• Toute la Communauté
    • Toute la Communauté
    • Forums
    • Idées
    • Blogs
Avancé

Pas ce que vous cherchiez ? Demandez aux experts !

Remerciements4 Stats

Freeware Downloads and the Norton Forums

I was reading the story of someone today who downloaded the VLC media player from a 3rd party site, and was inundated with nuisanceware included in the download.

A reminder to always download programs from the developers site where possible, rather than a 3rd party.

It might save you a visit to this forum !

Windows 10 Home X 64

Réponses

Remerciements0

Re: Freeware Downloads and the Norton Forums

F4E wrote:

I was reading the story of someone today who downloaded the VLC media player from a 3rd party site, and was inundated with nuisanceware included in the download.

A reminder to always download programs from the developers site where possible, rather than a 3rd party.

It might save you a visit to this forum !

Very good point.  I always try to locate the original app/program site as well.

It's one of those 'net surfing good-practice things that can avoid problems.

Windows 7x64 Home Premium OEM Ver / MoBo: ASUS P7P55D-E / CPU: Intel i5-650 / RAM: 16 Gb Corsair DDR3
Accepted Solution
Remerciements4 Stats

Malwarebytes, themselves, sum the issue up nicely in their analysis of dodgy third party software bundler distribution practices for their own product here:

http://blog.malwarebytes.org/news/2013/10/tango-down-softango/

Remerciements0

I hear cnet.com and download.com is using this practice,infact I know they are because I downloaded something sometime back and added some game garbage in the installer. Like the person above go to the actual vender if you really know who they are

Remerciements0

elsewhere wrote:

Malwarebytes, themselves, sum the issue up nicely in their analysis of dodgy third party software bundler distribution practices for their own product here:

http://blog.malwarebytes.org/news/2013/10/tango-down-softango/

Thanks for the link.  Good read. 

This is one reason that I "overkill" with my system scans.  I like to detect any PUP's, etc, that may have snuck into my HDD as soon as I can so I run overnight unattended full scans for both Norton and MBAM. 

I'm aware that this isn't the norm for most PC users but I figure I might as well use the scanner tools when my PC's are idle overnight.

blue50moon wrote:

I hear cnet.com and download.com is using this practice,infact I know they are because I downloaded something sometime back and added some game garbage in the installer. Like the person above go to the actual vender if you really know who they are

My past experiences with Cnet downloads weren't too good but I've been reading lately that they've cleaned up their act recently. 

That may be the case but I usually avoid Cnet for downloading whenever I can due to my past issues with their add-on's in downloads from their site.

Windows 7x64 Home Premium OEM Ver / MoBo: ASUS P7P55D-E / CPU: Intel i5-650 / RAM: 16 Gb Corsair DDR3
Remerciements0

Yeah Scoop you got that right. I think cnet and downloads.com are the same people,I think

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.