• Toute la Communauté
    • Toute la Communauté
    • Forums
    • Idées
    • Blogs
Avancé

Pas ce que vous cherchiez ? Demandez aux experts !

Remerciements0

Upgraded to W-10; Cannot upgrade or uninstall Norton Security

I have been running Norton Security for years. I received it through my ISP, Comcast. This week, I upgraded my system to Windows 10 Pro. I received a message recommending upgrade of Norton Security. I downloaded the installer but after getting permission to run, it only goes for about 3 seconds and disappears. It leaves a Norton icon on the desktop but that doesn't appear to do anything. The upgrade reminder pops up about every 15 minutes but doesn't seem to do anything when I click on the NEXT button. Sometimes it displays a message popup that gives error code "8504, 100". Sometimes it says another installer is running.  I downloaded the uninstall tool as advised, but it says it can't find Norton Security. However, there are 3 Norton Security tasks running and there are plenty of files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Security Suite\Engine64\22.5.2.15. On the other hand, there is no entry in the Programs and Features section of the Control Panel for Norton so I can't do an uninstall. It looks like I'm stuck. I can neither install nor uninstall Norton Security. It looks like I'll need to manually uninstall the files (and --shudder-- the registry entries), is that right? This has been going on for 3 days.

Can I get some assistance on this?

Thanks.

Thématiques: Windows 10

Réponses

Remerciements0

Re: Upgraded to W-10; Cannot upgrade or uninstall Norton Security

Hello

Can you please try this KB.? Since you have NSS, please read the Light Bulb Announcement first.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v62545589_EndUserProfile_en_us

Please come back and let us know if this has helped you. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Remerciements0

This does not solve the problem. As indicated in the original post, the uninstall tool does not work because it doesn't detect NS being installed. I may have botched an earlier uninstall, but as it stands now I cannot install or uninstall.

Thanks.

Remerciements0

Hi SNewman,

Please go to the following URL on the COMCAST Forum - there is info pertaining to your situation with the popup - pay particular attention to the EDIT.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/Norton-Popup-re-Latest-Version-for-Win-10-Compatibility/m-p/2574395#U2574395

Remerciements0

Thanks for the info. It stopped the spash screen. However, the biggest problems still exist:

1. The uninstall tool thinks NS is not installed and there is no Norton product in "Programs and Features". So even though plenty of NS software is on my system, I can't upgrade or uninstall it.

2. Neither the install or upgrade will work. They think another installation is running.

How can I get NS reinstalled under W10?

Thanks.

Remerciements1 Stats

@SNewman, Please try running the Norton Remove Tool : Norton.com/NRT and see if that works with uninstallation.

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Remerciements0

Hello

Is there a Safe mode in Win 10? If there is one, perhaps you can kill something from misconfig having to do with NSS and/or any Services having to do with NSS. Perhaps you can use CCleaner to clean out NSS from Win 10, that is if that program works with Win 10..

It/s difficult for programs to keep up with a brand new O/P getting updated continuously and being given out in a new way. There is bound to be issues with Win 10 and with all programs that have to keep up with a new continuously evolving program.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Remerciements0

Perhaps even if the NRT does not work as Sunil suggested, you  may be able to download NSS from this link:  http://www.norton.com/nss

Just spotted floplot's mention of services on my Win 7 system with NSS v 22.5.2.15 running, there is a N360 Service and also a NOBU service running.

Remerciements0

Hello Sunil

The user states that he

I downloaded the uninstall tool as advised, but it says it can't find Norton Security

so he says the NRT doesn't work since it can't find NSS.

@Sunil_GA

Accepted Solution
Remerciements0

The problem is solved. I was confusing the Norton Removal Tool with the Norton Repair Tool. Once I ran the correct removal tool, it completed successfully. I am now up and running again on Windows 10.

Thanks to all who offered advice.

Remerciements0

Thanks to all who offered advice.. The problem is fixed.

Remerciements0

Hello SNewman 

Glad to hear that you got your tools straight and were able to successfully fix your issue. Admin Sunil was correct to offer the correct tool to you. We should have listed sites for both tools as they can get confused easily. Thanks for marking the thread as solved since that helps others with the Search feature in the Forum.

Remerciements0

Actually floplot, you provided the correct tool by highlighting the Light Bulb which states:

"If you have received your Norton product from your service provider, skip this step, and run the Norton Removal Tool."

Remerciements0

Hello yank

So I did, way back on the 2nd post on this thread. Thank you for pointing that out to me. It looks like the O/P missed the light bulb and got confused with the names of the different tools. It looks like he should have tried the Tool back then, just to see if it would work regardless of the name.

Thanks.

Remerciements0

I was hitting the same issues, Windows 7 Pro to WIndows 10 Pro.  Afterwards Norton 360 wouldn't launch. No error - nothing.  

After much trial and error I finally found this post and finally got it sorted. 

I now have it down to fine art. One I'd rather not have to do.  

When I lose 360, I:

Sign into my Norton account.

Remove the PC from my subscription. 

Run the Norton Removal Tool (NOT the RnR one).

Reboot and sign into my Norton account.

Add the PC once more and download and reinstall 360.

This works... for a few days and then Windows issues a new update (I assume) and I lose Norton again.  At present I think I'm up to my seventh or eighth re-installation.  To say it's getting a little tiresome is an understatement.  The good news is that I've done it so often now that I've got it down pat.

Remerciements0

Hello Daniel

Have you turned off Fast Startup? Norton and many other programs need Norton to shut down and bootup correctly.

Here is a link for turning off Fast Startup in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html 

After doing this, please shut down your computer. Then boot up and see if you still this issue.

Hope it helps.

Please come back and let us know how you made out.

Thanks.

Remerciements0

Really, do I have to do all this? I am not very good at computing. Just want to use Norton along with W-10. Is there a fix? Do I need Norton if I have Edge? Should I cancel Norton and use Microsoft Edge instead?

Remerciements0

Hello Edith

Edge is a new browser in Win  10. Norton is a security program. Norton will not work with Edge because Microsoft has not allowed the use of extension on Edge. Win 10 still has IE 11 and it has Chrome also if you install Chrome. It would also work with Firefox, but the toolbar is currently under reconstruction.

I would not cancel Norton and I would not use Edge browser yet since you can't do very much with it yet. Please tell us what Norton product you have and we can help you to get it installed.

Thanks.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.