• Toute la Communauté
    • Toute la Communauté
    • Forums
    • Idées
    • Blogs
Avancé

Pas ce que vous cherchiez ? Demandez aux experts !

Ce sujet a besoin d'une solution.
Remerciements0

About 2009

Alright, this is my first time trying a norton product since... Like.. 2002..  As I imagined, a lot has changed.

Up until today, i've been using another firewall program, until I bought Norton internet Security 2009 (As a result of a security issue which made me decide, I need something better then just a freeware firewall). So after some system lockups at startup, and the dread of having to part with my previous firewall, I've finally installed Norton Internet Security 2009 (Which by the way may I say looks much more therough than what I was previously using). 

So I log online to check a few things, and opened a few programs on the side (games, chatting, etc etc), only to be jumped by "windows firewall notification" that my browser, chatting and game programs are trying to connect to the internet. However, the Norton 2009 Security interface says the norton firewall and protection (so on and so fourth) is functional. 

So I asked myself "why would I be getting windows firewall notifications if I should be protected by norton, shoudnt I be getting some sort of norton notification?".

Which made me curious, is norton internet security  2009 doing its job? When I used my previous firewall program, I never had any notification at all from windows, it was always a programm access check by my prior. Norton somewhat intimidates me, when i checked my firewall internet settings, it looks much more complex then the simpler firewalls i've seen in the past.

Is this how my system and notifications should be acting? Do I need to turn windows firewall off for the norton firewall to work? You will have to pardon me, I've always had someone else in the household help me out before, but since they moved out, i have been left without anyone to speak to about this matter.

Réponses

Remerciements0

Re: About 2009

Already said that Red.
Real Time Protection = NIS 2009 + NATBehavior Analysis = ThreatfireOn Demand = MBAM
Remerciements0

As of the moment my security center only has "Manage settings for _____" with no specified antivirus indication, just internet options, automatic updates and things of the like. I have disabled my windows firewall (though it does show I have an option for a firewall on the list), and since removing nis2009, have not yet re-installed.

But you never got back to me about the notepad, do I skip that part? Or should I set it up somewhere?

Remerciements0

Delete the notepad. Wait a minute. You should have a red shield in your taskbar and a warning that you have no antivirus and no firewall. Is this the case?
Real Time Protection = NIS 2009 + NATBehavior Analysis = ThreatfireOn Demand = MBAM
Remerciements0

As far as my task bar, I only have sound/volume and printer options on my task bar.
Remerciements0

NIS2009 is installing, I should mention
Remerciements0

Before installing NIS did the security center show no antivirus and no firewall active?
Remerciements0

Well, it didnt really say anything about antivirus being active or inactive. But I dont have macafee, or anything else on my computer, just the adaware I mentioned, which you said is NOT an antivirus.

Nis2009 is installed now.. Security center hasnt changed (just the same 3 as before) , and my firewall option still says "unprotected" in windows firewall.

Remerciements0

What about the antivirus? Does the security center show that NIS is active?
Remerciements0

Security center has only 3 things

Windows Firewall options

Internet Options
Advanced Updates

You also have these 3 things, right?

Remerciements0

I'm sorry, I mean automatic updates
Remerciements0

I would suggest un-installing the "adaware" for now.
Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]
Remerciements0

Are you on XP? The security center should show 3 things. Your antivirus,firewall and automatic updates.
Remerciements0

Problem: Security Center reports Norton Firewall as inactive, right?

Solution: Ignore for now. Run LiveUpdate for the first time, which may take a bit on a malware-infested machine. Never terminate LiveUpdate! Then, go to settings>Heruistics>set to "aggressive">run a full system scan. 

=\
Remerciements0

Diesel, yes, XPsp3

My Security center has....

Automatic Updates (settings for)

Windows Firewall (No mention of norton)

And

Internet Options.

Nothing more then those 3.

Remerciements0

Thats not what the security should say. It is clearly a Windows problem and not an NIS problem. Have you tried rebooting?
Remerciements0

Not since installing, no. How old is NiS2009? It is functioning though, right? I do get the "secure" green checkmark in my task bar, and on my norton screen when I bring it up.
Remerciements0

Remerciements0

My control panel looks like that, but my security center does not, instead of virus protection, my system has "internet options". Are you running service pack 3?
Remerciements0

Yes I am on SP3. This has to with the repository folder. Try redoing the steps I posted for the respository folder and reboot. Sometimes you need to do it a couple of times.Message Edited by Dieselman743 on 11-01-2008 07:42 AM
Remerciements0

Understood, I shall try that right now.
Remerciements0

If NIS 2009 is running properly and there is a green check mark in the system tray then you are all set. You can ignore the security center. Other then that try again. Uninstall NIS 2009 via Add/Remove Programs and reboot. Run NRT and reboot. Get the security center back up to normal before installing NIS 2009. The security center should look just like the picture.
Remerciements0

Security center still looks the same, so does windows firewall. But the norton tray icon DOES have a green checkmark. Your instructions say to disable windows managment instrumentation, AND security center. However, Security Center on my list is grayed out as "disabled", and thus cannot be started, or stopped (thugh your instructions say to stop it). I re-start windows managment instrumentation AFTER deleting my repository filder in the designated location.C:\Windows\system32\wbem\repository

This followed by a reboot. Though mysecurity center, and also windows firewall, remain unchanged. Am I doing something wrong?
Remerciements0

No you may need to do it a couple of times and reboot.
Remerciements0

We'll have to talk a bit later. I'll check the thread back this aftrnoon. I however AM secure right? Just because norton isnt showing up, doesnt mean it isnt functioning, correct?
Remerciements0

Yes you are protected.
Remerciements0

<<  I used add/remove programs, i've been told I should always use that for my software (No exceptions), by my roomie  >>

Just to jump in here -- that is good and correct advice except when things go wrong and then one needs sometimes to use special tools as indicated here by people who are trying to help you.

The Norton Removal Tool (and other security systems have similar tools too) was written to deal with situations that have gone wrong (and note that the Norton Removal Tool will remove all Norton applications it finds not just what you want removed so don't use it if you have any other Norton application -- although I suspect you do not.

People here are trying to help you to get back to a clean Windows installation with no trace of Norton or any other overlapping product before you try to install Norton again so please please do as they recommend!

Hugh
Remerciements0

Congratulations on still having a sense of humor! Bravo! Bravo!
Hugh
Remerciements0

<< Now I remember why I havent bought anything norton since 2002. I had thought after 6 years, things would be a bit better, easier, but after uninstalling a program, i apparently, still have to uninstall it, then uninstall my own program yet again, to make sure it is working properly.  >>

Whoa! Hold on!

Seriously the problem is not with Norton on its own -- it arises because the other programs you had tried as alternatives to Norton (and which you said were not so good!) did not remove themselves properly when you used their normal removal procedure.

The problem today comes from interference from things that should not be there! It's not your fault and it's not Norton's either.

Please take a deep breath and get that clean Windows that everyone is striving for and then you will find that NIS2009 installs and runs like a transparent dream!

Hugh
Remerciements0

Dieselman743 wrote:
Yes Windows will show NIS as your firewall and antivirus. It does for me.

FWIW On XP Pro SP3 Security Center / Windows FIrewall just says OFF and unprotected ... no references to NIS.

I have NIS2009 installed. I don't have any other software firewall but I am behind the hardware firewall of my router.

Hugh
Remerciements0

Sc4m wrote:

Diesel, yes, XPsp3

My Security center has....

Automatic Updates (settings for)

Windows Firewall (No mention of norton)

And

Internet Options.

Nothing more then those 3.

As I've just said in a message to Dieselman, that is what I have in XP Pro SP3 -- no reference there to NIS 2009 which I am running.

That is when I access Security Center via its icon in Control Panel (Classic view).

Hugh
Remerciements0

Sc4m wrote:
My control panel looks like that, but my security center does not, instead of virus protection, my system has "internet options". Are you running service pack 3?
The Microsoft document Dm links to is the default "Non classic view" of XP (and similar in VISTA I think) -- You and I are using the Classic view? Right mouse click on START / Select Properties / Start Menu TAB / [x] Classic Menu
Hugh
Remerciements0

I have installed NIS 2009 on 15 machines now. All XP SP3 and the Security Center for them all shows NIS 2009 as the firewall and antivirus.

[URL=http://img148.imageshack.us/my.php?image=20081101124508vy4.png][IMG]http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/8281/20081101124508vy4.th.png[/IMG][/URL][URL=http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php][IMG]http://img148.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif[/IMG][/URL]
Remerciements0

The views do not change the security center. Classic or Category in the control panel gas not effect on the security center.
Remerciements0

Dieselman743 wrote:
The views do not change the security center. Classic or Category in the control panel gas not effect on the security center.

If that is a reply to one of my messages -- this thread is so long that one really needs to use the threaded view to know who is talking to whom so it's a help to quote at least part of the message being replied to -- then firstly I was not referring to the view choice in Control panel but as I said later to the START menu choice.

Nevertheless the image in the Microsoft document you linked to does not match what I see in Security Center and what I see matches what Sc4m says he sees.

Regardless of the cause, my Security Center does not mention Norton Internet Security .....

Hugh
Remerciements0

Sc4m --

Do you by any chance connect to the internet through a router which provides a hardware firewall?

I've just come across a statement elsewhere -- from someone who knows what he is talking about even if sometimes overdogmatic -- that Windows Firewall does not know about the presence of hardware firewalls and so gets confused in what it reports.

This has only just appeared in a discussion about networking problems elsewhere and I'll ask some questions there and come back if this seem relevant.

Hugh
Remerciements0

I have a hardware firewall and it has nothing to do with Windows. The Security Center has nothing to do with a hardware firewall at all. If your Security Center doesnt look like mine then there is something wrong with your Repository folder. No ifs ands or buts.
Remerciements0

Any XP machine you look at will have the same Security Center regardless of SP1,SP2 or SP3. Look at my screen shots on Image Shack.Message Edited by Dieselman743 on 11-01-2008 10:58 AM
Remerciements1 Stats

Hello Sc4m,

Thanks for your patience while we work with you through this issue. 

From what I've been able to gather from the flow of the posts here, is that initially Windows Firewall was on when you had installed NIS 2009. This was more than likely due to ZoneAlarm re-enabling it after being uninstalled (NIS 2009 does this too). Since you uninstalled ZoneAlarm AFTER NIS 2009 was installed, ZoneAlarm made Windows Firewall the firewall. 

Now it seems that by manually setting the Norton Firewall as the firewall and disabling Windows Firewall, that you're unable to have Windows recognize the firewall in the Windows Security Center. Correct?

If this is the case, try checking the following (and my apologies if someone else already suggested this):

1) Click on the Start Menu, then select "Run" (OR hold down the Windows Key and press "R").

2) Type services.msc.

3) Find the service name Security Center

What is the Service Type set to? Disabled, Manual, or Automatic? What is the Service Status? Is it Started?

4) Find the service name Windows Management Instrumentation

What is the Service Type set to? Disabled, Manual, or Automatic? What is the Service Status? Is it Started?

These both need to be set to Automatic and Started. You can do this by right-clicking on the service name, and clicking Properties

I look forward to hearing your results. 

Remerciements0

My Services.

Security center is disabled, in the list I found while following the instructions. When I right cick it,all the options ae grayed out.Startup Type Disabled, i cant seem to change this, how did it get disabled in the first place?

Meanwhile Windows Managment Instrumentation is enabled (started) and set to automatic at startup.

Remerciements1 Stats

Right -- that is how mine is setup.

Security Center was disabled to avoid nagging -- as I mentioned I am behind a hardware firewall and I have NIS2009 on my side! So who needs Microsoft's attempts at security? <g> Nothing wrong with your Windows or mine ...... just different.

OMMD ..... <g>

Hugh
Remerciements0

Nagging?
Remerciements0

So, should I activate security center through properties? There is a window that I can bring up, which allows me to change how security center will function, automatic, manual or disabled.
Remerciements0

Sc4m wrote:
Nagging?

In this case, the Windows Security Center complaining all the time that I was not doing it their way <s>

Hugh
Remerciements0

Sc4m wrote:
So, should I activate security center through properties? There is a window that I can bring up, which allows me to change how security center will function, automatic, manual or disabled.

In your case I believe that you should first do what Tim Lopez suggests and set them up his way. Then if you are happy with how it is all working -- Windows Security Center and Norton Internet Security -- you can decide if you like it that way or just NIS on its own.

I am not aware that disabling the Windows Security Center disables any protection that is not more than provided by Norton Internet Security bearing in mind that I have the additional protection of my hardware router. But I may be wrong on this although I have not suffered any ill effects.

Hugh
Remerciements0

Okay, having turned on, windows security center, via properties....

My security center has changed n control Panels.

Firewall reads as off, Virus protection reads as not found.

Remerciements0

Sc4m wrote:

Okay, having turned on, windows security center, via properties....

My security center has changed n control Panels.

Firewall reads as off, Virus protection reads as not found.

OK -- I've Started my Security Center and after kick starting it I see the format in the Microsoft article that Dm linked to and I also see that I have no Antivirus protection.

However that panel does say in small print that it does not see all antivirus programs ..... and if you click on [Recommendations] there is a check box

[  ] I have an antivirus program that I will monitor myself

and if you check that and go back to Security center it shows you have AV protection ... Not Monitored (by Microsoft)

So you really have nothing to worry about unless there was something else troubling you.

Hugh
Remerciements0

Alright, the Anti-Virus and Firewall WERE Red, saying "undetected"..

I placed a checkmark by my "i'll monitor them by myself" box, and they have turned yellow, and now read as "not monitored". Security Center is still ot recognizing NIS2009.

Though the appearence of my security center has changed, more like the way they appear in Diesel's. But still, "unmonitored" doesnt really resolve this.

Remerciements0

Sc4m wrote:

Alright, the Anti-Virus and Firewall WERE Red, saying "undetected"..

Yes?  How may I help you?  :P

Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]
Remerciements0

Well, like I explained, I am now actually able to view my firewall status AND antivirus status, somehow my security center got turned off (roomie probably, before they moved out). When they were "not found" they had a red dot next to them.
Remerciements0

Now that you have the security center running the correct way if you uninstall NIS 2009 via Add/Remove and reboot you can get things back to normal. Also run the NRT before reinstalling NIS 2009. I had this same issue when I uninstalled Kaspersky Internet Security. BTW Tim ZA was never uninstalled before installing NIS 2009. This is what caused all this.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.