• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

How Can I Completely Remove in Firewall Settings (Special) The Program Components? (NIS 2011)

HI ALL! My question so, how can I completely remove in Firewall Special Settings The Program Components (windows system dll files)? Everytime I choose "Remove Software" will back again all windows system component. I hope if can remove windows system dll-s, the firewall will ask everytime what can I do (enable or disable dll) and leak tests will 80-100 %! (if disable actions in firewall) Excuse me about my english, Thank You the answers! NIS forever! sebastian Hungary

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: How Can I Completely Remove in Firewall Settings (Special) The Program Components? (NIS 2011)

Hi sebastian88,

If you want to be alerted to every request for internet access so that you can choose to allow or block the action you can do so by going into the Norton Network Settings to the Smart Firewall Advanced Settings.  Click Configure[+], turn off Automatic Program Control and turn on Advanced Events Monitoring.  Be aware however that Automatic Program Control is the main operating mode for the Norton Smart Firewall.  Advanced Events Monitoring is designed more for testing and troubleshooting than for everyday use.  Most of the choices that you will have will permit the action for one time only, so you will be continually asked what you want to do every time a program wants internet access.  Automatic Program Control offers protection that is equally effective and much more convenient,.

Kudos0

Re: How Can I Completely Remove in Firewall Settings (Special) The Program Components? (NIS 2011)

Thank You the answer SendOfJive! Yes, I made it, but Program components (.dll)-s choices: remove or remove full software (all .dll) My choice was the second, remove software (all windows system .dll) I made the comodo leak test: was 290/340. Excellent, matousec go die.. But, next time NIS put back all .dll, (I didn't made everything put or not put back dll-s) I'did again remove all .dll from components, but NIS put again back. So I don't understand how can i finally remove all dll component from setting, because I run again comodo leak test was 130/340. Need I off other option in NIS? I turned off boot time protection, but NIS put again back .dll-s (so windows system dll-s) All leaktest testing registry files action, not only internet action... So if user can finally remove windows system dll-s from settings (remove software not only one dll) Norton on leak test will be the first . (On my comodo leak test: agnitum was 270/340, NIS was !!290/340 first time) On Matousec NIS need be the first. I'm using trial version on windows xp sp2) Thanks sebastian
Kudos0

Hello sebastian88

I see you have xp with only sp2. You should update to sp3 as sp2 is not supported any longer. That means you are not getting the support that you need to help keep your computer safe. You can not remove window system .dlls or else your windows will not boot up. The firewall is stopping you from doing that because it thinks it's some malware which is attacking your computer. You can not remove all window's .dlls.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NS 22.5.2.15 IE 11
Kudos1 Stats

Hi sebastian88,

When Automatic Program Control is turned on Norton will not block leak tests.  This is by design.  Since there is no malicious payload involved in a leak test these tests are allowed to access the internet.  So when running a leak test turn off Automatic Program Control and turn on Advanced Events Monitoring.

Bear in mind that while the Automatic Program Control does not block leak tests, it does block malicious programs that attempt to access the internet by using the tactics that are demonstrated in leak tests.  Therefore you are safe against such threats when using the firewall in APC mode.  In fact, you are actually safer since APC looks at all the particulars of every request for internet access to determine if there are any suspicious characteristics that would indicate that the action is malicious.

So when testing, disable APC.  But for everyday use, turn it back on.

Kudos0

Thank You the answer, i'll update to sp3. But i don't want to remove windows system files, only from NIS program component list. I rebooted computer, but NIS put again to his component list. NIS hopes am I malware? :D
Kudos0

Ready. Than You!
Kudos0

sebastian,

I think that I know what you are asking for.You can remove DLLs and other modules that are allowed by configuring Program Components as shown below.

Reese AnschultzSenior Software Quality Assurance Manager, Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Thanks your answer! Yes, that's it! I removed all time windows system dlls (choosing "remove software") but NIS put back again all windows system dll to program components. I don't know only in my os... (?)
Kudos0

Hello sebastian88

NIS 2011 is trying to protect your computer by preventing you from taking out windows files. It probably thinks that malware is trying to mess up your windows operating system.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NS 22.5.2.15 IE 11

Replies are locked for this thread.