• Todas las Comunidades
    • Todas las Comunidades
    • Foros
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Avanzado

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1 Stats

Error 5013,3

I have a 2011 Dell XPS with Win7. I have been getting an error code 5013,3 and I followed your directions for that code but when I run the utility that you specify, I do not have the option (Base Filtering Engine) that you list. What do I do now? (services.msc)

Respuestas

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Error 5013,3

Hi stetsujin269.

Welcome to the community.

Others may be able to guess what software you are using from what you have posted but it would help me and others to help you if you told us what Norton/Symantec software you are running.  That would also help the mods to put your post in the right forum for better visibility.

Sorry I can't help any more at the moment.

Mike
Kudos0

Hi stetsujin

Andmike is correct......You have advised us regarding your computer model and O/S as being a Dell XPS and your Windows 7 OS .....That is a starting point ....but the help you require will be best addressed if we know which Norton product you are having issues with

Open your Norton interface......click "Support " -------.> "About " ...you will see the product Version No. (eg. Version 19.2.0.10)

Let us know the details of your Norton product etc; and that helps us to find an answer for you !

Thanks...Ed

Windows7 SP1....Norton NIS 2012 ...4Gb RAM ..Momentus XT SolidState HybridHDDocendo discimus ( Teach in order to learn)
Kudos0

Mike's (the first reply) seemed a little sarcastic and that was not helpful. I have the version number.....I thought everyone ran the current version if they routinely update: 5.1.0.29. The problem occurs when I first boot up. It tries to auto-update and cannot. Spits out the error message and then moves me to a "support session" which yields nothing. I have adjusted my setting for manual and not automatic updates. I ran a manual update this morning (9Dec11) and it seemed to take. I am not sure that this is something I need to worry about or not. Any advice?

Kudos0

I am having the same issue, and my operating system is Windows 7, I just bought Norton Internet Security 2012 today and it is already saying there is an error. It would be helpful to me as well if someone could find a solution to the problem, I've tried finding answers myself.

Kudos3 Stats

<--- Pasting the content of my original post here again --- >

Steps which can be tried to resolve the issue:-

• Copy BFE registry entries from a different machine in a notepad and then rename it to .reg file .
  • Once you run this .reg file on the effected machine, a new entry will created in registry.
  • Restart the machine and  check the registry entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BFE.
  • Once this is done, Right click on the registry key and select permission and add the user as NT Services\BFE and give full permission.
  • In order to solve this issue, we can just copy this file on your machine, rename it and run it. 

Attached is the registry entry for your reference

File Attachment: 
Kudos1 Stats

Hi again stetsujin

stetsujin269 wrote:

Mike's (the first reply) seemed a little sarcastic and that was not helpful. I have the version number.....I thought everyone ran the current version if they routinely update: 5.1.0.29. The problem occurs when I first boot up. It tries to auto-update and cannot. Spits out the error message and then moves me to a "support session" which yields nothing. I have adjusted my setting for manual and not automatic updates. I ran a manual update this morning (9Dec11) and it seemed to take. I am not sure that this is something I need to worry about or not. Any advice?

With respect stetsujin....you have imadvertantly posted in the NIS 2012 boards ! ...From your reply and the fact that you are using Ver.5.1.0.29 ...points to your product being Norton 360!.... .If that is the product in which you are seeing your Error 5013.3 ...then you would get better help in the specific Norton 360 boards . ..I will see if I can get your query transferred for better exposure ! 

Regards........Ed

Windows7 SP1....Norton NIS 2012 ...4Gb RAM ..Momentus XT SolidState HybridHDDocendo discimus ( Teach in order to learn)
Kudos0

stetsujin269 wrote:

Hi,

Your assumption that everyone always runs the current version with the latest updates is just that - an assumption. Mike asked the question because it makes a difference in how to arrive at the correct recommendations which will provide you with a solution.

Could the reason that it cannot update be that your system has not yet made its Internet connection?

Dick Win 10x64 current current NSBU
Kudos0

I am having the same problem, it just began today.  I am using Noron 360 (and I believe I am in the right forum)  I have run Live update 3 times.  I have checked that I have the latest version 5.0.1.29  When I start my PC, it tells me that I am at risk.  Does anyone know what this error actually is and where do we proceed from here.

Kudos1 Stats

What a WASTE of my time! I am a computer USER and not a computer geek. I should not, nor should anyone have to go through this much hassle and inconvenience to simply use a common product on a mainline machine. It seems that some of the computer geeks at Symatec just didn't do their R & D. I think I will go back to my previous AV. I had NO problems with it. I didn't have to waste any time on forums like this. Thanks for nothing.

Kudos2 Stats

Hi Stets,

Did you try the steps which i shared in my post?

Regards,

Prasanna

Kudos0

I had the same error with mine and found out that it was a virus that basically ate some the major files that Windows needed to function.   I was told byt Symantec to format Windows and reinstall it and I should not have anymore issues.  I did that and they were right and I have no more issues.

Main System: MacBook Pro (Mac OS X 10.7.4/ Microsoft Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64Secondary Systems: HP dv6500t Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x86/HP dv7-1275dx Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 x64Symantec: Norton 360 7.0/2013 (20.2.0.19)
Kudos3 Stats

Hi again stetsujin

stetsujin269 wrote:

What a WASTE of my time! I am a computer USER and not a computer geek. I should not, nor should anyone have to go through this much hassle and inconvenience to simply use a common product on a mainline machine. It seems that some of the computer geeks at Symatec just didn't do their R & D. I think I will go back to my previous AV. I had NO problems with it. I didn't have to waste any time on forums like this. Thanks for nothing.

Sorry you feel that way ........People who respond here do so in good faith and with every intention to offer their assistance !

With respect ...you did provide only minimal information ...and we politely requested the Product and Version details because it is important in finding the correct solution ...That's all !

Seeing as you feel we have wasted your time and posted  the type of comment above which you have duly responded with .....then it would seem that any potential future helper may meet with the same response when they ask for further info from you?

I can only hope that , if at any future date you have problems with any software you use ...Make sure you clearly state the details of your problem and provide the simple answers that people request and help will be forthcoming .

Kudos0

Hi,

If you follow the steps mentioned by Prasanna that missing service (Base Fiter) will be created in the Computer.

Kudos1 Stats

I think the frustration that others have posted is that unless someone knows a lot about computers, this advise is not helpful. I also am having the exact same problem, and am frustrated that the Nortion 360 I have can't fix it.  I'll follow instructions to fix it myself, but I have no idea how to find the "BFE registry entries" and how do you run a .reg file?  Also where would I find the registry entry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic​es\BFE".

Most of the folks ending up here looking for help aren't computer science majors and need a little more basic info.

I am running Windows 7, and have Norton 360 Premier. This is the Norton 360 forum, so I'm assuming its the correct board.

I've run Norton Power Eraser and Power Eraser Beta, which didn't find any problems.  I've also followed the instructions for removal, but there is no Basic Filtering file in my Accessories folder.  I have no idea how to find or copy the BFE folder.  Its frustrating because the few webpages that Norton has made on how to fix this are only partial answers, and don't tell you what to do if their instructions don't work (like not being able to find the Basic Filtering file, which according to the forums is a common problem).

Thanks in advance for clarifying!

Beth

Kudos1 Stats

Update: Several hours into this and I was able to figure out from a different website how to find and copy the BFE file. I did, dropped it to the desktop of the infected computer, renamed it BFE.reg, and tried to run it. It started but then stopped, giving me the message: "The specified file is not a registry script. You can only import binary registry files from within the registry creator."

So then I went to your original message and copied the BFE.txt file to the desktop. Renamed that as BFE.reg, but when I clicked it, it still only opened as a .txt.

Five hours into this and no closer to a solution.

Thanks, Beth

Kudos1 Stats

I just updated my Norton, and I keep receiving an error message when I log in from the One click Support.  The website gave me the instructions below, but they aren't working. I didn't have a "Base Filtering Engine" in my services.msc.  Can anyone tell me what to do next?

Error: "5013,3" appears on Norton 360 Version 5.0

STEP 1Temporarily turn off Norton Product Tamper Protection
  1. Start Norton 360.

2. Click Settings.

3. Under Quick Controls, uncheck Norton Tamper Protection.

4. In the Security Request window, from the select the duration drop-down menu, select Until system restart, and then click OK.

5. In the Settings window, click Close.

STEP 2Enable the Base Filtering Engine service
  1. Click the Start button, and then click All Programs > Accessories > Run.

2. In the Run dialog box, type the following text:

services.msc

3. Click OK.

If you receive the User Account Control prompt, click Yes or Continue.

4. In the Services window, under the Name column, locate and double-click Base Filtering Engine.

5. To the right of Startup type, verify that Automatic appears.

If Startup type is not Automatic, then in the drop-down list, click Automatic.

6. To the right of Service Status, verify that Started appears.

If the Service status is not Started, then click Start.

7. Click OK.

8. Exit the Services window.

9. Restart the computer.

Kudos0

Hi,

Please refer to my post in this thread for the solution, please try and let us know if that worked.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Error-5013-3/td-p/607688

Regards,

Prasanna

Kudos4 Stats

Hi 

Welcome to Norton Community. Follow the steps as given below do not miss anything or skip anything or swap any steps. If you do these thing you will end up getting a Blue Screen Error (computer Crash).

1. Run Norton Removal Tool

2. Restart the Computer

3. Save the attached file to your Desktop and rename it as BFE.reg

4. Doublick the BFE.reg file

5. Accept the Prompts

6. Open Run(Win key + r)->Type regedit

7. Goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SYSTEM --> CurrentControlSet --> services --> BFE

8. Right click on the BFE select Permissions-> Add --> Advanced --> Find now

9. Among the list select Everyone. (Check the below image for reference)

10. OK --> OK --> Put a check mark next to Full Control --> OK

11. Restart the Computer 

12. Install your Norton Product from here.

13. Run Live Update.

Keep us posted if you've any doubts...

Kudos2 Stats

Hi Beth I understand you are having trouble getting the file recognised as a .reg file. Please perform the below steps.

1. Open the backup.reg file.

2. Go to the file menu there.

3. Select Save As option and in the resulting Save As window select the drop down for File Type as All File *.*.

4. In the same window, change name of the file as backup1 and click save.

This will save the file in correct format.

Kudos0

Here's what I did, step by step:

copy the BFE.text attachment that you can find on the first page of this string of messages, the thing with the 1s and 0s, into notepad I found notepad by clicking the start button and typing in notepad. I saved the notepad file to my desktop with the name .regfile

You can't just click on this new file, you have to install it.

Go to:

start->all programs->accessories->run

when you see the run box, type in regedit and click okay

in the registry editor, click on file -> import

I had to look through all the files on my desktop to find it, because it didn't show up under Registration Files,

but I found it and clicked on it so it showed up in the File Name box. Click Open.

That installs the info into the registry. However, although the registry now shows HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE etc now, the base filtering engine still doesn't appear and I'm still getting the 5013,3 error message.

Kudos0

Hi, syzygos,

Try rebooting, if you have not done so already. The registry is processed when Windows loads, so your changes won't be used until you reboot...

Let us know if that helps--and thanks for the detailed instructions for others!

Kudos2 Stats

Hi syzyqos,

We are already past the first stage now, since you already got the registry values for the BFE service created.

The next stage is to change the permissions of the registry mentioned by Prasanna (message 7 for this topic).

To make this simpler, you can look up Subash's post on the forum using search string "Error Message 5013,3"

He has put up screenshots on how to edit the registry to apply the changes.

As with everything to do with the registry, please take a backup of the registry AND create a system restore point before making any changes there.

Kudos0

My computer is running Windows 7.  Following the 5013,3 error correction procedure; at Step 2 number 4 I do not have "Base Filtering Engine" listed under the name column.  Is there something else I can do to correct this error, or is there something within Windows 7 that must be changed?

Kudos0

I'm having the same problem. Does it keep alerting you about updating Windows 7 security and telling you that you have 25 threats?

Kudos0

I'm getting the same error. The link takes you to www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions..

Is this legit?

Todd

Kudos0

Welcome,

allenbrown

mckintionary

paleryder

I am going to assume that you have rebooted and run live update at least once since the error appeared. I would suggest that you do a control panel uninstall, reboot and reinstall the program. Reboot and run live upadte until it tells you that all of the updates hanve been downloaded and installed.

Please report back on your resullts

Thanks

Kudos0

I had run live update before running a virus scan. Got zero hits. Ran Malwarebytes and hit a Trojan. Not sure if it was the cause but it was quarantined and deleted. Sorry, but I deleted it before I copied the name. I do recall "SMAD" somewhere in the name.

Kudos1 Stats

Hold on a second Dick

If the service "Base Filtering Engine" is gone, reinstalling Norton will not replace it.

There is another topic in this section with a fix but it seems like some people are having trouble understanding it.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Error-5013-3/td-p/607688

Post #6 by prasanna outlines the fix, but I reccomend backing up the registry or manually creating a restore point before starting.

If it's any help, I have done it several times myself.

Dave

Kudos0

paleryder wrote:

I had run live update before running a virus scan. Got zero hits. Ran Malwarebytes and hit a Trojan. Not sure if it was the cause but it was quarantined and deleted. Sorry, but I deleted it before I copied the name. I do recall "SMAD" somewhere in the name.

That was my understanding, an infection causes the problem with the BFE service.  What I'm unsure about is if the infection it'self removes or damages the BFE or if it's the removal of the infection that removes the service.

It doesn't "just happen" without an infection.

Kudos0

I'm on hold.

Looks like thr ground I stepped on wasn't quite as firm as I anticipated. After I clean up I'll be more careful

Thanks for the correction.

Kudos0

Darn it. It was in the registry and I should have written it down. Sorry.

I'm not sure of what process it as affecting. After I removed it, I ran live update. I'm not sure what the process is that you're talking about. What should I be looking for? Thanks.

Kudos0

DaveH,

You are right in that there is a posting on the matter but it is way over my head. I tried to follow it but for a regular point-and-click person, it is hard to follow. I think the writer assumed that some of us have more knowledge on how to do the things that were recommended than we actually do.

Kudos1 Stats

It looks like some people are having problems changing the text file given into a .reg file and it also seems that some people are unfamilar with working in the registry and setting permissions.  Thats perfectly understandable for people who have never done it before.  It's also something I would usually not reccomend doing unless it's an advanced user who is familiar with the registry.

However, if someone wants to do it and accepts the fact that they are doing it at there own risk, I will give a couple suggestions.

If your view settings are not set to show all files and unhide system files, the easiest way to change that test file into a registry file would be to right click on it and select "Save Target As"  on the download box that comes up, the bottom box must be changed from "Text Document" to "ALL Files". 

The filename in the box above it must be changed from BFE.txt to BFE.reg

After the file is downloaded it should not look like a text file, the icon should show what looks like a blue rubic's cube.

After applying the reg file the system must be rebooted, then the permission in the registry can be changed by adding the user group "NT Services\BFE"

When I did it myself I was unsure if the "s" in services should be there,  I used "NT Service\BFE"  myself.

But I can check that later when I have some extra free time.

Dave 

Kudos0

paleryder wrote:

DaveH,

You are right in that there is a posting on the matter but it is way over my head. I tried to follow it but for a regular point-and-click person, it is hard to follow. I think the writer assumed that some of us have more knowledge on how to do the things that were recommended than we actually do.

Yes, sometimes us nerds speak a different language.

I'm reluctant to give step by step instructions because I would hate to have someone make a mistake and blame me for more problems.   But I would be willing to try to make some screenshots when I have time later and show how it's done.

But only if anyone following it understands that they are doing it at there own risk.

Dave

Kudos0

Hi Dave

Please check my post in here which might help to accomplish the mission.

Regards

Subash

Kudos0

Okay, I'm a complete idiot. Your post in #3 says save the attached file to your desktop and rename it as BFE.reg. What attached file? I apologize for my ignorance.

Kudos0

Sorry my bad the file is there in the link posted by prasanna...Attaching the file here.

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

Thank You Subash,

I seemed to have missed that one.  It's an excellent demonstration on how to do it.

Dave

Kudos0

Subash:

I presume Norton Removal Tool means, "uninstall the program?"

Step 3 says "save the attached file to your desktop."  I do not see an attached file with your instructions.  Wherre do I find it?  Thanks, Steve

Kudos1 Stats

The Attached file is in Post 38.

Kudos0

Subash:

Your instructions worked perfectly...many thanks!!  Steve

Kudos0

Glad to hear that steve....

Kudos0

I am getting the same error and would like to follow your recommendations, but I don't see the referenced file for downloading in your post? 

Kudos0

GHI wrote:

I am getting the same error and would like to follow your recommendations, but I don't see the referenced file for downloading in your post? 

It's in this post:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Error-5013-3/m-p/614462/highlight/true#M62350

There is a one hour time limit as to when a post may be editd and he recongnized that he had left off the other post, but he could not edit that post, so he added it in another post.

Kudos0

I followed the instruction and got the Base Filtering Engine to appear but when I click start it said "Error 5: Access is denied". Can anyone help me with that?

Kudos0

Hi,

Please go through the Post 19 and follow the instructions to give permission to the BFE in Regedit.

Kudos0

after loading Norton 360, on start-up i receive an error code of 5013,3. i launch the website to attempt the fix and do not find the Base Filtering utility referenced. How do i fix this?

Kudos0

Hi mardwright,

Please follow the instructions supplied by Subash in this post:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Error-5013-3/m-p/613244/highlight/true#M62348

Also note he forgot to include the "attached file" in the above post, but added it in the following post:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Error-5013-3/m-p/614462/highlight/true#M62350

Please post back with results.

Kudos0

I tried coping the BFE file provided.... it will not allow me to rename it to a .reg file... Can you help?

Kudos0

SOKRNUT wrote:

I tried coping the BFE file provided.... it will not allow me to rename it to a .reg file... Can you help?

What I would suggest is to go to the text file attachment, right click on it and then left click on Save Target As.  This will bring up a new "Save As" page.   Left Click on Desktop, and in the File Name box towards the botton, change the name to BFE.reg. and click on SAVE.   This should place a short cut on the Desktop named BFE.reg. Then follow the remaining instructions.

You know where to find  us if you need more help.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.