• Toute la Communauté
    • Toute la Communauté
    • Forums
    • Idées
    • Blogs
Avancé

Pas ce que vous cherchiez ? Demandez aux experts !

Remerciements16 Stats

Wifi Network Compromised messages

Hi 

Have been receiving Compromised Network Message on my android phones since morning. I saw the thread on this topic that is now closed. Was Norton able to provide a solution? Logging onto the router only shows known clients. 

Réponses

Remerciements1 Stats

Re: Wifi Network Compromised messages

Thanks Gayathri I have updated my app and everything seems to be ok.

Remerciements1 Stats

Thank you Brian.  It worked

Remerciements0

Just started this morning on both my android smartphones but not on my PC's, Can anyone help is there a problem with the last Norton mobile update or is this just a sales gimmick on Norton side to push their WiFi privacy it's just funny they give you no details but they've added a link to their WiFi privacy? or is is my sales manager mind.
Remerciements1 Stats

Updated all Android devices this morning and the false positive has disappeared.

Remerciements1 Stats

This was widespread yesterday on Android devices.  Norton's released an update over night.  Update and restart your phone; that should fix it.

Remerciements0

Agree. There should be a better way to communicate. After searching and searching the Norton site, happened to notice this: "We are currently experiencing an issue with the WiFi Security feature of Norton Security for Android. Please check the feature again after 24 hours."  24 hours? what does that mean? Should be more meaningful info and easier to find when you first log in.  After that I found the forums and again, search and search, I find that I should update my Norton App on Google Play.  I have done that and restarted my Galaxy phone and now it appears the message has gone away. Why couldn't that instruction have been included on the notification quoted above?  What a waste of time this morning.

Remerciements0

It’s too bad that you had to find out in a chat session, as there has been no post by Norton.  Our two phones started this last night (March 27), and, initially, the 5G was “compromised”.  After a few minutes, the 2G band was listed.  Since my neighbors can’t get a good signal, due to distance, I doubt they are the culprit.  Plus, this is a small town, and I know all of them.

Remerciements2 Stats

Just to add my pennyworth from Northern Ireland - I was appalled to see the red warning on my Samsung Galaxy A5 this morning.  It seemed odd that such a warning gave no solid advice as to what my options were and indeed it was the option to "ignore for now" that made me somewhat suspicious as  to the validity of the notice.  However, not being well versed in these matters I switched my phone off, booted my computer (which also runs Norton Internet Security on the same home network as the phone is connected to) but saw that there were no warnings of any problems. I also checked my home network and saw that there were no unrecognised devices connected.   So, cynic that I am, I thought Norton was trying to lure me into signing up for the VPN thingy. 

I am glad that I did a search in the Community and quickly found that the problem was widespread, and very relieved to discover that a fix had been issued.  When I applied the update to Norton Mobile Security app on my Galaxy A5 - the red warning disappeared and I can relax again.

This Community is an excellent facility - must use it more often!!

ML

Remerciements1 Stats

Found notice at the top of this forum <https://community.norton.com/en/forums/nms-wifi-security-network-comprom... says that problem is fixed with new release this morning Build number 4.1.0.4063. Downloaded and installed. Entered Norton Mobile Security, list of features still had W-Fi Security in RED. Touch Wi-Fi Security initiates a new scan of your currently connected Wi-Fi network which completes and turns everything GREEN. Looks like they did fix it in just a few hours. Thanks Norton for this fast response.

Remerciements0

Well, I just checked and I'm still getting the same problem.

Remerciements0

Yes, just a few hours - about the amount of time I spent troubleshooting, and will have to spend reconnecting all my devices to WiFi after I changed the SSID.

Thanks, Norton, for the extensive QA you must have performed before sending out whatever patch caused thousands of people to drop everything and respond to a non-existent threat. Not to mention the tech support lines that had that problem, multiplied by their own thousands of users. And, as far as I've read, no apologies to your users.

You sure are helping me decide whether to renew my Norton subscription the next time it comes up.

Remerciements1 Stats

Just checked my mobile again and this time I noticed Norton Mobile Security just updated.  After rescanning and then clicking on wifi - finally all is green .  That was the longest 12 hours of my life!  Thanks for fixing this.  I'm glad I didn't run around resetting and unplugging everything like some did.  An email about a false positive and not to worry would have been nice!

Remerciements11 Stats

Hi again, Everyone!

After updating via Google Play to 4063, you'll need to re-run the WiFi Security scan (pull to scan on the WiFi page).  This will update and the false positive will be gone (SSL decrypting).

As I've mentioned before, this was 100% NOT designed as a money grab for our VPN service.  It was very much a defect in the product that caused this, and we drove it to conclusion last night.

I sincerely apologize to everyone this affected.  That was a nasty message, and it caused me panic with my home network as well.

I'd like to thank everyone who added to the discussion here and in other threads, and even more specifically...anyone who helped another by providing advice about the issue or the fix.  I saw a lot of posts where those in the community were helping each other, and that is worthy of applaud!

Have a great day wherever you may be! 

Regards,

-Brian

Remerciements2 Stats

Thanks to both Lucky 13 and Gayathri.  Norton Mobile Security Update installed, re-scanned and all is good.

Remerciements1 Stats

Thanks, late night for me last night.  Situation appears corrected.  Just one note, when connecting to one of my networks, Norton will still indicate that my other network was compromised 11 hours ago. When I go to that network, it connects fine no error. So this looks like a log entry.

Pat

Remerciements3 Stats

Just updated Norton restarted phones and all is well glad I didn't spend much time on this. Surely updates should be checked before sending out if it was a previous update that caused the problem. I suppose Norton is not the only company that does this. Give Norton credit in my case it only took 7 hours to solve the issue.
Remerciements1 Stats

Updated my app this morning and reran the Wi-Fi network and I'm back to green
Remerciements1 Stats

I had the same problem today what I did was to update Norton on Google play then did a restart on phone did a new scan on Norton and it give the WiFi a 100% secure hope this works for you if you have not sorted it yet
Remerciements6 Stats

Thanks for the updates, Brian. It didn't really help me as after hours of frantic searching and problem-solving, I had concluded it was an issue with Norton's software and ignored it. Also, sleep was required. 

Honestly, your response was fine (if too late to help me), but Norton as a whole did a terrible job of managing this. You've had a lot of customers lose faith in you as a company because you were exposed as unprepared, and unresponsive. You didn't have the tools and processes in place to ensure that 

1. Something like this wouldn't happen
  2. When it did happen in December, you didn't learn from it
  3. You weren't proactive about keeping your customers informed
  4. Your personnel weren't prepared to respond
  5. No corporate acknowledgement of the issue happened
  6. You left your customers in panicked states of confusion because you didn't communicate

You can say that emails and message center wouldn't have been good options, but that's garbage. It would have been easy to send a message out. I get fear-mongering, money-grabbing messages in email and message center-form on a regular basis. "Orbitz had an attack, are you covered? Upgrade to our better version." "New phishing attacks, are you prepared? Upgrade!" I get those all the time. Most of your official web materials are just ads for your products. 

I believe that you believe that this was not a money-grab, but based on Norton's history, there's no doubt in my mind that it was. Norton fear-markets constantly to its current customers. This is just another level of that. As a result, I've now lost faith that your alerts are correct. Will I even listen when you tell me something is wrong? Maybe not. You've lost credibility. 

I ignore the marketing emails because I've believed that Norton was a good company that cared about security and was keeping me safe. Now that you're not doing that, what is the reason for being your customer? 

I still haven't seen an official apology from Norton OR a message on what you're going to do to make it right to all the customers who were affected and went through hours of anxiety, frustration, and fear as a direct result of your company's mistakes, compounded by its ineptitude. What is Norton going to do to make this right? 

You've lost my trust. Are you even going to try to get it back? Will you do the right thing?

Remerciements1 Stats

ok that worked, lifes good again. tile next time.

Remerciements1 Stats

I updated the app and am no longer getting new messages.  But Norton WiFi Security page still showed that the site was compromised a few hours ago.  These logs ever going away?

Remerciements0

Next time this "program" said "you have a virus" or "network compromised " is logical I think "well this is a bug in the norton, I don't need to worry about".

like Jack Green said LOOK IT'S A WOLF!!

So I ask to "why do I need this program? and pay for him, if he is useless?".

After the license end (or probably before) I will change to another program or better I will use none, is cheaper.

I ask, who will pay me for the 2 days I expended searching the problem in my network? Norton? kkkk

Remerciements0

Just updated to 4.1.0.4063 and the problem is resolved, thank you!
Remerciements1 Stats

Hello Brian,

Thank you for this solution which at this time seems to be working.  Since taking most of my night resecuring my network with new password that took me quite a few hours to set up all that is connected to the network and it was still not secure per this message.  As I was quite upset I did subscribe to the WiFi Security trial period.  The message did make me feel like I was being held hostage and it was forcing me to do this or all my information would be taken.  I have been a Norton fan since it came out and have always trusted it but I will say that I am wavering a little.  There should be more solutions then just to purchase something on a message like that.  I am canceling the WiFi security as I don't need it when I am on my secure network.  I do believe that if I traveled often it would be a good thing to have if using unsecured networks available at hotels or airports but I am a homebody and only on my network.  

Remerciements1 Stats

Me too.  I get "[router] is compromised.  Your personal data and communications are exposed to an attacker on this network" on phones but not on computers, all running on the same wireless router.  My first thought was Norton was trying to induce me to buy the Norton Core wireless router, which is conveniently advertised on the page where I am writing this.  Not happening.

Remerciements0

Latest update fixes this issue, run update.
Remerciements1 Stats

After reading a good portion of this tread, it's pretty obvious to me that this is a marketing gimmick in an effort to sell Norton's FTP product.  I've been a Norton customer for at least 2 decades.  The number of popups I'm receiving is ridiculous (both this one and about PC based features I don't want to use).  I didn't buy Norton Security to be constantly bombarded with marketing attacks.  I'll be looking to an alternative provider when my subscription is up for renewal.

Remerciements0

delete

Remerciements0

Oldbiker: "Latest update fixes this issue, run update."

My phones' update "centers" alleges that all apps are up to date.  I could not find an update option within Norton Mobile Security itself either.  How to do it?

Remerciements0

Yep, downloaded the update and now everything is fine again.  Used the chat facility in Norton SUpport and got an answer straight away.  Phew, blood pressure reducing....

Remerciements0

I just updated to build 4.1.0.4061 within the app and the problem persists. My Android is in French, don't know whether that's an issue with respect to the release which is supposed to fix it. Grrrrr.

Update : updated the app from the Play Store as well and all is fine now ! 

Remerciements1 Stats

I didn't need to update Android.  Just went to to google store, found the Norton app, and updated it.  Took a couple of minutes, and so far, so good......   Good luck!

Remerciements0

WiFi Compromised Alert Coming up on my Samsung S7 .   

I just started experiencing the same issue on  my Samsung S7 I have no other issues reported on my laptops or desktop computers so It must be a glitch.  When I click on the "more" option, I see the following...

SSL Decrypting

An attacker is attempting to decrypt this
network and may view and alter your
communications.

Hope it is fixed soon

Remerciements1 Stats

Update the app from the Play Store, then run the wifi scan from the app and everything will be green again.

Remerciements1 Stats

In other words, they have to come up with a better way to scare you into buying their WiFi Privacy product. Being a black hat, I figured this was nothing more than a badly thought out fear campaign to force people to buy their software. I say this because EVERY network my phone joins produces the same compromised warning including those belonging to some government agencies that I know are beyond secure. Norton seriously needs to go back to being the company Peter founded instead of just another solely for profit with no regards for quality or ethics tech company. Hey Norton, this sales tactic is a massive fail. Do not pull it again. STOP RELEASING SOFTWARE THAT HAS NOT BEEN THOROUGHLY TESTED!!!! 

Remerciements1 Stats

What a waste of time last night was!  Thanks for the update and solution! 

Remerciements1 Stats

Norton, Next time just send us an email and tell us what's going on OK?  Me, having to go research it online to see if my network was us actually under attack is not cool....

Remerciements0

Have used Norton for many years, contacted my ISP within a few hours of not being able to resolve this problem which is Sky Broadband as I couldn't quite understand what was going on they did actually say I should contact Norton as they feel it's an issue with their software and several devices showing up the same warning accept my Windows computer didn't seem to show it up not very happy about the way they have not responded especially when they're not giving this software away for nothing you have to pay an as lots of others have stated why did they not email I think they're just trying to keep this quiet as it's not very good if it was in the media what they have blatantly not bothered to put right quickly.

Remerciements0

since yesterday until now I face the same issue with only android devices (Galaxy A7 & Galaxy S8) in the same home network with the following message that get every where in other local home networks, in addition I see that my windows desktop and iOS devices is still doing well

I hope get the fast time from Symantec to fix this issue

Remerciements0

I also was in panic mode and downloaded Norton VPN on 7 day trial.  Anyone know how to remove the trial?  I can see the subscription in my account, but don't see how to cancel the service.  Am I going to be charged in 7 days?  What a fiasco!!

Remerciements0

This is for an android if you have IPhone I'm not sure.  Go to your Google play store and then to manage subscriptions. You should see it there with an option to cancel it.  I hope this helps.  

Remerciements0

michael henry

You can also contact Norton Support  and have them cancel the trial subscription.   www.norton.com/contactcs

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Remerciements1 Stats

The updated version is available on google play. Thank you all for prioritizing this thread. 

Remerciements0

Thanks, Brian! The update cleared the false positive and now I can cancel the Red Alert since I don't actually have a Core breach! :)
Remerciements0

Apparently there was a bug. Norton made an update to the Android app. Updating your app will fix the issue.
Remerciements0

Sorry, I should have said VPN product, not FTP.

Remerciements0

So I also received this alert and updated my routers firmware, reset new passwords and basically gave it a completely fresh start and right away same message appeared from Norton, So yeah i'm sure it's a bug but after the pop ups from Norton, completely destroying Identity safe and now wasting my time having to do this I am wondering about the direction this company is heading.

It's really poor service!

Remerciements0

My wifi is compromised red alert notification has been fixed with the update but it still shows system advisor as risks found 65% KRACK and no fix for this what do I need to do because it is on my mobile and my husbands Norton also - is this another bug or part of the same one
Remerciements1 Stats

KRACK is something that needs to be fixed by your phones manufacturer, check in your phones settings to see if there are any security updates. Odds are some older phones more than 12 or 24 months old may never get fixed because companies would rather you just bought a new phone than bother to fix issues for older devices. If they haven't bothered to fix it maybe don't buy from that maker in the future as they clearly don't care.

This doesn't mean you are infected with anything though, it's a security hole that can compromise network traffic.

Remerciements0

I have an HTC One M9  and the security patch level dated 1 Oct 2016 and Android version 6.

When I emailed HTC that didn't know what KRACK is??!!  So not excepting an update anytime soon.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.