• Todas las Comunidades
    • Todas las Comunidades
    • Foros
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Avanzado

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

About 2009

Alright, this is my first time trying a norton product since... Like.. 2002..  As I imagined, a lot has changed.

Up until today, i've been using another firewall program, until I bought Norton internet Security 2009 (As a result of a security issue which made me decide, I need something better then just a freeware firewall). So after some system lockups at startup, and the dread of having to part with my previous firewall, I've finally installed Norton Internet Security 2009 (Which by the way may I say looks much more therough than what I was previously using). 

So I log online to check a few things, and opened a few programs on the side (games, chatting, etc etc), only to be jumped by "windows firewall notification" that my browser, chatting and game programs are trying to connect to the internet. However, the Norton 2009 Security interface says the norton firewall and protection (so on and so fourth) is functional. 

So I asked myself "why would I be getting windows firewall notifications if I should be protected by norton, shoudnt I be getting some sort of norton notification?".

Which made me curious, is norton internet security  2009 doing its job? When I used my previous firewall program, I never had any notification at all from windows, it was always a programm access check by my prior. Norton somewhat intimidates me, when i checked my firewall internet settings, it looks much more complex then the simpler firewalls i've seen in the past.

Is this how my system and notifications should be acting? Do I need to turn windows firewall off for the norton firewall to work? You will have to pardon me, I've always had someone else in the household help me out before, but since they moved out, i have been left without anyone to speak to about this matter.

Respuestas

Kudos0

Re: About 2009

You will want to disable the Windows Firweall because two firewalls running simutainously will cause confilcts and slow things down considerably. Additionally, Windows Firewall is medicore; it only monitors inbound traffic. If something slips past it, your comptuer could easily be turned into a bot.

Norton's firewall is solid. It is not complex. There is a program control menu for inexperienced users, and more advanced options for advanced users. 

=\
Kudos0

It's normal that Norton doesn't notify you about programs that are accessing the internet. As I can remember, since version 2006, where "Firewall Learning" feature was included, Norton's aim is "Keep me protected and stay out of my way". By default, NIS should turn off Windows Firewall during installation.

Kudos0

If you want Norton to alert you about everything you need to turn off Automatic Program Control and turn on Advanced Event Monitoring. Also be sure your previous firewall was full uninstalled. What was your previous firewall? After uninstalling it did you verify that the Windows Security center showed no firewall active?
Real Time Protection = NIS 2009 + NATBehavior Analysis = ThreatfireOn Demand = MBAM
Kudos0

My previous firewall was the zone alarm. I didnt uninstall it when I was prompted to, I skipped passed the uninstall request, by clicking skip, and proceeded to install norton 2009 security anyway.

Like I said in my first post, I am not computer savvy, I've always had help doing firewalls, and I really didnt think about what could happen if I had more then one. More firewalls means more security, right? 

At some point during installation, norton 2009 locked up when it initiated while zone alarm was still active. After exactly "7" reboots, I was able to manage shutting down zone alarm right when it started up, seconds before norton 2009 started up, my desktop and computer froze, when they both were active. 

At this time, my windows firewall in control panel, was turned off, as Zone-alarm was the primary firewall. I uninstalled zone alarm, since I didnt wish to have to reboot seven times every day, just to get on my computer. Norton, at this point, finished up it's activation, now that my computer was no longer locking up after startup. 

However, after my reboot after norton finished its installation (now that it was able to), windows firewall seems to have become the dominant firewall, and Norton, well, i'm not sure if it is working properly. So, heres what I did, I disconnected manually from the net, (unplugged my internet cable), then turned of my windows firewall.

I rebooted once more, and Norton showed up in my little tray with a green checkmark, however, when I check my control panel, my windows firewall, still off, clearly states "your computer is unprotected, turn on windows firewall".

I find this strange, since in the past, when i checked my windows firewall, back when i had zone alarm, it said "your computer is protected by zone alarm". But it isnt giving me any indication at all that norton is protecting my computer, of course, from the norton icon in the system tray, it says I am fully protected, but as far as my firewall status in control panel is concerned, I am unprotected.

It seems Zone Alarm, is not norton compatable, hence why I uninstalled it. But unlike zone alarm, when I check my control panel systems firewall, my security is at risk, even after rebooting from deactivating windows firewall. 

In my opening post, i also stated, before, i used to get zone alarm alerts for everything I tried to do, but I get no such alerts or even any indication that Norton is making an effort to protect me like zone alarm did. From what I understand, Norton is supposed to be a smart no-hassel firewall, but like I also said, earlier today I was getting prompts from windows firewall, before I disabled it.

Now, I am unprotected, according to my control panel, it no longer says I am protected by zone alarm (because I uninstalled it, naturally), disabled windows firewall, and norton isnt giving me any indication it is protecting me, even my firewall status in control panel tells me i'm still at risk. Shouldnt Norton be protecting me, or indicating it is taking place of windows firewall, like zone alarm did?

I dont need to uninstall-reinstall do I? Is there some way to make my computer "recognize" norton?

Kudos0

You cannot run 2 firewall Period. You cannot run 2 antivirus period. You need to start from scatch. Please Uninstall NIS 2009 and reboot. Run the Norton Removal Tool and reboot. Clean up all left over files from Zone Alarm and reboot. Install NIS 2009. Before you install NIS 2009 shut off Windows firewall. You shoud now have a warning that no firewall and no antivirus are present. Youe Windows Security Center is all messed up cause you were trying to run 2 firewalls. You may also need to rebuild the repository folder in Windows before installing NIS 2009.

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039?OpenDocument&seg=hm&lg=en&ct=us

Message Edited by Dieselman743 on 10-31-2008 08:38 PM
Real Time Protection = NIS 2009 + NATBehavior Analysis = ThreatfireOn Demand = MBAM
Kudos0

How to fully remove Zone Alarm :

To remove ZoneAlarm completely from your computer in case normal uninstall can’t be run or doesn’t run properly, do the following:

* Right click the ZoneAlarm systray icon and click Restore ZoneAlarm Control Center.

Go to Overview > Preferences and uncheck Load ZoneAlarm at startup.

Close Control Center, right click the icon again and then click Shutdown ZoneAlarm.

Note: If you're unable to carry out this step because the icon is missing, you can skip it and proceed with the next steps, but in this case do them all in safe mode!

* REBOOT

* Go to Start > Programs > ZoneLabs and click Uninstall, or uninstall ZA using Control Panel > Software > Add/Remove Programs.

If a security check appears, click Yes and continue the uninstall procedure.

* REBOOT

* Make sure hidden files and folders are shown. To do so open Windows Explorer. Depending on your OS click Tools or View and then Folder Options > View.

Choose Show hidden files and folders, uncheck Hide protected operating system files (Windows 2000/XP/2003 only) and click OK.

* Next go to Start > Search > Files and Folders. Make sure the location box is set to search your Local Hard Drive (usually C:\ ) or All Local Drives. Also make

sure the Advanced Search Options are set to search subfolders and hidden files. Now copy the entire line below, paste it into the search box and click Search Now.

Zonelabs; "zone labs"; "Internet logs"; vsconfig.xml; vsdata.dll; vsdata95.vxd; vsdatant.sys; vsmon.*; vsmonapi.dll; vsnetutils.dll;vspubapi.dll; zaplus.*; zapro.*; zllictbl.dat; zlparser.dll; zonealarm.exe; zoneband.dll; vsutil.dll; zlclient.*

A list of files and folders belonging to ZoneAlarm will appear in the Search Results pane.

Note:  if you’re using McAfee software be sure to check the vsutil.dll if found: right click the file and choose Properties. Verify it belongs to ZoneLabs.

If it does not do not remove it. Now proceed by deleting all ZoneLabs files and folders that were found.

* Empty the Recycle Bin.

* Now remove all ZoneLabs keys that may be left in the Windows registry. To do this copy the lines below and paste them into Notepad.

Save the file as zabegone.reg, double click it and allow for the registry changes to be made.

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ZAMailSafe]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Zone Labs]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Zone Labs]

[-HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Zone Labs]

* REBOOT

ZoneAlarm will now be completely removed from your computer. If you wish to install a new copy of ZA, be sure to do so under an administrator account

with full rights and permissions.   
Kudos0

How to rebuild the repository folder :

Go to control panel and open Administrative tools.
Click on services.
Go down to Windows Managament Instrumentation.
Stop this service. along with Security Center.
Exit out of this area to your desktop.
Right click Start and choose Explore.
Go down to c:\windows or Winnt\system32\wbem\repository.
Delete the Repository Folder
Go back to Services and restart the WMI program
Then re-boot the computer
Kudos0

Okay, I didnt understand a lot of what you just said. Like I said, i'm not computer or tech savvy, and some of your instructions just made my head spin, (You may have to break this down into steps for me, literally step 1, step 2, etc etc, but I appreciate you trying to help) now you have me asking myself what the heck I am doing. I dont want to mess anything up with all these administration services and whatever.

I did the best I could to follow your instructions, I uninstalled norton with the add/remove programs, since it was right there in control panel. Then I tried to re-install it, clean.

I dont know how to look for the zone alarm things, I think i completly uninstalled it when I used add/remove programs the first time though, i'm not entierly sure. I dont know what i'mlooking for, or what i'm doing, and that was a long list of thigns to do, so i wasnt really sure what to search for, or what search thing i'm using, or where i'm copying pasting this line you gave me (not tech savvy, your going to need to tell me exactly what i'm doing, to a T).

Anyhow, that didnt work, so i uninstalled norton with add/remove programs again.

I think I was able to repair my repository, I was able to get most of that, but when i tried to start my windows firewall to check and see if I had a "no firewall no antivirus" notification, it told me "could not display windows firewall due to an unidentified problem". I seem to be able to pull up windows firewall now, but it still says unprotected, even after reinstalling "nis 2009" (this time I was not prompted to uninstall anything, nis2009 installed itself, and calmly booted up, NiS2009 tells me i'm secure, but windows firewall still tells me i'm not).

Can you send me a screenshot of what i'm doing? What my windows firewall should look like? I remember back when i had zone alarm, my windows firewall in control panel said something along the lines of "you dont need to turn on windows firewall, because you are already running ______ " I again, am ow unprotected, and following your advice, nothing seems to have been resolved.

I dont think i'm understanding your instructions Dieselman743, or something isnt being done right? Should my windows firewall in control panel recognize NiS 2009, like it recognized zone alarm, and asured me I was covered? 

How can this be helped? I'm getting very frustrated with NiS 2009 :( I paid good money for this product, but I feel "naked" :((((

Kudos0

Please, please follow all the steps I tell you to. Print them out. DO NOT INSTALL NIS TILL EVERYTHING IS DONE. You do not need to be tech savy to follow instructions abnd print them out. You need to be sure Zone Alarm is completely gone. Those instructions arr straight from Zone Alarm themselves. Also did you run the Norton Removal Tool I linked you to after uninstalling Norton?
Kudos0

It is not NIS that is causing the problems. Its the steps you toook to install it. Also did you uninstall your previous antivirus?Message Edited by Dieselman743 on 11-01-2008 03:31 AM
Kudos0

No, I used add/remove programs, i've been told I should always use that for my software (No exceptions), by my roomie. I am not sure if I was able to fully remove zone alarm or not, when I do a search thinghy I get several options what to search, each with their own other catagories "all or part of the filename" "A word or phrase in the file", and I really dont know much about the rest of it. Also, I am apparently running service pack 3, it seems, I dont know what that means though, or if that has anything to do with norton, but I was told service packs might make an issue of the matter. This is my first time -ever- using a software product without my roomie. Would using the norton removal thing even make a difference considering i've installed/reinstalled? Can you show me a screenshot of your windows firewall?
Kudos0

My previous antivirus was adaware by lavasoft, but thats really not an antivirus is it? Like I said in my opening post "I" havent used a norton roduct since 02, and even then I had someone help me with it, my roomie had norton 08 on our computer, and zone alarm both, somehow to be dual firewalled (I think?), the subscription ran out, so I bought 09 for us (or maybe it was just norton anti virus? I dont remember the name), and thats when the problems started, because my roomie is no longer in this country,  cant call them. So of course, I didnt think anything about just throwing norton internet security 2009 on here.
Kudos0

Also, reeading over the instructions again, how do I do the safe mode?
Kudos0

I finally found the zone alarm remains. I wasnt sure where they were, but there were about 25 or so files that turned up on the search, I right clicked them and moved them to the recycling bin. Should I delete them, or would it be safe to wait until I do the norton things first?
Kudos0

Alright, here is where i'm currently at. Because i'm trying to figure all this stuff out on my own, i'm winging it to the best of my ability.

-

First, I did the repository thing, I dont know how to tell if that worked or not

Re-installing norton internet security 2009 (having used remove/add programs), didnt fix the firewall issue (?), so I turned windows firewall back on (and it currently is on, windows firewall doesnt seem to respond to norton internet security 2009, like when it recognized zone alarm).

That search thing finally completed, I moved 20 some files into the recycling bin, where they now sit. Not sure if I should remove Norton again or not before or after deleting them.

I have a pad on my desktop, I havent done anything with the regedit4 thing yet, do I need to move it into a special file or folder?

What am I doing next?

Kudos0

Please do not reinstall NIS 2009 till everything is fixed. So now your saying you had Norton Antivirus 2008 and Zone Alarm installed before. You need to unistall any and Norton products via the Add/Remove programs area. Then run the Norton Removal Tool. After rebooting Windows Security Center should show no firewall and no antivirus active. Please follow these steps. Ad Aware is not an antivirus.
Kudos0

If after doing all this Windows Security Center still shows 2 firewalls or an antivirus active you need to rebuild the repository folder. DO NOT INSTALL NIS TILL ALL THIS IS DONE. Your skipping steps.
Kudos0

Alright, then i proceed with the other instructions, correct? I'm having them print right now. Should I re-do that depository thing again? Or should that be fine now?
Kudos0

Well, Currently I do have my windows firewall on, should I be turning that off before I uninstall? What about the files I have sitting right now in my recycling bin? Before or after? I'm confused.
Kudos0

The problem is you went and installed NIS 2009 which is a full security suite without uninstalling any of your previous security programs. Now Windows has no idea what's going on.
Kudos0

Windows isnt the only one...
Kudos1 Stats

Hi Dieselman

I think you're being a bit tough,Sc4m has said they are not techie,slow the advice down a bit.I mean this in the best possible way.

Cheers Mo Windows 7 64 bit, NIS2013
Kudos0

Thanks mo,

Like I said, it would be best for me if this was literally broken down into steps.

I appreciate diesle for all the support so far, at least I have an idea of what I need to do and where i'm going, but a lot of this, i'm honestly struggling with. 

Now I remember why I havent bought anything norton since 2002. I had thought after 6 years, things would be a bit better, easier, but after uninstalling a program, i apparently, still have to uninstall it, then uninstall my own program yet again, to make sure it is working properly. 

I'm doing the best I can, but a lot of this, it just isnt making sense to me.. "I" just dont get it -.- I mean I do, just not at the same level everyone else here does. Still, i'm trying the best I can :S

Kudos0

I am not being tough. You do not have to be techie to follow the instructions if you print them out. I am trying to point out the importance of following steps but Sc4m needs to stop reinstalling NIS till the problem is fixed.
Kudos0

Hi Sc4m

Hang in there I'm sorry I'm in the same boat as you not to with it in the pc realm,but hang around and you will get some answers.this place is great to learn from!

Kudos0

I am trying Mo. Glad to help you along the way.
Kudos0

Okay so i'm going to try this again, let me know if what i'm going to do is right, and wont cause anymore problems for any of us here.

1. Disconnect from the net, Uninstall NIS via add/remove programs, then run norton removal tool

2. turn OFF windows firewall

3. Delete files in recycling bin, which were pulled from my file search

4. notepad on the desktop, rename it to the following zabegone.reg, and plce the regedit4 and hkey information into it (save, and leave it on desktop?)

5. Reboot, and reinstall NIS.

6. Reconnect to the internet, come back here, and talk about how that didnt work (if norton doesnt get recognised by windows security firewall in control panel)

Kudos0

Hi diesel

What I'm trying to say is your info is fast all at once,and it needs to be a bit slower so Sc4m can grasp the 1st piece then move on to the next step.Well thats what I'm thinking.If I'm wrong sorry again as I really can't assist but I know you can help.

Kudos0

Mo, out of curiosity, does your controlpanel/win-firewall recognize NIS2009?
Kudos0

DO NOT INSTALL NIS 2009 TILL THE SECURITY CENTER IS FIXED. When you are all set the security center should show no antivirus and no firewall active. Tell me when this is done.
Kudos0

Yes Windows will show NIS as your firewall and antivirus. It does for me.
Kudos0

When you run the Norton Removal Tool (http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039?OpenDocument&seg), be sure to run it twice; that is, once you have used it once and re-started, run it again, then re-start.Message Edited by Floating_Red on 11-01-2008 12:40 PM
Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]
Kudos0

HiSc4m

In my control panel.windows firewall is off BUT in my security centre I have Firewall ON

Auto updates ON,Virus protection ON,I have XP and using NIS2009

Kudos0

Okay, I am showing as unprotected in windows firewall, I ran uninstall via add/remove programs, then i ran the norton removal tool for good measure.

Recycling Bin still has files in it,

Notepad is still sitting on desktop (not edited yet)

Now what do i do..

Kudos0

Floating_Red wrote:
When you run the Norton Removal Tool (http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039?OpenDocument&seg), be sure to run it twice; that is, once you have used it once and re-started, run it again, then re-start.Message Edited by Floating_Red on 11-01-2008 12:40 PM
Please do this first.  Since you have already ran it once already, run the N.R.T. again.
Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]
Kudos0

I shall run NRT again, right now.
Kudos0

What about the antivirus. It should show no antivirus active either. Good point Red about running NRT twice. Mo the Security Center should say NIS has your firewall and antivirus.
Kudos0

Since the removal of norton, I have no protection for virus either.
Kudos0

Sc4m wrote:
Since the removal of norton, I have no protection for virus either.

Have you Ran the N.R.T. twice, i.e. again?  You said you were going to run it again; just wondering if you have.

Message Edited by Floating_Red on 11-01-2008 12:53 PM
Kudos0

Hi Diesel

Yes it does I just have to use the little downward pointing arrows and it has the info Sorry for butting in was just concerned Sc4m might be overwhelmed but hey they are doing great (I will go now before I put any more of my foot to far in)

Kudos0

It's okay, mo; you can stay.  :)
Kudos0

Correct, I am "unprotected" status, with no norton, firewall, or antivirus.

But I still have the files in my recycling bin which were recieved from that search from my windows folder, and I still have the notepad on my desktop, which has nothing yet.

Kudos0

Sc4m wrote:
I shall run NRT again, right now.
Have you done this?
Kudos0

Correxct, I did the second removal run, seven minuets ago..
Kudos0

What is the note pad? Yes you dump the recycle bin. So the security center now says No Firewall and No antivirus. If so reboot and you should be able to install NIS 2009 no problems.
Kudos0

The zonelabs keys, you mentioned, Diesel. That I was supposed to copy some things down into notepad, and change it to zabegone.reg

I made a notepad on my desktop, but havent copied anything onto it yet, I'm not sure if i'm supposed to put it in a file or not, or where I am taking it.

Kudos0

Dieselman743 wrote:
What is the note pad? Yes you dump the recycle bin. So the security center now says No Firewall and No antivirus. If so reboot and you should be able to install NIS 2009 no problems.

Then Open your Norton Product and run Norton LiveUpdate.

I would then highly recommend you do a Full System Scan.

Kudos0

So, I am clear to install NIS2009 again?
Kudos0

Yes go ahead and install NIS 2009. The security center does show no antivirus and no firewall correct?
Kudos0

Sc4m wrote:
So, I am clear to install NIS2009 again?
Yes.  Please re-start your computer and then re-install N.I.S. 2009.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.