• Toute la Communauté
    • Toute la Communauté
    • Forums
    • Idées
    • Blogs
Avancé

Pas ce que vous cherchiez ? Demandez aux experts !

Remerciements0

Macintosh issues with Norton Online Family

1- Running Mac OS Lion 7.0.1 on all machines MacPro2, iMac, MacBook Pro

2- Web browsers are Safari 5.1 and Firefox 6.02

3- User accounts for my 4 children are all Standard

4- Norton Safety Minder 2.1

The only reporting that works is Login and Log out.

Web Activity, Search Activity, etc. do not report under the tabs. I have EVERYTHING turned on for reporting.

5 user accounts and all behave the same.

Réponses

Remerciements0

Re: Macintosh issues with Norton Online Family

Katie

Yes, the profile is turned on (just the same as the PC which it works for).

No there is no other parental control monitoring software.  I haven't checked the box next to the kid's accounts for parental control monitoring.

Darren

Remerciements0

Same here - I have turned-off the Mac's parental controls.

Remerciements0

Just to add...

I am getting alerts both sent to me and if I go into my NOF in the alerts log.  The problem is that it isn't blocking it on the mac even though I am getting the alert.

Remerciements0

This is one area my issue is different from Darren's - I don't even see the attempt to access inappropriate sites being logged online - it's as if it's not doing a thing on my Mac.  Again, this works perfectly on my pc.

Remerciements0

Hi dastewart and blag,

Thanks for the updatePlease make sure that the browser extension is actually activatedTo verify if that is the caseyou need to click on the Tools item on the top menu bar, go to add-ons, then click on the extensions  item on the left hand side of the screen.  You should see a Norton Safety Minder 2.2. or 2.1 item in there.  If it has a button next to the Norton Safety Minder saying enable, you need to click thatIf it says Disable, you need to click enable and then restart firefox.

Please try the following if above doesn't work.

1. Uninstall NSM on the Mac. Restart the machine.
  2. Go to the website, under Settings->Profile, and remove the machine that NSM was just uninstalled from.
  3. Download and re-install NSM on that machine.

Thanks,

Katie

Thanks Katie
Remerciements0

Katie,

That was it!  FireFox just didn't have the SafetyMinder extension enabled by default.  I'm not sure why it just wouldn't automatically enable it for all users upon installation, but it did fix my issue.  Now, the question is there a way to prevent my kids from disabling this extension?

BTW, I saw some other posts about how to disable Safari so the kids can't use it.  What I found is that you CAN enable Parental Controls and still have NOF work on the Mac - Just choose to "Allow unrestricted access to websites" on the "web" tab.  Then on the "Apps" tab, you can give your kids access to all programs except for Safari (this way they can't get to Safari and get unlimited access to the internet).  Works great.

Lastly, is there a way to have NOF monitor the guest account on a Mac?  It does for my pc, but doesn't appear to be an option for that on my Mac.

Thanks for your help, Katie!

Remerciements0

Browse extension is activated.

I re-installed NSM (again) just to be absolutely sure but the problem is still there.

However, interestingly, I did discover something while playing about with it and this is true both before and after I re-installed it.

If I go into one of the kids accounts then NSM doesn't block the websites.  But if I use the Norton Quick Menu to de-activate NSM and then go back and re-activate it using the quick menu it starts working.

If I log out and log in again then stops working (unless I de-activate NSM and re-activate it again).

I think the software is flaky and I'm wondering if I have to upgrade my OS to get it working because I'm going round in circles here.

Remerciements0

dastewart,

Can you also please reset the Web Settings?  For example, select option "Monitor only (All Web blocking turned off)", then Save the change, then select option "Block the site", then Save the change again to see if these help.  Just in case the house rules are not saved correctly somehowAlso, add a few websites to the allowed and blocked list, then later remove them and save the change.

Thanks,

Katie

Thanks Katie
Remerciements0

blag,

Thanks for the updateI'm very glad to hear it works for you nowIf a child disables the Norton Safety Minder extension, the program sends an alert to the parent warning the extension is disabled.

The Mac version of NOF currently doesn't support Guest accountIf you wish not to display the Guest User account at the login screen to prevent children from getting around NOF, here is an article with some tips:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20119806-263/os-x-10.7.2-with-icloud-showing-guest-user-account-at-log-in/

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Thanks,

Katie

Thanks Katie
Remerciements0

Thanks again, Katie. one last question: I noticed that NOF now works on Android devices - so, is the reason it's not on iOS devices yet is because Norton doesn't have NOF working on Safari yet (and once it is working on Safari, you will offer NOF for iOS devices, like iPhone and iPad)?
Remerciements0

Katie

I tried what you suggested and it didn't make any difference.

However, I've played about with a bit this weekend and I've discovered the following...

There are 3 accounts on the mac: my wife which is not protected by NSM and 2 kids accounts.  If I turn the computer on and go into one of the kids accounts then it doesn't block any sites.

However.

If I do *anything* related to NSM on any of the accounts then it starts working.  For example, if I de-activate and re-active the add-on in Firefox (on any accounts) then NSM starts working. 

Even if I simply click the Norton Quick Menu but don't select any of the options in the menu, in any account, then NSM starts working.  So, just to be clear, it doesn't block any sites when I start the computer up but if I just click the Norton Quick Menu icon to bring up the menu but don't click any option, i.e. I've simply clicked the icon in the taskbar, then NSM starts working on all accounts.

Please don't ask me to re-install it (I've done it three times now) but clearly something isn't initialising correctly when the mac boots up. 

PS When it does block a website it comes up with a URL which starts with "chrome".  I assume that's normal but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Any ideas?

Remerciements0

dastewart,

Thanks for the update.  I talked with the NOF Mac team about the issue and they checked into this.  Unfortunately the development team and Quality Assurance team haven't been able to reproduce the issue on their end so far.  They are currently working on a new release and we hope the upcoming update will help you not experience the issue anymore.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Thanks,

Katie

Thanks Katie

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.