• Todas las Comunidades
    • Todas las Comunidades
    • Foros
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Avanzado

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Krack risk

I have Win XP SP3 which Norton still cover.  I am unsure about the situation with the new Krack security risk.  I am up to date with my Live Update facility and would like to know if Norton has provided its paying customers with the appropriate defence as yet.  Does anybody know the current situation, please?  

Labels: Auto-Protect

Respuestas

Kudos0

Re: Krack risk

KRACK is a problem with the WPA-2 protocol. It is not something that an antivirus program can address. It remains to be seen if Microsoft will issue a patch for XP.
Kudos0

All: Windows XP was NOT patched during the last patch Tuesday. Although MS could decide to patch XP as well as SendOfJive posted: https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-details-its-fixes-for-krack-wpa2-vulnerability

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1809 / build 17763.529 / N360 Deluxe 22.17.1.50 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 1.98
Kudos0

Thank you both for that information.  I have one XP computer and a Win 7 computer. I am led to believe that the Win 7 computer is protected by a recent Windows update on 10th October 2017 but not the XP as yet for which I shall have to wait and see.  However I wonder if my XP has a  measure of protection as it is connected by an Ethernet cable to my router and always has been.  However my Win 7 is connected and used by wifi.   I have a Plusnet router and always use Firefox never my IE 8 (the latest XP will take) which is installed but obsolete. I shall be grateful for any further  views there may be.

Kudos0

imbart You can check the manufacturer/provider website for a downloadable update for your router here: https://www.plus.net/help/ 

Windows XP should not be affected if connected through Ethernet as the WPA KRACK vulnerability only affects wireless connections.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1809 / build 17763.529 / N360 Deluxe 22.17.1.50 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 1.98
Kudos1 Stats

Hello

A spoofing vulnerability exists in the Windows implementation of wireless networking. An attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability could potentially replay broadcast and/or multicast traffic to hosts on a WPA or WPA 2-protected wireless network.

Multiple conditions would need to be met in order for an attacker to exploit the vulnerability – the attacker would need to be within the physical proximity of the targeted user, and the user's computer would need to have wireless networking enabled. The attacker would then need to execute a man-in-the-middle (MitM) attack to intercept traffic between the target computer and wireless access point.

The security update addresses the vulnerability by changing how Windows verifies wireless group key handshakes

Quoted from

https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-US/security-guidance/advisory/CVE-2017-13080

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.1.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Thank you everybody.  I seem to be in the clear with my XP ethernet connection which is very reassuring.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.