back in the original user account and play with it by enabling the "Norton Identity Protection" addon (this didn't seem to work before and I haven't rebooted but I used the opportunity to reproduce the problem in this original user account).  This might have been working all along but, since I didn't realize I needed to relaunch the new browser, I might have failed to do so (so embarrassing). The toolbar reduces to the "x" in this old user account if the toolbar is enabled and identity protection is disabled. This also happens in the new user account. It may happen in the admin accounts if I turn it off and back on again. That is why I didn't try it above. Does the new install of NIS over NS use the existing NIS settings? If so, NIS allowed the toolbar addon to enable and be visible when the identity addon is off and NS does not allow the toolbar addon to be visible when the identity addon is manually disabled. (At least on my computer user accounts. I could set up another admin account and test if I can turn it on and off without affecting the toolbar display but I imagine I will find out that it will end up like the user accounts.)

So, in the play arena you suggested, I fell into the solution to getting the toolbar visible again but cannot set NS up the way I want to - with identity protection off. I don't want to play vault games and do not want to be constantly interupted by popups suggesting I need to set identity protection login etc. up. In NIS I could run with whatever settings I chose. Is there a way to permanently say no to vault options or at least to turn off the nags?

I don't know what to say. I am sure if the operation described is intentional, you have your reasons. Is it intended that one addon cannot be run independently of the other without the enabled one being broken (reduced to "x" only)? Does this only happen on my computer (or Windows 7/ IE 11)? Can you reproduce it now that I have the toolbar back and know I can reproduce it myself by simply disabling identity protection while leaving toolbar enabled?  Why can the admin account enjoy these settings but not the user account? Will the admin account start having the same problem if I turn the identity protection back on then off again (I'm afraid to try it.)

Kudos0

prasanna_a, One more question. I still have a few days left on my subscription to NIS. If I decide I would rather run NIS, can I revert back to it under my existing license? I know you aren't selling new licenses but I have two more computers still running NIS and I don't want to face problems like this with them. I may decide I'd rather uninstall NS and reinstall NIS as well as keep NIS on the other computers.

Kudos0

Hi Tadpole,

You can request a refund of your NS purchase.

Or perhaps go thru CHAT and see if they can work a swap - renew your NIS even though you purchased NS.  Not sure of the cost difference - but CHAT would know.  I believe you have to do the refund through CHAT anyway, so you can ask best route from them.  There are links for CHAT in the refund request.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.