• Todas las Comunidades
    • Todas las Comunidades
    • Foros
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Avanzado

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton Family Crashing and also not correctly monitoring different users on the same machine

I have a couple of problems with Norton Family.

1. The Monitoring is either crashing or being diabled when our children are using the computer. I get an email saying that it has closed and will restart in 5 minutes.Part of the mesage is :

The Norton Family browser plug-in was unexpectedly turned off on CASA . This plug-in will be re-enabled automatically in five minutes. If it does not restart automatically, restart the browser or computer. The following features require the plug-in:

I'd like to know if either it's a bug or if the children have found some way to disable it temporarily (they are both under 10).

2. The second problem is that after one of our children has been using the computer and logs off and I log on, then I am unable to access websites because it thinks my child is still logged on. I have to do a full restart to clear the problem. I use a Dell AIO with Windows 8 (64bit version).

Th\anks

Respuestas

Kudos0

Re: Norton Family Crashing and also not correctly monitoring different users on the same machine

Every now and then I also receive the message "The Norton Family browser plug-in was unexpectedly turned off...". At first I was alarmed but after a while I figured out that it was meaningless. My guess is that the message means that the NF client (what you installed) temporarily lost contact with the NF servers. It's not something our little hackers do. The NF client will automatically reconnect.

You and your children should have separate user accounts on the computer. You install Norton Formally on your children's accounts, not your account. If Norton Family is not installed on your account, you are free to browse.

Kudos0

Re: Norton Family Crashing and also not correctly monitoring different users on the same machine

Hi sevilla315,

1.  If you are getting  the messages that add-on for the product is disabled on your kids' laptops,  when you see the message, please check the browser that your child uses to see if the Norton Family is enabled.  You can find it by clicking Tools -> Manage Add-ons in IE if IE is being used.

2. What version of Norton Family is installed on the PC?  The latest version is 2.8.0.5.

Thanks,

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

Hi Bulldoggy,

Yes thanks, and yes we do all have accounts on the system, with my wife and I having administrator priivileges.

What I was referring to is that after my child has either locked their session or even logged out completely, and I have logged on or switched to my session afterwards, it sometimes thinks that my session is hers - ie it's a bug. I know about these things, I create them all the time! I would understand if it was a sleeping account, but on occasions she was completely logged out, with only a full restart curing the problem, perhaps shutting down the daemon which monitors inappropriate content.

WRT Family version, I believe it's the most recent, since I upgraded my PC to a new Dell AIO with W8 only a month or so back, and upgrades happen pretty much automatically, but will check.

Regards,

Steve

Kudos0

Katie,

The message log show this:

23/06/13 09:06 : Norton Family's web browser monitoring component is either disconnected or disabled. Please restart the web browser or restart your computer. [CASA]

So I would assume that they are unprotected if they do not restart the browser or the machine is not restarted.

Regards,

Steve

BTW how do you check which client version you have? I can't see this anywhere

Kudos0

sevilla315,

To find the version, please click the Norton Family icon in the system tray and select “About Norton Family."  The latest version Norton Family is 2.8.0.5.

Even though the Norton Family (Norton Safety Minder) add-on is turned off, the program still monitors and blocks websites.

What monitors and blocks websites is Norton Family, not just the add-on. 

When you see the message, please check the browser that your child uses to see if the Norton Family (Norton Safety Minder) is enabled.  You can find it by clicking Tools -> Manage Add-ons in IE if IE is being used.

Thanks,

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

Hi sevilla315,

If you are still experiencing the issue, please let me know and I'll be glad to setup a remote session with you to check the  issue further.

Thanks,

Katie

Thanks Katie

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.