• Toute la Communauté
    • Toute la Communauté
    • Forums
    • Idées
    • Blogs
Avancé

Pas ce que vous cherchiez ? Demandez aux experts !

Remerciements0

Auto-protect blocked security risk W32.IRCBot.Gen - How do I stop these annoying pop ups?

Recently, my computer started displaying the following Norton Internet Security pop up near the system tray:

Auto-Protect blocked security risk W32.IRCBot.Gen. Your computer is secure.”

I do not know what suddenly caused these alerts to appear, or how to turn them off, but they pop up approximately every 5 minutes and are becoming quite annoying. Any suggestions? I am using Norton Internet Security 2010.

Thanks!

Message Edited by ddanzer on 11-22-2009 01:52 PM

Réponses

Remerciements0

Re: Auto-protect blocked security risk W32.IRCBot.Gen - How do I stop these annoying pop ups?

Recently, my computer started displaying the following Norton Internet Security pop up near the system tray:

Auto-Protect blocked security risk W32.IRCBot.Gen. Your computer is secure.”

I do not know what suddenly caused these alerts to appear, or how to turn them off, but they pop up approximately every 5 minutes and are becoming quite annoying. Any suggestions? I am using Norton Internet Security 2010.

Thanks!

Message Edited by ddanzer on 11-22-2009 01:52 PM
Remerciements0

Re: Auto-protect blocked security risk W32.IRCBot.Gen - How do I stop these annoying pop ups?

Hi ddanzer:

Welcome to the Norton User Forums!

Actually, NIS 2010 is doing it's job quite well! It detected a security risk and stopped it dead.

We need to find out where the threat is coming from. Are you using any IM or IRC client?

Under *exactly* what circumstances does this happen?

Please list the OS are you using (include service packs, if any) and the type (and revision) of browser.

Thanks.

Message Edited by Plankton on 11-22-2009 06:51 PM
      Plankton - MCSE, CSQE     - NIS 2009 • NIS 2010 -Windows XP • Vista • 7 • IE 8
Remerciements0

I have the same problem W32.Iroc.bot coming up shortly after boot up each time I restart my machine. I have not any other encounter with it otherwise. I was referred to Microsoft site for help with the problem. The things they suggested did not work. No other program is detecting the bot. Does any one wave some ideas.  Not detected by Lavasoft  Adware ,PCSafe, 369 4.0 beta. In 360 4.0 It says it is there and them nothing else no solution or anything. Keep telling about the bot but no solution.

Vista 32bit sp2  

PSteinberger
Remerciements0

Hi Plankton,

I am running Windows XP Professional Version 2002 (SP3), Internet Explorer 8 (Version 8.0.6001.18702) 128-bit.

I have Windows Live Messenger and ICQ installed on my system, as well as E-Mule, but these messages pop up even when no programs are running and it is always the same Bot trying to attack my computer.

As I said in my original post, the security alert pops up every 5 minutes, no matter what programs are - or are not - running. I have done a number of full-system scans, but none of them detect the threat (probably because, as you said, NIS 2010 is doing its job).

I just want to disable these annoying alerts, not the protection.

Thanks!

Remerciements0

Hi ddanzer:

While these programs might not be active, in the sense that you are not invoking them, there might be background processes running and/or open ports which are not closed. I believe that you cannot turn off Auto Protect notifications, without actually turning *OFF* the entire feature, which would be very dangerous. We need to get to the Root Cause of why this is happening. One way is to ensure that only one of these programs is truly running at any given time and see if the notification occurs.

Per the NIS 2010 help file:

"Auto-Protect loads into memory and provides constant protection while you work. Auto-Protect checks for viruses and other security risks every time that you run programs on your computer. It also checks for viruses when you insert any removable media, access the Internet, or use the document files that you receive or create. It also monitors your computer for any unusual symptoms that might indicate an active threat."

Please tell us under *exactly* what conditions is this notification occuring - i.e. a web site, a specific program, etc.

I invite other posters to chime in on this, just in case I missed something!

Message Edited by Plankton on 11-23-2009 10:11 AM
Remerciements0

Well, the alerts started this morning soon after booting up my computer long before i opened any programs. Neither Windows Live Messenger nor ICQ or E-Mule are configured to run at startup. How can i check which program is trigerring this? There are many SVCHOST.EXE programs running in my task manager, but i hesitate to terminate any of them improperly for fear of corrupting the directory.

I am quite disappointed that i cannot turn off these notifications without turning off the entire service. They are really interfering with my use of the computer. Perhaps there are other users who have encountered this and can help...

Remerciements0

Hi ddanzer

Here is some information about this risk from Symantec. However, the information on this site is like a year old. I'm sure that it has mutated like a 100 times since this article was written. The way to get rid of the pop ups is to get rid of the cause of it showing up. It's a generic type so it is always changing. It may be continuing to show up because it is in the system restore points which means it's in the memory of the computer. I'll post the link, but please remember that the symptoms and basic removal will most likely be different now since it is like a year old. I've seen some posts in Google where people have had to go to Bleeping Computers to get it removed.

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2002-071518-2036-99

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 1903 Norton Core Security Plus 22.19.8.65 Core Firmware 288 Chrome latest version.
Remerciements0

For both users:

Have you both checked under History>resolved threats?  It should show under more details, what the file name is that is causing the popup and where to find it.  Once you know where and what it is you may be able to take the steps necessary to remove it.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Remerciements0

Hi ddanzer:

I agree with delphinium on that point. This would be a good starting place to look for the Root Cause.

I also considered turning off Notifications under Intrusion Protection, but that would be unwise.

Please let us know your results.

TIA

Message Edited by Plankton on 11-23-2009 11:57 AM

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.