• Todas las Comunidades
    • Todas las Comunidades
    • Foros
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Avanzado

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton Security after system restore

In mid June In Installed the latest version of Norton Security Deluxe (have used Norton for decades) on my WIN7 Home Ed laptop. Everything worked OK until I installed 2 Windows updates in early July. Then system restore points wouldn't save, all restore points from the Norton Install and before were gone, machine started running extremely slow. I tried all the recommended fixes etc. Nothing worked. On system restore it lists a restore point from mid May on an external drive I apparently used then.

My question is, if that restore point actually exists and works, how will that affect my recent Norton installation that came after that date?  Is it going to interpret it as a new additional install on another computer or are there steps to take to get this valid install back on this computer?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ron

Respuestas

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Norton Security after system restore

Norton does not behave well with System Restore. What happens is the Norton files in the system restore do not match the files the current Norton installation is looking for, and you often end up having to reinstall your Norton product. 

If you can wait just a little bit longer, Norton is in the process of rolling out a new version.  22.10.x.x. See the product announcement here.   https://community.norton.com/en/blogs/product-update-announcements/norto...

From that announcement...

4. What are the changes in this release?

Below are the changes and fixes in Norton Security, Norton Security with Back Up, Norton Internet Security, Norton 360, Norton Antivirus and Norton Security Suite 22.10.0:

Windows System Restore Support:  Performing a Windows System Restore has been known to sometimes cause problems such as the product not starting.  With this release if a customer takes a new Windows snapshot with version 22.10+ of Norton Security installed then if the customer performs a system restore to that snapshot it will no longer cause any problems with the Norton product.

So if you can wait until you are able to get this new version, it may save you a lot of grief.

EDIT

I just re read that announcement and see that this will only help with future System Restores.

So the original information I gave about having problems may still stand in your case. 

What you should do before running the System Restore, is turn off the Norton Product Tamper Protection in Norton Settings - Administrative Settings. That may help stop the problems with the restore. Be sure you turn NPTP back on after the restore, and run LiveUpdate manually a few times, restarting as necessary, until no updates are available.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Re: Norton Security after system restore

I tried turning off Norton Product Tamper Protection but didn't seem to help me. I did a Norton Removal and Reinstall Tool but I started with Norton Security ver 22.9.4.8 and the reinstall put ver. 22.9.4.8 back in. Since I thought the latest Windows Updates might be involved I did a lot of tweaking with them. Last night I thought I had got  somewhere and System Restore was working. Later last night I started the weekly Norton Full System Scan because it didn't work Wednesday when it was scheduled. Then today I noticed System Restore wasn't working again. So is there a known problem with Norton Security ver. 22.9.4.8 that stops Windows 7 System Restore from working and does Norton ver 2.10 fix the problem?

Attached is a pdf of a screen shot of my Restore points list. The 2 top restore points disappeared after running the Norton Full scan.

The other 3 items on the list refer to restore points supposedly on an external drive I have.  2 questions I have. Can I get a restore point off an image file? If so, what steps do I have to do to get Norton Security back on this laptop without using another license copy since this Norton was installed after the May 2017 image restore point?

It was very confusing since I installed the new copy of Norton just before I installed the Windows Updates and I am not sure if it was just the Norton or a combination of Norton and one of the Windows Updates that screwed the system up.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.