• Toute la Communauté
    • Toute la Communauté
    • Forums
    • Idées
    • Blogs
Avancé

Pas ce que vous cherchiez ? Demandez aux experts !

Remerciements1 Stats

Is there a Norton Anti-Virus without auto renewal?

My Norton is expiring in a couple of months and I started looking for a renewal.  I have been using Norton products for more than 20 years and have always shopped various sellers for the best price rather than pay the penalty for buying a renewal from Norton.  I cannot find a product that doesn't have auto renewal attached and that requires a credit card number to activate. Is Norton trying to scare away loyal customers by being super greedy?  Giving out credit card numbers online goes against all that Norton should stand for; Norton has crossed a line that they shouldn’t have even considered in the first place.  

I know that auto renewal can be cancelled, but research shows that many are having a hard time removing this dubious feature.  Why should a customer have to jump through these types of hoops?

I think I’ll research another anti-virus; Goodbye Norton after 20 plus years

Réponses

Remerciements0

Re: Is there a Norton Anti-Virus without auto renewal?

It appears that the marketing department wants us all to auto renew. So it seems to have been added to the installation process of all Norton products. 

What you can do after installation is complete is go into your Norton Account and turn off Auto Renewal. Sorry, but that seems to be all we can offer.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Remerciements1 Stats

RE: peterweb “guru”:

Your pathetic response reflects the lame attitude that seems to have permeated Norton management and as a result has alienated many loyal customers.  This attitude of requiring a credit card to activate software that has already been purchased is appalling, immoral, and in direct opposition to the policies that an internet security company should be implementing. 

An honest internet security company shouldn't require a lot of personal information to protect customers. 

Remerciements0

GGW01:
This attitude of requiring a credit card to activate software that has already been purchased is appalling, immoral, and in direct opposition to the policies that an internet security company should be implementing. 

FWIW ~

Activate pre-paid Norton subscription purchased from retail store

To install your Norton product purchased from a retail store or a third-party affiliated website, you must create a Norton account or add the purchased product to the existing account. For more information, read Update your Norton account settings.

During the setup process, you will receive a prompt to enroll in an automatically renewing subscription. For more information, read: FAQ: Norton Security subscription and renewal

If you have already installed Norton on your device, you can activate it using the product key. For more details, see Learn how to use Norton product key.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v132083659 

Note: Users may contact Official Norton Support for help with pre-paid Norton subscription purchased from retail store.

Remerciements1 Stats

GGW01:

An honest internet security company shouldn't require a lot of personal information to protect customers. 

I think I’ll research another anti-virus; Goodbye Norton after 20 plus years

Please let us know if you find a security solution that does not require email address and payment information for automatic renewal. 

Remerciements0

RE: peterweb “guru”:

Your pathetic response reflects the lame attitude that seems to have permeated Norton management and as a result has alienated many loyal customers.

Don't shoot the messenger. Guru's here are just users like you that volunteer our time to try to help others from our experience with the Norton products. I was only pointing out a work around that many users have adopted since this CC requirement has been implemented. 

As always, users are free to follow their own hearts in these kind of matters.

Good luck with any new choices you make for your security.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Remerciements0

I called support and got nowhere because I couldn't understand the rep (India?). I then used Live Chat to explain the issue. I absolutely refused to provide a credit card number for an already purchased product. For a security company to demand this is astonishing.

Anyway, the support rep was most helpful. I provided my new key for Norton Security Deluxe 5 user and she activated it for me (added to existing subscription). Now it looks like Norton Security is going away next year - can't find it for sale anymore. Not interested in LifeLock, cloudy backup, nor any other added stuff in 360 - only in OS/internet protection.

I'm now in the process of upgrading (downgrading) a few of my machines to Win 10. Next year, I think I'll just use Windows Defender which is free, reasonably capable, and doesn't require a credit card to activate.

Remerciements0

Carlos Sangria:
I called support and got nowhere because I couldn't understand the rep (India?). I then used Live Chat to explain the issue. I absolutely refused to provide a credit card number for an already purchased product. For a security company to demand this is astonishing.

Anyway, the support rep was most helpful. I provided my new key for Norton Security Deluxe 5 user and she activated it for me (added to existing subscription).

Thanks

Remerciements1 Stats

RE: Carlos:

Thank you for the post supporting the view that many customers have regarding the need for a credit card to activate an already purchased program.  I am hoping that some of the greedy managers at Norton actually look at some of these forum posts and realize they are shooting themselves in the foot and negating whatever good will they have cultivated in the past. 

In the past I have suggested friends use Norton, but with this development I will recommend they do not buy it. 

I wonder what Norton management perceives the upside may be to their sophomoric decision. 

Remerciements1 Stats

Like you, I have stopped recommending Norton because of the credit card requirement. While people here understand what Norton is doing (auto renewal), the policy is misleading and deceptive. How many consumers won't go into their accounts to turn off auto renewal and remove the credit card info?

In all honesty, if the customer rep hadn't satisfied my demands, I was prepared to drop Norton on the spot. I would have been out $20, but Kaspersky was on sale for ~$20 (5 user) on NewEgg that day. One would think that Norton would look at the reviews there and elsewhere and realize the stupidity of their tactics. I've been a user of Norton AV products and utilities since Peter Norton was at the helm, but the credit card requirement for an already purchased product is a bridge too far.

Remerciements1 Stats

RE: Carlos

Thanks for the post about contacting a customer rep.  I’m sure Norton management doesn’t factor into their business model the cost of the time customer reps need to un-do their crass decisions.  By the time one pays $30 for a 5 license package and uses most of an hour of customer rep time, Norton probably loses money on each sale that is protested.  Hopefully forum threads like this will help get the word out so Norton will either have to change their evil ways or wither away.

Adding features that nobody wants for marketing sake and claiming there is some kind of value added isn’t going to fool many long term computer users; who in their right mind wouldn’t ever use the cloudy storage option and routinely disable other bloatware.

This type of deception seems to be ingrained into the business school models of the last couple of decades that has fostered the deceitful practices of trying to milk the customer for as much money as possible as quickly as possible with total disregard for future customers or even the long term viability of the company.  Every decision revolves around the stock price and the stock price is what drives executive bonuses and salaries.  Customers and employees are just a necessary evil to remain in business.  Employees are all temporary and easily removed to quickly inflate stock prices.  Customers that are duped into auto renewal and pay for a service they no longer use are a dream come true.  Customers that complain often cost more than they paid for the service; but this doesn’t register in the MBA mindset.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.