• Toute la Communauté
    • Toute la Communauté
    • Forums
    • Idées
    • Blogs
Avancé

Pas ce que vous cherchiez ? Demandez aux experts !

Ce sujet a besoin d'une solution.
Remerciements0

Problems with Norton Security Toolbar and Google Chrome

I have several annoying problems with Norton Security Toolbar (2018.14.1.172) and Google Chrome (66.0.3359.181, 64 bit), running Windows 10 (64 bit, version 1803, build 17134.48):

1. Many web pages fail to completely load.
  2. The CPU and memory consumption of the Toolbar are often pretty significant.
  3. Some JavaScript applications don’t work properly with the Toolbar enabled.

The same problems occurred with many previous versions of the Toolbar and Chrome; I only recently determined that the Toolbar was the cause.

The first two issues are adequately described in https://community.norton.com/en/forums/issues-norton-security-toolbar-extension-chrome.

The third issue is additional; I noticed it running http://www.largeformatphotography.info/sunmooncalc/.  The application has several child forms that load values saved in the main form; after the Toolbar has been enabled for a while, the child forms fail to open when the appropriate buttons are clicked.  Diagnostics from the Chrome console are nonsense, complaining about undefined objects that are clearly defined in the code.

I’ve had problems with logins and features of some other sites; I haven’t attempted diagnostics.

In all cases, disabling the Toolbar and refreshing affected pages eliminates the problems.

In a sense, there is a workaround: leave the Toolbar disabled until it’s really needed, then enable it for as long as it’s needed, and again disable it.  But this is pretty clunky; it seems to me it shouldn’t be necessary.

Réponses

Remerciements0

Re: Problems with Norton Security Toolbar and Google Chrome

Hello Jeff. This thread I believe will answer a lot of your concerns about the current version of chrome you are using. The link you posted was in reference to several builds of Chrome past. The current Norton chrome extension is a "tool bar less" entity in its current form. In keeping with tech that Chrome itself will be removing in the not do distance future.

In that regard, I also believe your browsing issues are the result of Chrome itself as described in this article. I too have Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, version 1803, build 17134.48 and use Chrome occasionally without any issues. Version 66.0.3359.181 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Cheers

Retired military (Navy 1980-2002) "From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1809 / build 17763.194 / NSBU 22.16.2.22 / Norton Core v.270 on Android
Remerciements0

Re: Problems with Norton Security Toolbar and Google Chrome

SoulAssylum, I realize that the link is to an earlier version of Chrome, but the problems seem to be the same.

The current Norton chrome extension is a "tool bar less" entity in its current form.

Seems to depend on the extension ...  at least on my system, Safe Web (sorry I didn’t specifically mention this) is only available on the Toolbar. I tried a complete R&R and LiveUpdate, but ended up with what I had before. I note that with Firefox, Safe Web is “toolbarless,” and I don’t seem to have any problems. Whether that is the difference I cannot say.

I doubt the browsing issues are related to Chrome itself. Were that the case, I don’t see how disabling the Toolbar would eliminate the problem. The current implementation is doing something that interferes with the running of the script. The Toolbar adds a large number of JavaScript files to the application sources; I have neither the time nor the inclination to debug the process. What’s strange is that with the Toolbar enabled, things work fine for a couple of hours. Disabling the Toolbar and refreshing the page fixes the problem; if the Toolbar is then re-enabled, the process repeats in a couple of hours.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.