• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

IE8 x64 Browser Protection using NIS2011

Hi,

I have been using NIS2011 without any problems on my Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Recently, I started using IE8 x64 and noticed that the Norton Toolbar isn't shown at the top of the browser, whereas with the IE8 x86 (32 bit) the Norton Toolbar is always visible.

I understand that the Norton Toolbar is not designed to be functional using IE8 x64. Does that imply that Browser Protection is not turned on and functional? Additional, does this mean that Anti-Phishing and Safe Web are also not turned on and functional?

In a nutshell : is NIS2011 protecting me if I choose to use IE8 x64?

Thanks,

Sol

Replies

Kudos3 Stats

Re: IE8 x64 Browser Protection using NIS2011

Hi Sol,

You will not have Norton's Anti-Phishing, Safe Web and Identity Safe functions in the 64-bit version of IE8. In other words: 64-bit IE is not protected by the NIS 2011 browser plug-ins. On the other hand, NIS 2011's general layer of protection, AutoProtect, is always active - but then again, it does not give you the extra of protection for 64-bit IE.. To be on the safe side as much as possible, you may want to use the 32-bit version of IE. In the meantime, you can add your vote for Norton support for the 64-bit version of IE over here:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Product-Ideas/Supporting-64-bit-browsers/idi-p/218310/page/2#comments

Your Norton Ladybug.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.