• Todas las Comunidades
    • Todas las Comunidades
    • Foros
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Avanzado

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Identity Safe database lost during Windows 10 upgrade

I just updated my computer to Windows 10 Pro but during the update, Norton was not reinstalled.  I'm not worried about the software as I can just download and reinstall, but my Identity Safe password database is missing and I would like to know how to retrieve it if possible.  It was *not* configured to sync with my online account, so there is no cloud copy (why would you want your entire password database on the internet for someone to hack?)   I know I have the option to rollback to Windows 8.1, but I'd prefer not to do this if possible.

Respuestas

Kudos0

Re: Identity Safe database lost during Windows 10 upgrade

Hi my2¢,

Have a look here - maybe:

Users\<User Name>\My Documents\Norton Identity Safe Backups\<Norton account name>.

Kudos0

*** Pretty rude of Microsoft - if you ask me.

I use Comcast/XFINITY.

I believe I have version 22.5.2.15 (Norton Security Suite)

Auto Fix found no issues

I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro this morning from Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center

- lost Media Center

I had issues getting Norton to run

- Tried re-installing from XFINITY and received an OOPS web page error

- Tried using the Norton site w/o success

UNISTALLED Norton (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features)

I then successfully installed using the XFINITY site

- the UI is much changed

- It asked me to create an ID Vault (I thought it might import the old one?)

- I now have an empty ID Vault

Is the a backup some where I might be ale to retrieve?  ( I do not believe I use the cloud)

I do have File History and there are scheduled Norton Backups.

Any ideas?

Accepted Solution
Kudos3 Stats

Your vault is in Windows.old, which was created when you upgraded.

The exact location is: C:/Windows.old/ProgramData/Norton/%257B0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7%257D/N360_21.1.0.18/IdentitySafeDataStore/< Your Security Id (SID) >

Your Security Id (SID) will be a long number starting with S_. If your the only user of the PC there will only be one subdirectory.

You can use this procedure to restore your vault.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/retaining-your-local-vault

Kudos0

Hi Benjamin Greco Jr.,
IDDStor2.dat is needed for creating a Local Vault by a product that only offers Online Vault eg: post v19
Comcast NSS is only local vault.  JJSchultzII creating Local by NSS is not an issue.  Having an available backup may be an issue. 
I'm presuming JJSchultzII Comcast NSS was not compatible with W10 and was removed during upgrade.  Subsequent NSS install supports W10.  Now, JJSchultzII will create new Local Vault and populate with backup.  

Kudos0

The location I gave is where IDDStor2.dat is located after a windows 10 upgrade, if you had a local vault when you upgraded. If you have a good backup then of course you can restore. If you don't have a backup the procedure works whether you were in the cloud or not.

Kudos0

Benjamin Greco Jr.:

The location I gave is where IDDStor2.dat is located after a windows 10 upgrade, if you had a local vault when you upgraded. If you have a good backup then of course you can restore. If you don't have a backup the procedure works whether you were in the cloud or not.

point taken....can Windows.old files be copied outside .old
presume upgrade was by Windows Update vs ISO
Thank you

Kudos0

Yes I copied everything in the windows.old location into the location in the procedure I listed. (the sids should be the same) C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\NIS_21.1.1.7\IdentitySafeDataStore\S-1-5-21-1596595386-3307766018-3340439378-1000

The NIS version is 22 and of course the sid is different. When I went to configure Identity Safe my vault was just there and it prompted me for a password. I never created a new vault. If you have then replace the files that exist (your empty vault) with the ones from windows.old. You have to turn of Norton Product Tamper Protection in administrative settings.

Yes I upgraded through windows update but I presume an ISO upgrade would still save your old OS.

Kudos0

Hi Benjamin Greco Jr.,
I used the backdoor when it was first published.  Granted, my memory wains.
In a perfect world users would have an off machine backup = csv, dat & IDDStor2
Please hang around and help.
Cheers

Kudos0

Norton doesn't really backup your vault, you have to remember to manually export it. I had a backup but it was over a year old because even though manually backup my documents I never think to export my safe. Norton should do it automatically to a subfolder in my documents every so often. 

Kudos0

Yeah, that's why I wrote in a perfect world

Kudos0

Hi Benjamin Greco Jr.

I do not have a Win 10 system, so I can not try what I am asking.

What about this - open NSS and your Local Vault (even if set up as new without any logins in it.)  Next open the ID Safe Settings and go to the Import/ Export Tab.  Select Import, Select the Merge option, and then Import.  Now navigate to

C:/Windows.old/ProgramData/Norton/%257B0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7%257D/N360_21.1.0.18/IdentitySafeDataStore/< Your Security Id (SID)

Open and then hopefully it will Import.

Is that viable or not - not sure you can "Browse" to the Windows.old file in that matter.  Just a wild thought.

I do believe the way you mentioned will work - just looking for a shorter route, as NSS only has the Local Vault.

Kudos0

I haven't tried it but the software says you can only import an exported .dat or .csv file. The file in Windows.old is the actual file that Identity Safe uses.

You shouldn't have a problem browsing to windows.old. I just don't know if import will import the file.

Kudos2 Stats

FWIW,  I just went to C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\N360_22.5.2.15\IdentitySafeDataStore/SID on my Win 7 system and went thru the Import I suggested above and Imported that data - I can't see the difference.  The one I Imported is in fact the one that NSS v 22.5.2.15 uses??  It was in fact password protected.

Kudos0

Brilliant!  Thanks, this solved my problem!

Kudos1 Stats

Thank you..!!!!! OMG I was in a panic.  I had just redone the notebook so that didn't have the data and my desktop upgraded and all my logins were GONE!!  This is a great thread.  It should be linked to the page about having just upgraded to Windows 10 and get your Norton back.

Just want to add that Windows by default hides the Program Data folder so you need to on the view ribbon in file explorer turn on hidden. Then the file dialog for importing will also see the Program data folder.

Kudos0

Thanx for the info...It Worked.Imported no problem (from a norton 360 file)

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.