This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Solvusoft / WinThruster - download deleted by Norton 360

Hello,

I purchased WinThruster (and WinSweeper) from Solvusoft back in July. A month ago my WinThruster was not working properly so I contacted Solvusoft who provided me a link to download it again.  Once the WinThruster download is finished , Norton File Insight informs me that it has removed it as it is considered 'a threat  -- RegCleanPro'  (see below data copied from Norton File Insight clipboard).

For the three months that it was working properly , I thought it was doing a good job. So unsure why Norton considered this application as a threat ? I also do not understand how WinThruster and RegCleanPro could be related?

Do you think it is ok for me to restore the file and have it in my computer?

Thanks!

Phoebe.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Filename: winthruster_2014[1].exe
Threat name: RegCleanPro
Full Path: c:\users\.......  ( masked .. .. )

Details
Unknown Community Usage,  Unknown Age,  Risk High

Origin
Downloaded from
 http: //download.solvusoft.com/downloads/winthruster/WinThruster_2014.exe

Activity
Actions performed: Actions performed: 1

On computers as of 
Not Available

Last Used 
24/10/2014 at 10:37:01 a.m.

Startup Item 
No
Launched 
No

Unknown
It is unknown how many users in the Norton Community have used this file.

Unknown
This file release is currently not known.

High
This file risk is high.

Threat type: Misleading Application. Programs that report false or significantly misleading information on the presence of security risks, threats, or system issues on the target computer.

http: //download.solvusoft.com/downloads/winthruster/WinThruster_2014.exe

Downloaded File winthruster_2014[1].exe Threat name: RegCleanPro
 from solvusoft.com

Source: External Media

File Actions

File: c:\users\  (....masked...)   \appdata\local\microsoft\windows\temporary internet files\low\content.ie5\tbqqm10w\ winthruster_2014[1].exe Removed

File Thumbprint - SHA:
7414103b333e027b317b669b4d3d69980dbd78ffec53410524d3dd4ba324b5e3
File Thumbprint - MD5:
Not available

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Solvusoft / WinThruster - download deleted by Norton 360

Flagged as Offensive
Do not click on hyperlink

Kudos0

Hi, This program includes Additional file dropped into system, named RegCleanPro.dll . This is the relation between the software and regcleanpro. Please do not use reg cleaners if you dont know what it does.
regards, CV | There is no ONE TOUCH KEY to security . Be alert and vigilant. . | Always have a Backup Plan!
Kudos0

RegCleanPro

RegCleanPro is a misleading application that searches for potential problems on the computer.

Downloaded File v28o2mw1.exe.part Threat name: RegCleanPro from solvusoft.com

Kudos0

I am having the same issue - I downloaded the WinThruster and WinSweeper utilities back in April 2014 - then about a month ago WinThruster stopped working - the exe file disappeared.  I went round and round with Solvusoft - I was getting the same errors as above.  I asked for a refund - 2+ weeks passed and no refund.  I contacted Solvusoft again tonight and they came back and said after 90 days no refund.  So it appears I am out some $ and no solution.

Kudos0

Also they have some sort of yearly auto subscription renewal.  I am hoping they don't attempt to hit me up again.  this is totally frustrating.  I go to their live chat session and there is no response.  The first time I did this a month ago - I think I spent several hours on the chat session and got a response every 15 minutes or so - same with email.  I would suggest that pressure should be put on this Solvusoft company to fix this RegCleanPro issue.  If they cannot do that then there should be widespread publicity about this.  They appear to be making a lot of $ and continue to do so with their auto subscription renewal.  This is the last time I will ever use any third party software utility.

Kudos0

Hi, You may add an exception in the Norton settings . But it is very least recommended procedure and you will be responsible for that action. I suspect the vendor. Taking out the money from subscribers and keep their face turned away for silly reasons is not a feature of reputable company. Just my opinion.
regards, CV | There is no ONE TOUCH KEY to security . Be alert and vigilant. . | Always have a Backup Plan!
Kudos0

I actually emailed the Solvusoft Support Center on 8th October and they replied back to me within an hour and after a couple of emails they provided me with the link to download the WinThruster ('WT') application again as the one I purchased back in July has a 24 digit product key.

Prior to emailing them I went around on the internet and found a 'newer' WT version which now requires a 25 digit product key. Since it requires one more extra digit I was unable to use my purchased product key so I emailed them of this issue.

Back in July when I visited their webpage, I recalled seeing a logo 'Microsoft Trusted Partner' (or something along that line) hence I purchased WT - I thought it looks legit.

‘’http://www.solvusoft.com/en/winthruster/’’    - According to their website  WT has a 'Norton Certification' (bottom right hand side).

I paid USD$39.99  for WinThruster ('WT') and also get a free WinSweeper ('WS') for  a one year subscription. So in summary are WT and WS  not a 'safe' application to have on your computer? Now I feel like I have wasted my money. Does Norton have an application for a similar function - Norton Utilities?

@ kstolte: I think you can disable the automatic renewal by logging in into your account and untick that option.

Thanks all for your opinion in advance.

Kudos0

Hi, Take right decision towards the end of the subscription. If you are okay with them and find the tools useful, renew annually. Else search for a replacement. Ccleaner and Norton Utilities are good to be checked. But before buying, do a thorough research online and among friends. That will save you from trouble in future.
Kudos0

Thank you all for your input.  I have asked Solvusoft / WinThruster to stop the automatic renewal.  I was able to check my so-called account and it shows 0 subscriptions.  Even after I told the representative the issue, they came back with turning off Norton.  They did not address my question.  Based on this experience and loss of $, I would highly NOT recommend anyone using this software.  The only way to put a dent into this company is to get the word out. 

The solution has a double edge - turn off NORTON or take a $ loss and remove any remnants of the Solvusoft WinThruster / WinSweeper software.  Perhaps a bit of massive pressure on this company will take these products off the market and / or at least provide the user market exposure to the risks involved.  The catch here too, is that it is a subscription service.  You will end up paying for the software year after year - there is no $ benefits. 

Kudos0

Thank you all for your advice and input.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.