• Toute la Communauté
    • Toute la Communauté
    • Forums
    • Idées
    • Blogs
Avancé

Pas ce que vous cherchiez ? Demandez aux experts !

Remerciements0

NortonInstaller folder

Hello, everybody!

Besides the Norton Internet Security folder, there is a NortonInstaller folder in the Program Files directory. Shall I keep the NortonInstaller folder or may I delete it without prejudice to the NIS?

Réponses

Remerciements0

Re: NortonInstaller folder

It is just there in case you ever want to reinstall the product without having to download it again. It is safe to delete and won't affect your installed Norton program.

Remerciements0

Bombastus, thanks a lot!

Accepted Solution
Remerciements3 Stats

Hi 13-Friday,

NortonInstaller folder contains important files for the Norton to work. You should not delete the folder. This folder is not meant for download of product.

Kindly let us know if you need more info.

Thanks!

Remerciements0

Thank you for the warning, sunitha!

Fortunately, I haven't removed the folder yet.

Remerciements0

sunitha wrote:

Hi 13-Friday,

NortonInstaller folder contains important files for the Norton to work. You should not delete the folder. This folder is not meant for download of product.

Kindly let us know if you need more info.

Thanks!

Hi sunitha,

If that's the case, why does the installation folder only appear if we use the download manager and not if we install directly from the .EXE file?

Thanks,

Dave

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Remerciements0

... Never mind.

I thought we were talsking about the installation folder created on the Windows Desktop.

Remerciements2 Stats

Hi Krusty,

You are right. We are talking about "NortonInstaller" folder which resides in Program files and not about "Norton Installation Files" which has the downloaded exe.

NortonInstaller folder needs to be present for the product to function properly.

Thanks!

Remerciements0

Just curious, what does that folder control?  Uninstallation data?

Remerciements1 Stats

Hi Dave,

It is the installer cache which contains files needed for running our services.

Thanks!

Remerciements0

Remerciements0

Hi Dave,

Really Sorry. I am not well-versed with NCW. I will notify the concerned team to look into it and provide comments.

Another option is to contact support.

Thanks!

Remerciements0

Oh, I erroneously assumed it was the desktop folder we were talking about. Somehow missed the description in the first post. I am very sorry for any confusion caused.

Remerciements0

k13:

> why does the installation folder only appear if we use the download manager and _not_ if we install directly from the .EXE file?

Not true.

In the last week I installed NIS 2013 on two computers: Vista and XP Pro.

1) uninstall, restart, NRT, restart,

2) downloaded the .exe file from norton. <----

It creates a file on the desktop called NIS-ESD-NODEFS-20-4-EN.exe.

When installed, liveupdated, and restarted multiple times, it creates _two_ folders in Program Files:

Norton Internet Security

NortonInstaller

Remerciements1 Stats

joen wrote:

k13:

> why does the installation folder only appear if we use the download manager and _not_ if we install directly from the .EXE file?

Not true.

When installed, liveupdated, and restarted multiple times, it creates _two_ folders in Program Files:

Norton Internet Security

NortonInstaller

In my experience when you download a file (from anywhere) you get a "popup" at the bottom of the screen (in my case anyway) asking if you want to Run the file or Download it.

If you choose Download then you get a choice of Save or Save As and the default for Save may well be the desktop but I always choose Save As and then select where I want it to go which is usually a folder under Downloads appropriate for the file in question eg Norton / Microsoft / Utilites and so on.

I don't know exactly how the default is deternined -- whether Windows has one or even whether the Server the file is coming from sends where it wants it to go to (that would make sense) and Norton may use Desktop as a default since that is where the Download Manager puts it (unless you use Save As).

FWIW ....

Hugh
Remerciements0

huwyngr wrote:

joen wrote:

k13:

Not true.

Norton Internet Security

NortonInstaller

In my experience when you download a file (from anywhere) you get a "popup" at the bottom of the screen (in my case anyway) asking if you want to Run the file or Download it.

If you choose Download then you get a choice of Save or Save As and the default for Save may well be the desktop but I always choose Save As and then select where I want it to go which is usually a folder under Downloads appropriate for the file in question eg Norton / Microsoft / Utilites and so on.

I don't know exactly how the default is deternined -- whether Windows has one or even whether the Server the file is coming from sends where it wants it to go to (that would make sense) and Norton may use Desktop as a default since that is where the Download Manager puts it (unless you use Save As).

FWIW ....

... And I was talking about a folder created on the desktop called "Norton Installation Files".

FWIW...

Remerciements2 Stats

Hi Joen,

If product is downloaded using "Norton Downloader", it will be present in C:\Users\Public\Public Downloads\Norton\...

Shortcut of this folder only appears in desktop. Original location of downloaded product is the above location.

If you download exe (i.e. product) directly without using "Norton Downloader", "Norton Installation Files" folder will not be created. Downloaded exe will be present in your default download location.

Thanks!

Remerciements0

And I think we are all three right -- Sunitha, you and me -- in that what appears on your desktop depends on your default, or that of the source ? <s>

Hugh

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.