• Todas las Comunidades
    • Todas las Comunidades
    • Foros
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Avanzado

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Uninstall and reinstall Norton Security

I did an uninstall of NS instead of the Uninstall and reinstall (should have waited for caffeine to kick in). Did a clean install of NS and performed all Live Updates and did a quick scan. Restarted a couple of times but the NS icon is corrupted on my desktop. Not a big problem but annoying nevertheless. I tried to change the icon but get a msg: Windows can't find the file %ProgramFiles%\Norton Security\Engine\22.6.0.142\Settings.dll

Should I perform the uninstall and reinstall again - properly this time - or is there something else that can be done.

Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1

Respuestas

Kudos0

Re: Uninstall and reinstall Norton Security

Why not create new desktop shortcut Icon.
Is system tray Icon okay. 

Kudos0

System tray icon lower right is ok. I did create a new shortcut but it opens the NS folder that contains the files and not the splash screen. If I try to add a desktop icon using the NS file from here, it gives me the same corrupt icon.

I have to add that I just did a restart and the icon appeared temporarily then reverted back to the blank corrupted default icon.

Kudos0

If it were me... I would uninstall, use the removal tool, and reinstall. If any part of your security suite is corrupt, even if it just appears to be an icon at this point, do you trust it? I would not.

Kudos0

janetg:  System tray icon lower right is ok. I did create a new shortcut but it opens the NS folder that contains the files and not the splash screen. [..]

try from Start Menu or All Programs.  My Start Menu Icon was broken.  I created from All Programs > Norton Security with Backup > Norton Security > Send to....

Kudos0

Did a fresh uninstall and reinstall. Went smoothly but icon still not updated. Tried searching for icon in images and found it but the icon is blurred out, not as clear as original. Program works so will leave it unless I figure a better solution.

Kudos0

Hi, janetg. As bjm_ suggests, go to the Start Menu/Programs and find your Norton product.

Right click on that, and select Send to Desktop. That should give you the correct icon.

Windows 10 Home X 64 Norton Security Premium Current
Kudos0

I did that and it did not work. Still get the generic windows icon and not the NS yellow icon.

I changed the icon by right clicking and selecting properties, then clicking on Change Icon. File where icon resides is: Computer, OS (C:), Program Files (x86), Norton Security, Engine, 22.6.0,142, IMAGES, misc. I clicked on the Norton icon and it changed. However it does not appear as clear as the original but it works for now anyway.

I appreciate the help from everyone.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.