• Toute la Communauté
    • Toute la Communauté
    • Forums
    • Idées
    • Blogs
Avancé

Pas ce que vous cherchiez ? Demandez aux experts !

Ce sujet a besoin d'une solution.
Remerciements0

Patch doesn't apply when told to apply now "OR" later

So I know from searching Google that I am not the only one experiencing this issue! So I used the Norton Removal and Reinstall tool in hopes that it would correct the problem but to no avail. You would think that Norton/Symantec would have fixed this problem by now. When the Norton Removal and Reinstall Tool is done the software version shown is 22.16.2.22. Then when you click on Live Update it does about a 150mb download of updates. It then informs you that a patch is available and when you click on "Apply Now" it works. Then the software version shown is 22.16.3.21. When you do another Live Update you are told again that there is a patch available. It doesn't matter if you chose to apply now or later. It doesn't apply! The same message about keeps appearing when running Live Update. There is a patch available but it never applies! Anyone know why? Why hasn't Norton/Symantec fixed this? Thanks, Tom

Réponses

Remerciements0

Re: Patch doesn't apply when told to apply now "OR" later

Did you restart your computer between the first patch and the second? We always suggest restating your computer after a patch is received to ensure that Norton has been fully updated. Norton has been including this message with all patch updates lately.

You may need to run LiveUpdate and reboot a few times before your product is completely updated to the latest version.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Remerciements0

This problem was there before with the version 12.16.3.21.  And yes I would reboot but that would not fix it. And I never leave my computer on when I am not using it. Then I ran the Norton Removal and Reinstall Tool and it installs version 12.16.22 which works on the 1st time applying a patch which then updates the version to 12.16.3.21 again. That is why I tried reinstalling. It never applied when I would choose apply now or later with version 12.16.3.21. Norton needs to fix this. When you Google it, it has happened to a lot of people.

Remerciements0

That is why I tried reinstalling. It never applied when I would choose apply now or later with version 12.16.3.21.

I just had a thought on this comment. Are you expecting a version number change with the second patch? There is no version number change with the second patch. It may be just completing the update to all the Norton files. That is why the comment from the product announcement that I quoted above... 

"You may need to run LiveUpdate and reboot a few times before your product is completely updated to the latest version."

Remerciements0

Hello

I have noticed that patches get applied easier when you choose Apply Later and restart  at your leisure. Also, make sure you are using a Windows Admin. Account to do the updating and applying patches..

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 270 I E 11 Chrome latest one
Remerciements0

No, I am not expecting a version change. But usually when an d update happens with a patch the version is newer. It does not help to keep doing Live Update over and over again. The patch does not apply at all with the version 121.16.3.21. And yes I am "Admin"

Remerciements0

It doesn't matter when if you click on apply later or apply now. It is the version 12.16.3.21. Norton/Symantec needs to fix this.

Remerciements0

TomBat:

No, I am not expecting a version change. But usually when an d update happens with a patch the version is newer. It does not help to keep doing Live Update over and over again. The patch does not apply at all with the version 121.16.3.21. And yes I am "Admin"

Maybe we are talking semantics here. You say you do not expect a version change, then you note that with "a patch the version is newer". So to me this sounds like you are expecting a new version number.

How are you determining that the second patch is not applying? When you click on Apply Now, does it appear that the patch is being processed? 

Remerciements0

I am saying that I know that just because an update or a patch happens , it doesn't always mean a newer version. I am saying that when I do a removal and reinstall that the version is an older one. Then the 1st time Live update is run, the patch available works which installs the newer version and then the same problem happens again I was facing before the removal and reinstall. The patch doesn't apply. I am "determining" that the "patches" don't apply because "nothing happens. I know that when a "patch" does apply that, when working properly, a computer will shut down and restart. I have been using only Norton for my antivirus software ever since I started buying computers 23 years ago and I know the characteristics of Norton and how it is supposed to function. Their support in this particular matter doesn't know how to fix this problem. A lot of people are experiencing it. Norton/Symantec needs to fix this.

Remerciements0

The patch doesn't apply. I am "determining" that the "patches" don't apply because "nothing happens. I know that when a "patch" does apply that, when working properly, a computer will shut down and restart.

Your computer will not shut down after a Norton Patch. It is recommended to do a restart, but it will not automatically restart your system. 

When you clicked the Apply Now button when doing the second patch, did another window pop up?

Remerciements0

@TomBat

Sorry for the interurption, but you stated:

"I am saying that when I do a removal and reinstall that the version is an older one. Then the 1st time Live update is run, the patch available works which installs the newer version...."

Running the remove and reinstall tool installs the latest "known good version" of  Norton.  In other words, if there is an update to a newer version that has been released in a phased masnner (as most updates are) that latest update will not be installed as part of the tool.  Once the newest update has been verified and is "known good" it will be the version that is used by remove and reinstall - but will not be used prior to it being tagged as "known good".  Simply,  running the remove and reinstall will install the "older known good version" and then LiveUpdate will run and patch it to the newest version.  Any subsequant run of LiveUpdate usually just provides minor changes that are neeeded to make sure the latest version works.  Thus what you stated above is correct and they wqy thing are supposed to work.

Maybe I missed it, but what is your operating system?  If WIN 8 or 10 do have have Fast Start disabled?

When you Apply Patch Now and you have a browser opened, does Norton tell you that you need to close that browser prior to applying the Patch, and once you do close it, Norton shoould tell you it is applying the Patch - are you seeing this?

Remerciements0

I am running Windows 8.1 and yes sometimes when a patch is available and you click on apply now, a computer will shut down and restart. When I did the removal and reinstall tool, it did install an older version. The version numbers speak for themselves. I never have any browser open when running Live Update. And finally, no I do not see that Norton is telling me the patch is applying. That is why I started this post to begin with. I know all about how Norton is supposed to work. I have been using it for years. What is "Fast Start" and what problem (s) does this create with Norton software?

Remerciements0

@TomBat

Please see peterwebs' post at the following link in regards to Fast Start:   

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/windows-881-or-10-and-fast-start-...

Remerciements0

Rubbish....A Product such as Norton been around for over 20 years providing Security, and because a Patch Is Available, yes to the Options Apply Now or Later, repeatedly does not Apply/Work, even After Rebooting...and in reading some of the above comments 

"You may need to run LiveUpdate and reboot a few times before your product is completely updated to the latest version."

"We always suggest restating your computer after a patch is received to ensure that Norton has been fully updated. Norton has been including this message with all patch updates lately."

I think Users know whether to re-boot or not, and a few times?  Since I have never seen running LiveUpdate that Norton has been including this message (not included word for word)...and Who is We, do you work for Symantec ?  

End Users should not have to Run Norton Removal Tool, and the time it takes to Re-Install, again Run Updates to Whatever Version in My Opinion is time wasted, only to hope LiveUpdate Works Without another Patch Available, rinse and repeat.

You are Protected, but then in my 35+ years using Computers Nothing is 100% Guaranteed...other than Do Not Plug In or Power Up, Do not Connect to the Internet or Web.  

Keep Clicking Apply Now, Close and Move On, Use Malwarebytes as Well, and if the Norton's Un-named Patch without an ID to Report, does not install whenever, You Are Protected or Go With McAfee or other Security Software.

Norton Should Provide a Link on the LiveUpdate to Report Issues, and It would Be Nice in a Perfect PC/MAC Security World or SmartPhones & Tablet/Phablets Norton Security Software to Include a Patch Identification Number.  

30 Years Computers Exp., DOS 3 - 6.22, Windows 3, 95, 98, ME, XP, Vista, Win7, Win10 since 2015 and Norton since 1994
Remerciements0

I agree, I have been using Computers Since 1983. and Norton since Norton AntiVirus was released on September 12, 2006. and before since 1992, 26 yrs...and if some are Users of Microsoft Products, I have been using PC's with Windows 3.0 (May 1990) and MS-DOS 3.0 (Aug 1984)

I appreciate your Post TomBat as with many Forums/Boards Vent Your Issues and Comments....how many Repeat I Have the Same Problem/Issue.  Not 2 PC's same Make & Model will have the Same Issues, as they are Not Configured the Same, Same System Settings, Same Identical Software and Version, Used the Same by the End User, or Multiple Users of the Same PC.  

If Norton was not Installed on Individual PC's, running Norton solely from the Cloud if that was an Option, one would think the End-User would never Have Issues.  Other than your Individual Device performing as it Should, connecting to the Cloud could produce other Issues to Deal with. 

Restart Reboot Cold / Hot Reboot, does not always solve an Issue, it may...I would Hate to Think, Restart Your Car/Vehicle so the Brakes or Anti-Collision Work.

30 Years Computers Exp., DOS 3 - 6.22, Windows 3, 95, 98, ME, XP, Vista, Win7, Win10 since 2015 and Norton since 1994
Remerciements0

I think Users know whether to re-boot or not, and a few times?  Since I have never seen running LiveUpdate that Norton has been including this message (not included word for word)...and Who is We, do you work for Symantec ?  

The message does not come up in the LiveUpdate process. It is included in the Product Announcement Blog, such as this last announcement.   

3. How can I manually install these patches?

This patch is only available via LiveUpdate, and is being released in a phased manner. You may need to run LiveUpdate and reboot a few times before your product is completely updated to the latest version.

The 'We' I referred to are the other experienced users and Gurus in the forums here that volunteer our time to try to help others from our experience with Norton products. We are not employees.

Remerciements0

Thanks for setting me straight, only paraphrasing other comments that did not have clarity as to whom they were speaking about and message I have not seen using Norton for over 20 years, usually Norton after an Update will Instruct a Re-Boot is Required to Complete the Update (Not Exact Words) and since I do not read the Product Announcement Blog, I would be Clueless.

I never Asked about Manual/Manually Install/Installing LiveUpdate's or Patches. 

Kudo's Sir Peter Web Guru and your 4,544 Kudo's received, 28,380 posts, I am clearly out of your League...since I spend 8-16 hrs a day x365 for the last 14 yrs online of/for my purpose & needs, I do not have the time to search for an answer to every Computer Make/Model, or of Peripheral devices or a Software Glitch including Microsoft O/S, of every Forum/Board, or finding a Contact Us for Feedback, or Speak to a Human Tech/Customer Service Rep. for Resolve.

My Apologizes, if I offend any of the Other Experienced Users and Gurus of this Forum or any Forum.  I shall refrain from Visiting if at all Humanly Possible...but then I am 71, might experience PTSD, TBT, Alzheimer's, Dementia, Short Term Memory Loss or Limited-memory BFGS

Good Day, Happy Computing and Resolving Issues

Remerciements0

I am clearly out of your League.

Just depends on what game you are playing.   

If you have been using computers since almost the beginning of personal computers, you surely have picked up some info along the way. I too started out with Commodore 64 and moved my way up to the current Win 10 laptop I currently use. I stumbled upon the Norton community in 2008 while doing some beta testing for Norton. I just kept hanging around since.

No one can know everything about computers and software. That is why there are usually special forums. And Google search of course.

My Apologizes, if I offend any of the Other Experienced Users and Gurus of this Forum or any Forum.  I shall refrain from Visiting if at all Humanly Possible..

I saw nothing in your posts that would offend anyone. No need to be a stranger.

Remerciements0

I go back to using IBM PC XT 8088 at home and at work we had Zenith (In October 1983, the United States Navy and Air Force awarded a $27 million computer contract to ZDS)  At the time I was working on George Air Force Base, CA.

I currently have 3 PC's running Win10, 2 running Win7, 1 WinXP Pro, 1 Vista (Laptop), plus 1-Phablet, 3-Tablets, 

I tend to be facetious and a smart-a*#, so I can tend to offend some...my form of humor is left over from the Corps, Fire Service, and Prison, does not suit some, or how to take it...and in this media usually there are no faces, expression, tone of voice or body language to gauge one by.

Your Canadair Sabre 5 jet Hawk One, my Mother worked North American Aviation/Rockwell International 35 yrs, originally began as a Rosie Riveter.  I am familiar with F-86 Sabre, which the Sabre 5 is a variant. receiving the license from NAA to build.  As well as most all Aircraft flown by the Navy, Marines and AF for 30 yrs from the Crash Fire & Rescue MOS7051 perspective, hands on.