• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NIS 2011 slowing down Visual Studio 2010

Since installing NIS 2011, I have noticed that during many operations in Visual Studio 2010 (even something as simple as typing a line of code), I am seeing a lot of additional disk activity and considerable slowing down of Visual Studio - almost to the point where it is unusable. If I open the NIS control panel and disable the realtime Antivirus protection (which also disables the SONAR protection), the problem goes away completely. I have attempted to work around this problem by excluding from the SONAR and scanning that part of the folder hierarchy that includes the Visual Studio solution that I am working on but this does not seem to have any noticeable effect.

I did not see this problem when McAfee was installed on the same computer.

Anyone else seen this problem ? Any workarounds?

Thanks

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2011 slowing down Visual Studio 2010

Since installing NIS 2011, I have noticed that during many operations in Visual Studio 2010 (even something as simple as typing a line of code), I am seeing a lot of additional disk activity and considerable slowing down of Visual Studio - almost to the point where it is unusable. If I open the NIS control panel and disable the realtime Antivirus protection (which also disables the SONAR protection), the problem goes away completely. I have attempted to work around this problem by excluding from the SONAR and scanning that part of the folder hierarchy that includes the Visual Studio solution that I am working on but this does not seem to have any noticeable effect.

I did not see this problem when McAfee was installed on the same computer.

Anyone else seen this problem ? Any workarounds?

Thanks

Kudos0

I have not seen this but have you considered looking at the CPU usage via say Windows Task Manager when this happens. Cannot you identify the pID's that are using hight CPU?
Kudos0

Hello I_I100

Welcome to the Norton Community Forum

Before you installed NIS 2011, did you thoroughly remove McAfee using the control panel, reboot and then use the McAfee removal tool? If you didn't, it may have affected the install of NIS 2011. Do you have any other real time security programs installed now?

What operating system and service pack are you using and is it 32 or 64 bit please?

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.16.3.21 Core Firmware 270 I E 11 Chrome
Kudos0

That was one of the first things I did - looking for anything that may be consuming CPU cycles. As it happens, in the observed situations, the CPU usage is not very high even through the high disk activity (as "measured" from the disk activity light) correlates very well with the slowdown in VS.

I certainly could **not** correlate excessive CPU activity from ccSvcHst as shown in the Task Manager with the VS slowdown.

Thanks

Kudos0

I **did** use the McAfee removal tool to remove all traces of McAfee before installing NIS 2011.

I do **not** have any other security program running

This system  is running Window 7 Utlimate - 64-bit

Thanks

Kudos0

Hello l_l100

I just came across this article that says some patches just came out for Visual Studio 2010. Perhaps these patches will help with your problems.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/101510-microsoft-patches-visual-studio-menu.html

Please come back and let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.16.3.21 Core Firmware 270 I E 11 Chrome
Kudos0

I am seeing the same problem in VS2010, but with NAV2011 (not NIS2011).  It only appears to occur right after a file is saved, then the UI stutters annoyingly for about 20 seconds.  I can just open any source file and save it and then hold down the arrow to scroll downward and it sutters/pauses every few seconds.  Eventually it stops, but it is very annoying and makes using it a pain in the neck.  Disabling NAV resolves the issue and everything is smooth as can be.  This system was a clean install a few months ago and never had any other AV on it (except NAV2010, which I upgraded to NAV2011).

I am not seeing this kind of behavior in other software, seems to be very specific to VS2010.

Kudos0

Hello Crematum

Have you tried contacting Visual Studio and see if there are others having this problem? Perhaps it is a problem on their end of things. Thanks.

Kudos0

I'm seeing the exact same issue as the user who reported this issue (LJ100).

Kudos0

Hello to all that are having this  problem

Have you all kept your NET Framework up to date via Windows Updates and have they all been installed  and working correctly? I've done a quick skim thru of this article about it.and it's connection to Visual  Studio 2010. Perhaps it is the windows update that is causing the change in Visual Studio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework

Kudos0

My server is completely up-to-date, including the office updates that Microsoft pushed last Tuesday.

Kudos0

Hi mrkqql143, LJ100, and Crematum,

Please help us in gathering log files for this problem.

Here is how you can collect debug logs:

1) Visit the below site:

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080507162141EN

2) Make one change to the steps listed:

Step 2.6: Check all the advanced options

3) In the end, no files will be sent to Symantec automatically. You will be shown the location of the logs after you complete the form after hitting the "finish" button.

Please let me know once you have the log files. I will help you in uploading them.

Thanks!

Vineeth

Kudos0

Hi mrkqql143, LJ100, and Crematum,

It would be great if you can gather the log files and upload as requested by Vineeth. That will help us to identify the root cause of the problem. If you no longer face this problem, please let me know.

Thanks!

Sheen.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.