• Todas las Comunidades
    • Todas las Comunidades
    • Foros
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Avanzado

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos2 Stats

Why do I have to login into my vault everytime I open my browser?

Ugh! I used to not have to login very often and I liked that! I have a pin to open up my computer and I am the only one to use this computer. 

The only person who is being prevented from getting into my vault is ME!! 

This should be a setting I can change. I will gladly take responsibility if I have a security issue because I set the perimeters too loose.

Working with Windows 10 and chrome btw.

Respuestas

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Why do I have to login into my vault everytime I open my browser?

Hello

If you are using Chrome browser, the extension will close the vault every time you close the browser. This occurs for security reasons. For the time being, this is how it works. I do not know if this will be changed in future versions of the extension. Symantec has received a lot of complaints about this. You might be the only one using your computer, but you might have company who might want to borrow your computer.

Have a Nice Day and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NS with BackUp 22.14.2.13 Core Firmware 237 I E 11
Kudos0

Well that's just disappointing.

Kudos3 Stats

they should have a check box to keep me logged in feature. Im the only one that uses my PC at home. I still have the vault in my toolbar so Im not seeing it like I was on that ID safe chrome addon

Kudos1 Stats

Having the same issue on my new Windows 10 x64 Home.  Also, don't have a selection for a local vault.  Only goes to the cloud vault, which I don't want.  Also, just realized when I want to open the vault, the first thing that I have to do is to sign in to my Norton account, then sign in to the vault.  Two sign in's to get to the vault is a bit much.  Wondered why when trying to open the vault and using my vault password, that the login failed.  Just figured that out.  Another bug that is a pain, is if you enter the wrong password 2 or 3 times (don't remember the exact number), the computer shuts down and restarts.  Just also read on the net that Norton evidently has discontinued the local vault function in their software and default to cloud.  That has got to be changed.

Kudos3 Stats

I too have the same problem. I used to be able to keep my computer on for hours, and would only need to log into my vault once, but now I'm asked for my vault login almost every time I want to use it, and every time I use a different browser. It's a complete pain, and a very backward step. And please, Norton, don't tell me it's for my own good - I'm well able to manage my own security choices.

Please, Norton, come up with an option to keep identity safe open until I shut down my computer, or I choose to close the vault.

Kudos0

Hello

Norton is aware of the  customers dissatisfaction of having the vault close and having to log in every time.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NS with BackUp 22.14.2.13 Core Firmware 237 I E 11
Kudos0

Listen Floplot I do not know who you are and I really don't care. We have every right to complain about this issue. Please stop coming in here and shutting people down. 

Kudos0

Hello

I'm not  trying to shut anyone down. I was just trying to let people know that there are other users who are complaining about the same thing. I didn't want you to think that you are the only one or that those who have posted in this thread are the only ones. Of course customers can complain about something they don't like.

I'm just another customer who is trying to help other customers. Sorry, if you thought I was doing something else..

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Kudos1 Stats

I for one have no confidence in Norton anymore. I am seeing a definite trend amongst my clients who have lost confidence in Norton. 

Like so many other BUSINESS's they are pushing the CLOUD VAULT and taking away the right to own your own data. CLOUD services are a huge $$ boom for companies in so many ways but continues to be touted as a big benefit to the consumer. BS!

So again I say to Norton, Microsoft, GOOGLE etc etc...keep your CLOUD and HANDS OFF my computer!!!

I as a consumer WANT and EXPECT to choose how I use my computer, what I care to share online, choose how secure my computer is and I don't want to be a donkey following the dangling CLOUD carrot. Especially when it come to my O.S. and Security.

Bring back LOCAL vault as a consumer CHOICE!!!!!!

Quick....get everything personal off your computer. Windows 10 StormCloud. The O.S. *which may as well be a Virus* Norton is just another example of the Cloud Phenomenon so don't expect it to help. Norton Local Vault has been phased out, Norton Cloud Vault (Norton Cloud Server) phased in. No alternative. What the CLOUD Phenomenon really means: More information about you going OUT than information coming in. You can't even trust Norton anymore thanks to them pushing your PRIVATE information to CLOUD and taking away LOCAL vault choice.
Kudos0

Was not a useful comment FlopPlt so it would have been better had you not taken the time to type it.

Quick....get everything personal off your computer. Windows 10 StormCloud. The O.S. *which may as well be a Virus* Norton is just another example of the Cloud Phenomenon so don't expect it to help. Norton Local Vault has been phased out, Norton Cloud Vault (Norton Cloud Server) phased in. No alternative. What the CLOUD Phenomenon really means: More information about you going OUT than information coming in. You can't even trust Norton anymore thanks to them pushing your PRIVATE information to CLOUD and taking away LOCAL vault choice.
Kudos1 Stats

Thanks everyone - I appreciate your inputs.  Our extension design for the time being does indeed require entering your vault password if you have fully shut down your browser and re-launch - this need comes from the browser environment not giving us a truly secure persistent storage area for the password credential you gave when first signing in.  We know this aspect of signing in is painful if you need to fully close your browser down and are looking at options for lower-friction sign-in designs that still maintain access security.

Thanks,

Matt Powers
Symantec Corp.

Kudos0

Hi Matt

It's good to know that Norton recognize there's an issue and are working to solve it.

I'm not 100% convinced that the problem is only after shutting down your browser - I have a recollection that the problem may occur after the browser has been open a while and the vault not used for a while.

Another aspect is that I have recently started to use 4 different browsers (chrome, IE, Edge and Firefox) since I find an increasing number of sites/scripts are freezing different browsers. That means that I have to sign in to the vault every time I switch browser.

If your'e looking for a solution, maybe develop one that can be activated and used across multiple browsers, until such time as the user actively turns it off, or turns off the machine.

Now that woud be something...

Best regards

Kudos0

thanks for your inputs @joecav - you are correct that after a period of inactivity (approx. 24h of no vault reads/writes) you may have your vault closed and have to re-enter the vault password.  I feel that if we come up with a simple, secure authentication alternate to vault pw re-entry, it won't matter about the current frequency of prompts - if you use fingerprint authentication on your phone or some other authenticator app, it becomes very fluid to answer security challenges that use those mechanisms.

Matt

Kudos0

Well Matt I hope that Norton is working on a solution sooner rather than later. This is a major annoyance.

The thing is I have always been very happy with Norton. It has worked beautifully in the past. I used to use McAfee and I hated that mess with a passion I have never had toward an program. 

I am so frustrated that I am not allowed to change my security settings for this myself. 

Anyways thanks for listening.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.