• Todas las Comunidades
    • Todas las Comunidades
    • Foros
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Avanzado

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

QoS setting

Hello everyone,

I see we have the option in the iOS app to set a device under the "devices" tab to QoS so that if your "gaming" or running a "voip" line it provides better services throughput.  The question is, if you set a device to have QoS does the CORE still protect the connection against malicious attacks, or does it reduce the protection level CORE can provide to that particular device?

Respuestas

Kudos1 Stats

Re: QoS setting

All your devices will still receive the same protection levels. The QoS setting for a device just gives it priority if many devices are trying to connect at the same time. So, ideally, your VOIP or Gaming device should not see stuttering from network congestion. The non QoS devices might see some slightly slower response while the priority devices are served first.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Thanks Peterweb.

The IOS app has under the "network" settings an option for "Priority Device" and seperatly under "devices" it has the separate "QoS" option setting.  Based on your reply, this would imply that "priority device" and "QoS" settings/options are virtually the same?  

Specifics:  Priority device and QoS are listed under two different areas as two separate options to choose from in the iOS app. 

Reading the info ticker under "network" and then "priority device" it states: "Select a device on your network that should temporarily receive additional bandwidth.  Norton Core assures fastest connection for this device.  For example, you can select the device that you use to stream videos, download large files, or play online video games."  

The info ticker under "devices", (select the specific device in question), and then under "QoS" states: Norton Core is designed to provide the best performance while keeping your network secure.  In some instances, certain types of traffic need to be processed differently to deliver better Quality of Service (QoS).  This i typically used for gaming, VOIP and video conferencing applications.  Enabeling this mode for your device will optimize this traffic to reduce latency or jitter".

So the next question is are those options the same?  

Kudos0

I'll have to defer to others here, as I do not yet have access to a Core device. My information above was a little generic. I was unaware of two different/same settings in the IOS app.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Dave628. The QOS/VOIP settings in the app under "DEVICES" are selectable per individual device. I set those for my gaming devices and just leave them set that way. Selecting a priority device in your NETWORK settings you can select say an specific Roku device and make it priority for streaming bandwidth, for 1/2/6/24 hours. You can select 24 hours and save multiple times to increase the time for that device. Later on change to another device and remove others, etc. They are separate however perform similar functions. Hope that explains it a bit better for you.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows Server 2016 Essentials / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1909 / build 18363.476 / N360 Deluxe 22.19.8.65 / Norton Core v.288 on Android 2.21 / Opera GX
Kudos0

Hello Dave. I'm following up to see if we can assist further.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows Server 2016 Essentials / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1909 / build 18363.476 / N360 Deluxe 22.19.8.65 / Norton Core v.288 on Android 2.21 / Opera GX
Kudos0

No more questions at this point, you answered my question.  Thanks for your help.

Kudos0

Awesome. Happy holidays!!

Cheers

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.