• Todas las Comunidades
    • Todas las Comunidades
    • Foros
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Avanzado

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Accessibility for Norton Family has been turned off.

Hi,

can you please let me know what this means and what causes it?

1/12/16 6:19 AM : Accessibility for Norton Family has been turned off. [nic SM-G530T]

thanks!

Respuestas

Kudos0

Re: Accessibility for Norton Family has been turned off.

Hi chec,

Can you please let us know if the child uses Windows PC device, Android phone device or both?

Can you please send me your Norton Family account email address by private message via the forum by clicking Inbox at upper right hand corner?

Thanks

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

Just want to let you know it all working properly right now but want to know what it means and what causes that alert. An adroid phone is what is being used. Samsung grand prime phone. I'd also like to know why I didn't receive an email for this alert but I do for all others. I only noticed it by signing in on my laptop and saw it in the alerts. The alert does not show on my Norton family app on my iPhone only when I log on through the laptop. Do you know why I can't see it on my iPhone app. All other alerts show there as well. I will email my info now.
Kudos0

Thanks for the update.

Thanks

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

Hi chec,

Norton Family Uses accessibility service to monitor Child’s web activities in Chrome Browser. To enable it, please navigate to Settings -> Accessibility -> Norton Family Accessibility Service.

Also, please let us know 

1. What version of Android is running on the device?  To determine what version is running on your device, select Apps > Settings > About phone or About tablet.

2. What version of Norton Family is on the phone?  To find the version number, please go to your Android device, click Menu -> Settings -> Applications -> Manage applications -> Norton Family. 

Thanks

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

Hi,

when you say,

"Norton Family Uses accessibility service to monitor Child’s web activities in Chrome Browser. To enable it, please navigate to Settings -> Accessibility -> Norton Family Accessibility Service",

are you asking me to go in the settings of the actual phone or the settings in Chrome to make these changes?

I will also send the info you requested once my son gets home from school today and I can look at his phone.

If you could please let me know the following, Id appreciate it:

1. Why wouldn't I receive an email for that specific alert but I do for all other alerts (ex. restricted websites alerts)?

2. Why can I not see that specific alert under the "alerts tab" on my iPhone Norton app but I can see all other alerts (ex.restricted websites alerts)? The only place I can see that alert is if I sign in to Norton on my laptop. I then see it in the alerts tab.

Thanks so much!

Kudos0

Hi Android version is 5.1.1 Norton version 3.4.4.19 I have also turned to accessibility as you have asked.
Kudos0

Hi chec,

For Q #1 & #2,

NF team is working on the alert mail and iOS parent app.  For now,   you can only see it in NF Web Portal.

You asked "are you asking me to go in the settings of the actual phone or the settings in Chrome to make these changes?

Go to the actual phone (Android device) ->Settings -> Accessibility -> Norton Family Accessibility Service

After you turn on the Accessibility service, are you still getting the alert?

Thanks

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

Thanks for the update! I did turn on the accessibility today. All of this happened on Jan 12th and there was no web activity for that date, but it did start showing again yesterday, the 13th. When I went to where you asked me to change the assessability, it was still off, but all web activity is showing although I did switch it to on and have checked since and it is still showing web activity since I changed it to on. Not sure why it was still showing web activity with the accessibility set to "no". Do you know what would happen to cause the alert to be triggered in the first place? Looking forward to hearing back from you regarding the updates for the email notification for the alert and also the alert showing in the iPhone app. Thanks Katie

Kudos0

Hi,

Now since I have changed the accessibility to "on", which was about 1pm yesterday 1.14.16, I am no longer seeing any web activity. It all ceased about an after switching it to "on". I have been playing on the phone to see if any activity would come up and nothing has.Thinking I should switch it back to "off" since when It was "off", I was getting web activity, just not for one day 1.12.16 when I got the alert that "accessibility for Norton has been turned off". All web activity resumed the next day after receiving the alert and with the accessibility still switched to "off". This is very confusing!?

Kudos0

Thanks for the post.  I've reported the issue to the team and they are working on this.

Thanks

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

Hi chec,

Once the child turns OFF the accessibility service, NF will send a tamper alert to the parent and the web supervision will stop working. This will happen once the user turns ON the accessibility service for the first time.

Are you able to see the web activity now?

Thanks

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

No, I am still not able to see it unless I do the following every single day and actually get my sons phone in my hand.

(here is the message I sent to you in the private message)

Here is the info you requested. The device is a Samsung Galaxy grand prime phone. Device name is Nic SM-G530T. I have found that the only possible way to get web activity to show is to take that actual phone, Turn it off and back on, then actually log into it in parent mode and then everything will show up. It will then actually update the web portal and I can then also see the web activity on other devices. I just did it for today about 20 min ago and it updated everything missing for the entire day. Something between NF and the phone seems to disconnect every night because this happens every single day. There is no web activity until I get my hands on my sons phone to manually do all of these steps each and every day.

Please help!

Kudos0

Hi chec,

Please keep the Accessibility service On, so the Web activity can be monitored.

I'll report the Web log issue to the team for further investigation.

Thanks

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

I just wanted to add that I have found for sure that the only way to get all web activity to populate anywhere, is to turn the actual phone that NF is installed on, off and then back on. Do you think this would be a Norton issue or some type of phone settings issue? Please disregard my previous statements where I mentioned I had to actually log into NF in parent mode on the actual phone after turning it on and off. I have found that I didn't need to do that step. I only need to restart the phone to get web activity.
Kudos0

chec,

Please check the below settings on the Android device to see if these help.

1. Settings -> Data Usage -> Norton Family. Check if the “Restrict background data” is selected, if so unselect this option.
  2. Settings -> Battery -> Detail -> Norton Family, set the Norton family app is “Turned Off ” for Automatically optimizing mode.

Thanks

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

Unfortunately, that wasn't a fix for me as they were both already off. I didn't have the option to do #2 because the "detail" box was grayed out. I hope you guys can think of something else.
Kudos0

Hi chec,

Can you please let us know if the child uses WiFi or mobile data during the night?

Thanks

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

He uses wifi. This morning I restarted the phone to see if it would work all day and it did not. I took the battery out of the phone and put it back in at about 4pm and found that the web activity updated, so apparently it stopped working through the day. So obviously it's not just happening overnight. Seems like when the phone isn't being used for a while, it just stops logging info.
Kudos0

Just wanted to add I kept the phone the entire day myself just to rule out any tampering, and it still happened.
Kudos0

Thanks for the update.  We are checking into this.

Thanks

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

Another thing I need to add:

If I go into google search history, I am also noticing there that no web data is being updated unless I restart the phone (just like for NF). How could no web activity be updated in both google web history and NF? Do you think there is a correlation between this? Before I restart the phone, no web activity in either app, after I restart phone, web activity populates for both google search history and NF. Seems like they are somehow going hand in hand and thought this might be some helpful info for you to maybe check into. Also, do you know if this could be caused by some type of auto sync not being checked? I would have no idea where to even check for that. I have played with the phone all night trying to find anything about an auto sync for google or anything and cannot find where it would be. Hoping this info is helpful!

Kudos0

Thanks for the information.  I'll bring this to the engineering team.

Thanks

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

I got the same alert on 1/20/16.  I did not see the alert until today but have received emails with requests to allow websites and have full web history.  

This is on her Andriod tablet.

Kudos0

Hi Liz,

Thanks for the post.  Have you tried the steps I posted in the thread for user "chec"?  Do they work for you?

Thanks

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

Katie, Are they still looking into my issue since the steps you gave me didn't apply in my situation?
Kudos0

Yes.  The engineering team is checking into the issue.

Thanks

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

Katie I'd like to try to uninstall & reinstall to see if it possibly helps. When I try to uninstall on the actual phone it does not give me an option to uninstall. It is grayed out. Could you please tell me how I need to uninstall it from the phone and reinstall? Thank you so very much!!
Kudos0

chec,

Were you trying the steps described in the link below?

https://family.norton.com/familysafety/help.fs?action=uninstallingNSM

Thanks

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

Uninstalled and reinstalling now. I'll let you know what happens.
Kudos0

As it's installing I keep getting a connection timeout error saying Norton family isn't responding. This is when it gets to the point of installing house rules.
Kudos0

chec,

Have you been able to reinstall Norton Family by now?  If you are still getting the error, can you please post a screen-shot of the error?

Instructions to post screenshots can be found here

https://community.norton.com/forums/how-post-image-forums-0

Thanks

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

I did reinstall and I am still getting the same problem. Web activity will not update unless I restart the phone. I got this the first time I installed the phone as well. It says that it cannot connect to the Norton servers and there was a connection timeout error while it was updating House rules. I can see Norton is installed on the phone and webpages are blocked. Since I got the error of not being able to connect to the server when installing, maybe there is a disconnect somewhere. Not sure why I constantly need to restart the phone to get the app to work and update web activity. Are you aware of anyone else having this type of problem?
Kudos0

Can you please post a screen-shot of the error?

Thanks

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

The error comes and goes too quickly for me to get another phone to take a pic of it. Like I said, after installing and it gets to the point of where it says installing house rules, it just keeps running and then the error comes up with a connection time out and says it cannot connect to Norton servers.
Kudos0

hmmm...thanks for the update.  I was hoping I could show the error to the engineering team to see if the error has something to do with the issue.  Do you happen to remember the exact error message?

Thanks

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

Here are the screen shot errors after trying to reinstall again. When I uninstall Norton on the phone is it OK to just to delete that certain device from the account or do I need to delete all devices and restart completely over?
Kudos0

IMG_1943.JPG IMG_1942.JPG
Kudos0

I can't figure out how to post the pictures. I only have a phone available to do this, so if it is not able to be done on the phone then I cannot post the errors.
Kudos0

There are two errors. This is exactly what each say. Again, these errors come up when trying to download house rules. The last step of the installation. 1. Norton family isn't responding. Do you want to close it? 2. Connection timeout - unable to connect to Norton family servers at this time. Please try again later.
Kudos0

I'll report this to the engineering team.  Thanks!

Thanks

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

When I uninstall Norton on the phone is it OK to just to delete that certain device from the account or do I need to delete all devices and restart completely over?
Kudos0

chec,

If the issue only happens on this particular android device and you want to uninstall/reinstall NF to see if it helps,  you just need to uninstall NF from this android device by following the instruction described in the link below.  You don't need to log onto your NF online account to remove the device because after you follow the steps to uninstall NF, the device should be removed from your online account automatically.

https://family.norton.com/familysafety/help.fs?action=uninstallingNSM

Thanks

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

Thanks! That's what I needed to know and did do.
Kudos0

I need to note something very strange going on. So, To reiterate what has been going on in my situation, I have been having issues since I got an alert about accessibility for Norton family being turned off. 1. I do not get these type of alerts on my Apple iPhone. I only saw this alert when logging into the web portal on my laptop. 2. All web activity has ceased unless I restart my sons phone each and every day. Now, when I was having no problems before I got this alert about accessibility being turned off, I checked, and yes the accessibility button was set to off, but I was still receiving web activity. You then asked me to turn the accessibility on. Which I did, and that is when all web activity stop being logged and the need for me to restart the phone every day to get the info. Last night I decided to switch the accessibility back to off, and lo and behold I am getting all web activity again without having to restart the phone. It seems to be working properly now all day long with it in the off position. How could this be?? Maybe somehow you guys have the setting backwards. Has anyone else contacted you with this same issue? Is there a way you can check into the specific setting?
Kudos0

chec,

Very interesting.  Engineering team confirmed once the child turn’s OFF the Accessibility service, the web supervision will stop working.  I'll check with engineering team check on this.

Thanks

Katie

Thanks Katie

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.