Everytime I run "get support" in my NIS 21.5 I get an "installation repair" since today.
Posted: 28-Aug-2014 | 6:39AM · 15 Replies · Permalink
I do got those "unknown installation repairs" in the past but not everytime I ran "get support".
Re: Everytime I run "get support" in my NIS 21.5 I get an "installation repair" since today.
Posted: 29-Aug-2014 | 1:40PM · Permalink
This is due to the recent change in the NVP add on for Firefox in an Intrusion Protection update that was just released.
The old method of injecting into the Firefox browser was using an "add-on". The update that went out this week removed that add-on and we inject directly into IE or Firefox. This makes it easier to support new Firefox and IE versions going forward and provides better protection that the old method of injecting.
What is being repaired and why it doesn't seem to stay repaired:
- Upon installation of NIS 21 we register the NVP Firefox add-on in the firefox registry.
- Now the update for Intrusion Prevention removes the entry in the Firefox registry (because the add-on is no longer needed or used)
- When you click "get support" NIS 21 scans the original install code vs what is currently on the system. Since the registry key for the Firefox add-on is now gone, it re-creates it and you see "installation success".
- Then almost immediately, our Intrusion Prevention component removes the registry key (as it is not needed)
- If you click "get support" again, it re-creates the key again, and so on...