• Todas las Comunidades
    • Todas las Comunidades
    • Foros
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Avanzado

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Quick scan taking longer

I always do several quick scans a week and they take on average between 5 to 8 minutes and scanning just over 11,000 files.

Now the last two quick scans now take between 29 to 36 minutes to scan just over 11,000 files 

Why is it taking longer to quick scan?

Labels: Virus Scan

Respuestas

Kudos0

Re: Quick scan taking longer

Hi @sparks118,

Thanks for reporting in Norton Community Forums. I have sent you a private message requesting logs and more details for further investigation. 

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos2 Stats

"

Hi @sparks118,

Thanks for reporting in Norton Community Forums. I have sent you a private message requesting logs and more details for further investigation."

Sunil_GA,

There is no need to request logs and gain time, it's very simple, someone @ Symantec team has decided recently, on purpose or by error, to make Quick Scan scanning a huge database of Adware, Spyware, PUA, and other malware items for about 35 minutes, each time a new SDS Definitions set is released.

In my case it was easy  to reproduce, I have not ran LiveUpdate for 4-5 days, auto or manually, until the Norton icon was red in systray, then opened Norton and clicked on "Fix Now" under the main GUI stating "Your Protection is at Risk", then you can see Norton LiveUpdate running and download items and AFTER THIS it will automatically start a Quick Scan which makes Norton scanning  about at least 100 malware items, increasing dramatically the scan time.

I saw this on 2 W7 x64 machines running latest NS 22.18.0.222

Please fix immediately because it's irritating....

Kudos0

I have noticed this too. I did a Full scan today and it took over 5 hours. My quick scan is taking about 40 to 45 minutes. This is ridiculous.

Kudos1 Stats

5 hours for a full scan, that's bad. Quick scan taking even longer. When is this problem going to be resolved?

Kudos1 Stats

Have you run LiveUpdate? There is a new version that notes one of the changes is for Full system scan times. 

https://community.norton.com/en/blogs/product-update-announcements/norton-security-2219865-windows-now-available

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

I have run Live Update and have the newest version. I ran a Full Scan and it came in under 3 hours. The Quick Scan is still clocking in at around 40-50 minutes.

Kudos1 Stats

Apostolos:

...I saw this on 2 W7 x64 machines running latest NS 22.18.0.222...

PhilipS1:
I have run Live Update and have the newest version. I ran a Full Scan and it came in under 3 hours. The Quick Scan is still clocking in at around 40-50 minutes.

The label for PhilipS1's original post in today's Long Scan Times implies that they also have a Win 7 SP1 operating system.  Do any affected users have a different OS, or is this problem unique to Win 7 SP1?

I'm just wondering if the Norton v22.18.0.222 update released on 30-Aug-2019 for Win 7 SP1 (but not Win 8.x or Win 10) per the release notes <here> introduced a bug that still hasn't been fixed (at least for Quick Scans) in the latest v22.19.8.65 update.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.2.22

Kudos0

Updated 2 Win 7 x64 machines to the latest NS version, quick scan takes 40 minutes to complete.

Full Scan I don't know because 3-5 hours mentionned by other users is too long for me.

Please, if any Guru is monitoring this thread, drop a line to Moderators to take a closer look to this issue.

Thank you.

P.S. As I have already mentionned, the long scan time occure because NS is scanning a very large database of malware items.

Kudos0

Done 2 quick scans today. First took 30 minutes then run update and was ask to apply a patch. Second quick scan took 29 minutes then run update but no patch required. The quick scan i did early in the week took 36 minutes. I find the scan is quick up to 2,434 files than after very slow checking various malware files. 

I haven't done a full scan after reading that it can take up to 5 hours. 

Kudos0

I think the problem is back. Yesterday , after an update, I ran a Full Scan and it was just under 3 hours so I thought it was fixed. I am currently about an hour into a Full Scan and it has only scanned about 75000 items of what is usually about a 500000 item scan.

Kudos0

Update.....my most recent full scan took 4 hours and 10 minutes.

Kudos1 Stats

Hi there,

I also have the same issue as well. It happened last Wednesday (11.09.19) when the first quick scan took about an hour before I had to stop scanning (this is about the same time when Windows update occurred). Even after the latest Norton update (v22.19.8.65), the quick scan still takes long. This morning I receive a message on Norton to fix my laptop by running a quick scan because I haven't complete scanning for about 6 days. This time it clocked in about 40 minutes. Which is a bit better but still that's too long to complete. We all know that normally the quick scan takes about 8 to 10 minutes but now I think it's only the Win 7 PCs that are having this issue. I have other 2 devices (Win 10) and they scanned normally. It's just the Win 7 that is having this issue right now

Kudos0

Hi,

The last comment provided by Nakki1305 was helpful as it appears that the long time scans are W7 related.

Just want to mention that in August Symantec was forced to release a specific Norton version 22.18.0.222 for Windows 7 in order to resolve some issues with Windows Update. Part of those updates was KB4474419

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4474419/sha-2-code-signing-supp...

which was updated again to v3 on September 10th.

• This security update was released March 12, 2019 for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.
  • This security update was updated May 14, 2019 to add support for Windows Server 2008 SP2.
  • This security update was updated June 11, 2019 for Windows Server 2008 SP2 to correct an issue with the SHA-2 support for MSI files.
  • This security update was updated August 13, 2019 to include the bootmgfw.efi file to avoid startup failures on IA64-based versions of Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.
  • This security update was updated September 10, 2019 to include boot manager files to avoid startup failures on x64-based versions of Windows 7 SP1, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 SP2.

Maybe it's related and W7 users need a new Norton specific update.

In my case, Norton quick scan does not stall at all, it only scans a very large database of malware items which can easily be viewed if user runs a manual Quick Scan and watch the Norton Quick Scan GUI during scan.

Kudos0

The comment from Nakki1305 was also helpful for me, as i also have a Windows 7 PC, could this be the problem?

Kudos0

Update: 

Issue "Quick scan taking longer time to complete" has been fixed with latest virus definitions. Please run LiveUpdate from Norton product to receive latest definitions and let us know the issue fix status. Thanks

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos1 Stats

Run liveupdate than did two quick scans one was 5 mintues and the other 3 minutes and 48 seconds which is good news.