• Toute la Communauté
    • Toute la Communauté
    • Forums
    • Idées
    • Blogs
Avancé

Pas ce que vous cherchiez ? Demandez aux experts !

Remerciements0

Malware?

I think I have malware.  The symptoms are:

1)  After startup and before entering my password, the mouse didn't move the arrow.  I went into Safe Mode and it worked.  So, I restarted the computer and the mouse worked.  (This may or may not be malware.)

2)  I encrypted a document with a password.  When I tried to open the doc with the password, it didn't recognize it.  (Thankfully I have a backup copy.)

3)  This is the one that's weird.  I got a pop-up notice from Norton that my CPU and Disk are using a massive amount of space, etc.  (66%)

Can you tell me what malware would cause these symptoms?  Especially 3) above.  Checked the Task Manager, Resource Monitor, Networking, Disk, Memory, etc. and it is busy with tons of stuff going on.

Thank you.

Cody

Réponses

Remerciements0

Re: Malware?

I think I have malware.  The symptoms are:

1)  After startup and before entering my password, the mouse didn't move the arrow.  I went into Safe Mode and it worked.  So, I restarted the computer and the mouse worked.  (This may or may not be malware.)

2)  I encrypted a document with a password.  When I tried to open the doc with the password, it didn't recognize it.  (Thankfully I have a backup copy.)

3)  This is the one that's weird.  I got a pop-up notice from Norton that my CPU and Disk are using a massive amount of space, etc.  (66%)

Can you tell me what malware would cause these symptoms?  Especially 3) above.  Checked the Task Manager, Resource Monitor, Networking, Disk, Memory, etc. and it is busy with tons of stuff going on.

Thank you.

Cody

Remerciements0

Hi cody,

Doesn't sound like malware.  Mouse issues are pretty common and could be due to a mouse that needs to be cleaned or any number of other mundane things.  The encryption problem could likewise have a simpler explanation than malware.  The popup, if you are using NIS 2011, is part of Performance Monitoring, which alerts you to programs that are using a high percentage of your PC's resources.  Such an alert is not necessarily an indication that anything is wrong, since on occasion, some programs will normally demand a lot of the CPU.  Sometimes your computer just gets busy.  What program is causing the alert, and what is it doing?

Remerciements0

Hi SendOfJive,

I check my Resource Monitor pretty often and it stays pretty much the same.  There is something on the Disk section:

C:\pagefile.sys (Page File) - Write (B/min) - 1,048,576

I don't know what to make of the sudden change in usage.

Thanks,

Cody

Accepted Solution
Remerciements0

It would be useful to know what program was running at the time.  Task manager will let you see what process is hogging the resources.  Is everything back to normal now?

Remerciements0

Services host is using a lot of resources, but nothing out of the ordinary.  I will continue to keep an eye on things.

Thanks for your help.

Cody

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.