• Todas las Comunidades
    • Todas las Comunidades
    • Foros
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Avanzado

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Noron Wifi Security

I've just bought and installed Norton Wifi and installed on computers/lapstops and phones.

I have noticed that the performance of the wifi connection with Wifi Security is way down. The speed of the fibre connection is close to 60Mb/s however with Wifi Security turned on, it's about 8 Mb/s.

The phones also use up battery at a much higher rate than prior to installing it. 

Is there anything I can do to increase internet speed - other than turning Wifi Security off?

Respuestas

Kudos0

Re: Noron Wifi Security

By their nature, VPNs are going to reduce your internet speeds due to the overhead of encrypting and decrypting your data as it leaves and returns to your computer. This reduction you are seeing is more than you should be seeing. 

Try choosing a different country for your virtual location to see if that helps.

If that does not help, try uninstalling NWP, restart your computer, then reinstall again and test.

As for the battery usage in the mobile devices. Again this is probably attributed to the extra processing power required to encrypt your data in and out of your device.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Thanks for the reply.

Actually I reread my post, it's the speed of the internet connection but even via a wired ethernet (through powerline but still getting 60Mb/s without NWP) it's really slow. I've left it on the default location or set it specifically to my own country and it makes no difference, very slow.

The box is a little old about 5-6 years, but still an i7 Dell AllInOne with 8gb memory which is plenty quick. It doesn't seem to be having any issues with resources with the VPN on. My powerline failed and so was accidentally using wifi instead of ethernet (with NWP on) a couple of days ago and my Macrium backup was ridiculously slow - like more than 6 hours when normally it was a sub 30 minute job.

I'm thinking that NWP is overkill for a home computer which has Norton Security/Firewall etc and should only really be used for when you're using mobile devices outside of your home and connecting to hotspots etc.

In that case I may deinstall them for my home computers and laptops.

Is that reasonable?

Kudos0

I'm thinking that NWP is overkill for a home computer which has Norton Security/Firewall etc and should only really be used for when you're using mobile devices outside of your home and connecting to hotspots etc.

In that case I may deinstall them for my home computers and laptops.

Is that reasonable?

That sounds like a plan. As you say, the protection that NWP provides is more important for connecting to public hotspots.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.