• Toute la Communauté
    • Toute la Communauté
    • Forums
    • Idées
    • Blogs
Avancé

Pas ce que vous cherchiez ? Demandez aux experts !

Ce sujet a besoin d'une solution.
Remerciements1 Stats

Is there a Norton Security/360 for Linux/Ubuntu?

Is there a Norton Security/360 for Linux/Ubuntu?

~~If it's OK for government and corporations to steal my privacy, why is it illegal for me to try to take it back?~~

Réponses

Remerciements1 Stats

Re: Is there a Norton Security/360 for Linux/Ubuntu?

This is no Norton for Linux.  Linux is inherently more secure than Windows and doesn't need an anti-virus.  The few Linux AVs I've seen were designed more for servers and to scan for Windows malware to protect Windows machines on the same network.

Symantec offer a Linux program.  A quick Google search will help you there.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Remerciements0

@Krusty13 

Hi Krusty13 - thanks for the feedback. 

I'm trying to build some semblance of protection from anti-privacy stalkers like Google. It's why I'm moving from Windows-without-curtains to Linux-with-drapes and a 'search' of the Internet, instead of the Google catalog, will show that because of the recent strong interest in returning to privacy, Linux (Ubuntu) has been subject to rare infection (from what I've read). You won't find much on it via Google or Micro$ofts Bing, you'll have to use a search engine.

Using Google to scan it's catalog will only give you results based on the profile you have been feeding it each time you turn your device on.

Of note, this page where I'm responding is attempting to gather my information using 10 stalkers. I blocked them. That said, does it point a finger at how little Norton cares about our privacy too? A recent study showed that most people don't read to the end of everything.

Saying Linux doesn't need a AV is like saying ~it's a safe neighbourhood - why lock the doors~.

FYI - and for interested readers, I found some Linux / Ubuntu AVs. I used a search engine this time, not Google or Bing.

SEARCH for::: ClamAV, RK Hunter, CHKRootKit, Dr. Web, ESET Nod32, Sophos, BitDefender. Though I wouldn't use the last 5 myself.

I will keep 1 comp for Windows Stalker 10 et al, and the rest, 6 devices will run Ubuntu. I will also possibly, maybe, perhaps renew my Norton only because I've been with Symantec since it was "Norton Commander"... those days of DOS (now called 'Command Prompt') We have a history together - - - we're both getting old

Thanks anyway... I always appreciate the work you/the volunteers do here.
~i~

------ this is "the end of everything" ------

~~If it's OK for government and corporations to steal my privacy, why is it illegal for me to try to take it back?~~
Remerciements2 Stats

I could link any number of articles explaining why you don't need an AV on Linux but you have your mind made up and that's fine.  Each to their own.

As long as you keep the OS and programs updated, only install from safe repositories, be careful where you visit and don't plug in random USB flash drives, the chances of getting an infection on your Linux machine is virtually nil.  You can also lock down your browser with NoScript + others.  Using a secure DNS service also helps.  Here's one I'm using  -  https://community.norton.com/en/forums/looking-norton-connectsafe-replacement)  Linux Mint Mate (based on Ubuntu) has a firewall, so if Ubuntu has one, enable that too.

Since you care about your privacy you should ensure you disable the Ubuntu telemetry on your machines. I'm not sure where to do that but you'll find it.

Up until recently I was using Linux Mint Mate on one machine and never had any malware concerns.

Best of luck with your journey.

Cheers,
Dave

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.