• Todas las Comunidades
    • Todas las Comunidades
    • Foros
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Avanzado

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NortonMissedTask eating up 91% of CPU

Hi, I am having a problem with NortonMissedTask eating up almost all of the CPU cycles, even though no tasks appear to be missed.  This happens even if I disable the scheduled tasks in Norton Auto-Protect options.  I can kill the NortonMissedTask and the computer returns to normal for awhile.

I am running Norton for Mac 11 with all updates.  My Mac is up to date as well.

I would be glad to post any further information that might be useful. some log files or anything else that might help.  I can't find anything else about this error online.

Thanks for any ideas.

Respuestas

Kudos0

Re: NortonMissedTask eating up 91% of CPU

Hi, I am having a problem with NortonMissedTask eating up almost all of the CPU cycles, even though no tasks appear to be missed.  This happens even if I disable the scheduled tasks in Norton Auto-Protect options.  I can kill the NortonMissedTask and the computer returns to normal for awhile.

I am running Norton for Mac 11 with all updates.  My Mac is up to date as well.

I would be glad to post any further information that might be useful. some log files or anything else that might help.  I can't find anything else about this error online.

Thanks for any ideas.

Kudos0

Hi ddrumer68,

please respond with version info on the follow apps....

Norton Antivirus

Scheduler

LiveUpdate

(in case you don't already know) Select each and use the File menu's Get Info command for detailed version info (e.g. LiveUpdate 4.44f124). 

Also, tell us if you're Mac is a PPC or Intel, and what Mac OS X version you are using (Apple menu's About This Mac option).

Thanks!

Kudos0

evadperez,

Thanks for the reply. Here is the information you requested.

Norton Antivirus 11.0.2 f35
Symantec Scheduler 5.0.2 f26
LiveUpdate 5.1.0 f36

OSX version 10.5.7
Intel Core Duo 2
Mode IMAC7,1
Kudos0

Is there anyone that can help with this vexing issue? I've provided the info evadperez requested, but haven't heard anything since. Please?
Kudos0

Hi ddrummer68,

my sincere apologies. I've no valid excuses.

I'd like to start with the simplest/quickest possible fix. Please try the following....

1. Run Symantec Uninstaller, located at /Applications /Symantec Solutions /

2. Select all products at the Uninstall Symantec Products list and complete uninstall process.

3. Re-install NAV 11 running LiveUpdate when prompted during install.

4. Restart system.

5. Attempt to replicate and/or watch for issue with CPU consumption.

Let me know how that works out. I'm waiting to hear back from you.

And again, very sorry for loosing track of your issue.

evadperez

Kudos0

Evadperez,

Thanks for replying. No worries; we've all forgotten things.

I followed your directions:

Uninstalled.
Restarted machine. Upon reboot there was no activity for nortonmissedtask.

Downloaded and installed version 11, ran LiveUpdate during the install.
Restarted machine. The same Nortonmissedtask behavior came right back.

Please let me know if I can provide further information that might help you, help me.

Kudos0

ddrummer68,

any other Symantec products currently installed on your system? Have there been any in the past?

evadperez

Kudos0

evadperez,

I believe that this Mac has only had Norton version 11, and has no other Symantec/Norton products installed. I am willing to run an audit tool, or removal utility, if such exists, and you think it might help diagnose/solve the problem.

ddrummer68
Kudos0

I've temporarily removed Norton 11, which has eliminated the issue. Unfortunately, it has left my Mac unprotected while we sort this out. Please let me know what other information I can provide that might help resolve the issue, while still allowing me to keep Norton installed and functioning.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Kudos0

We can give you a script that will remove all product traces from your machine, including any traces of old products in case you had them. This might fix the issue. Send me a private message with your email address and I'll get you this script if you are interested in trying one more time.

Ryan 

Ryan McGann Technical Director Norton Business Unit, Symantec
Kudos0

We think we might have isolated the cause of this problem. If you could run the following command in your Terminal application (Applications -> Utilities), this will tell us whether you have the same problem:

du -h /var/log/asl.db

Send us what is printed in the Terminal window after running this command. 

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan McGann Technical Director Norton Business Unit, Symantec

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.