• Todas las Comunidades
    • Todas las Comunidades
    • Foros
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Avanzado

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1 Stats

My kid found a way around the system...

My child uses a Gateway laptop, running Windows XP SP2. He showed me how he learned from a youtube video that by simply opening My Computer > Properties, select hardware tab, click on device manager, under view, click on "show hidden devices", he can now see additional drivers(?) and under "Non-plug and Play Drivers", expand the list, look for "Symantec Redirector - Norton Safety Minder", right-click and disable it. After doing this, he could freely access any website he wanted. 

Any chance this vulnerability can be addressed in a future update? 

For now I have him on a limited account as to not have access to computer system/hardware settings... Unfortunately there is a way around that. =/

Respuestas

Kudos0

Re: My kid found a way around the system...

My child uses a Gateway laptop, running Windows XP SP2. He showed me how he learned from a youtube video that by simply opening My Computer > Properties, select hardware tab, click on device manager, under view, click on "show hidden devices", he can now see additional drivers(?) and under "Non-plug and Play Drivers", expand the list, look for "Symantec Redirector - Norton Safety Minder", right-click and disable it. After doing this, he could freely access any website he wanted. 

Any chance this vulnerability can be addressed in a future update? 

For now I have him on a limited account as to not have access to computer system/hardware settings... Unfortunately there is a way around that. =/

Kudos0

You can repair this by creating an new user account (for the windows) and that account should not have the right to do this. The admin have all the rights and from that account you can make new account with restrictions. For example at school I don't have admin account on the pc and I can't even view the properties of the desktop (right click->properties). I hope this will help you!

Kudos0

Hi Bravo,

Thank you and  your child very much for showing us the steps to work around the system.

We recommend parents strongly that you should give non-administrative rights (limited or restricted) to your children's Windows accounts.  Otherwise, with administrative rights, they are able to tamper the system one way or the other.  You and user "autoplayer" are right by giving the child limited rights.

Thanks,

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.