• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton Security Suite for Comcast

Hello,

I am a user of Nortons Security Suite for Comcast and I have noticed I am unable to disable the background full system scan.

I have a Solid State Disk Drive (SSD) and would like to turn this feature off.

How come I am unable to turn this off? What is the point of doing a full system scan every day?

This is very frustrating.

Chris

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Security Suite for Comcast

Hello,

I am a user of Nortons Security Suite for Comcast and I have noticed I am unable to disable the background full system scan.

I have a Solid State Disk Drive (SSD) and would like to turn this feature off.

How come I am unable to turn this off? What is the point of doing a full system scan every day?

This is very frustrating.

Chris

Kudos0

Hi,

the idle time Full System Scan, when it is done preperly, runs only once week, on the other 6 days only Quick Scan will be run.

So if you have the time, please let the scan finish, then it will not run for a week again.

Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro x64 Hungarian, Norton 360 v21.5.0.19
Kudos0

I also find it very annoying, Always getting a popup Norton Security Suite running a background scan...... and dont agree that once it runs full scan it wont show again for a week...... It pops up every minute... I guess its time to delete Norton Security suite and go with a better free software that won't popup every minute or soo.... why can't there be a setting to turn it off?? like you can in NIS 2011..

Kudos0

Some general info which may help explain what you are asking.

Once the Idle Full System starts (when the system is in idle), it will run until system comes out of idle - which could be 5 minutes, 1/2 hour, or longer.  Once system activity is detected the scan stops and rmains stopped unti such time as the system goes backinto idle.  Once that occurs, the scan picks up from where it left off (and displays the popup syaing it is background tasks).  It will continue this cycle until one of two thigns ocur.  The full system scan completes  durin idle time or the scan has been delayed so many tmies it just forces itself to be completed.  Once it forces itself to completion it may load down your system.  Once it is complete your system speed will return to normal and the 7 day clock for Idle Full System Scan will be reset and the scan wil not run again for 7 days.  

You can go to Tasks > Check Norton Tasks > and this will tell you the last time your Idle Full System Scan was completed. 

Now in regards to the "it pops up every minute".  The Idle Time Out can be set from 1 Minute to 10 minutes, so you may need to check your Idle Time Out setting and readjust it for a longer period of time.  Settings > Administrative Settings > Idle Time Out drop down.

The reason NSS and Norton 360 are not as programmable as NIS is because they are meant to be "set it and forget it" type programs.  They are intended fo rthe lesser tech savy user than NIS is intended for.

Hopefully this explains some of what you are seeing.

Kudos0

yank wrote:

Some general info which may help explain what you are asking.

Once the Idle Full System starts (when the system is in idle), it will run until system comes out of idle - which could be 5 minutes, 1/2 hour, or longer.  Once system activity is detected the scan stops and rmains stopped unti such time as the system goes backinto idle.  Once that occurs, the scan picks up from where it left off (and displays the popup syaing it is background tasks).  It will continue this cycle until one of two thigns ocur.  The full system scan completes  durin idle time or the scan has been delayed so many tmies it just forces itself to be completed.  Once it forces itself to completion it may load down your system.  Once it is complete your system speed will return to normal and the 7 day clock for Idle Full System Scan will be reset and the scan wil not run again for 7 days.  

You can go to Tasks > Check Norton Tasks > and this will tell you the last time your Idle Full System Scan was completed. 

Now in regards to the "it pops up every minute".  The Idle Time Out can be set from 1 Minute to 10 minutes, so you may need to check your Idle Time Out setting and readjust it for a longer period of time.  Settings > Administrative Settings > Idle Time Out drop down.

The reason NSS and Norton 360 are not as programmable as NIS is because they are meant to be "set it and forget it" type programs.  They are intended fo rthe lesser tech savy user than NIS is intended for.

Hopefully this explains some of what you are seeing.

Thanks for the explanation.... the idle time out setting is set to max 10 minutes. i checked the task and full scan was cancelled probably because i keep closing the popup.... duration was 19 seconds before being cancelled so i'll guess i will let it finish next time it pops up then after that then shouldnt get anymore pop ups for the rest of the week? or atleast tonight right...

Thanks

Kudos0

I have a different problem...180 degrees out.  On four of our five computers...idle full system runs regularly.  On the fifth computer(mine), idle full system scan won't run at all.  It might have run once, right after installation, then no more. 

Idle quick scan runs fine...but not the full scan.  I've tweaked every NSS setting I can think of. 

Any suggestions?

Kudos0

jafesq wrote:

I have a different problem...180 degrees out.  On four of our five computers...idle full system runs regularly.  On the fifth computer(mine), idle full system scan won't run at all.  It might have run once, right after installation, then no more. 

Idle quick scan runs fine...but not the full scan.  I've tweaked every NSS setting I can think of. 

Any suggestions?

You can check this first:

From the main page, select Tasks > Check Norton Tasks (lower right corner Under PC Tuneup Tools) > On new page, under Background Jobs, locate the Idle Full System Scan, check the last date it was run, and the Status.  It should show as Complete and the date should be less than 7 days old.  Once the inital scan is complete, it should run (start) again 7 days later, and every 7 days after that.  If you let us know what the status and date are perhaps it will be a clue as to what is going on.

Yes, I have a suggestion of what you can try, while waiting for a response.   Perhaps you have done too much tweaking and got a setting/combination of settings  incorrect/different from the other 4 systems.  I would start by comparing each and every setting on the problem system to each and every setting on one of the correctly running systems.

Ple4ase keep us updated on what/if you find any settings different.

Kudos0

Moved to original thread for better exposure.
Kudos0

I haven't come across any settings that are different...is there a way to reset to default settings and start over?  For now, everything on my computer is set to "automatic"...but in the past I've even set it to "weekly" and it still wouldn't run automatically.  Set the idle time timeout to 1 minute...same result. 

Idle Time Full System Scan last ran on my computer on 8/7/2010...status is "complete".

Thanks in advance for your help with this....

John

Kudos0

jafesq wrote:

I haven't come across any settings that are different...is there a way to reset to default settings and start over?  For now, everything on my computer is set to "automatic"...but in the past I've even set it to "weekly" and it still wouldn't run automatically.  Set the idle time timeout to 1 minute...same result. 

Idle Time Full System Scan last ran on my computer on 8/7/2010...status is "complete".

Thanks in advance for your help with this....

John

How about a long shot? 

Please go to Settings > Antivirus > Scans and Risks Tab > Scan Exclusions > Configure.  The only item listed by default is \System Volume Information.  Insure that by chance C:  is not listed.  This would stop NSS from scanning your C drive.  

I am not aware of a "reset to default settings".  However a total removal/reinstallation would accomplish that.  The following will guide you through the procedure: Please note, you will be redirected to the Comcast Forum for the following procedures.

If you use Identity Safe, backup your Identity Safe data (See Export instructions here- http://forums.comcast.net/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/How-to-Export-Import-NSS-Identity-Safe-Data/m-p....Turn on Windows Firewall.Uninstall NSS via normal removal procedures. (Add/Remove programs ).After it is uninstalled, run the Norton Removal Tool following the instructions here: http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&selected_nav=partner&pvid=&docurl=20....After running the Removal Tool, reboot and follow the instructions at the bottom of the above link to download and install a fresh copy of NSS..Once installation is complete, open NSS and manually Run LiveUpdate (located in bottom left corner of main page of NSS) as many times as necessary for it to respond "no more updates available". If a reboot is requested, reboot and then continue to Run LiveUpdate until it responds "no more updates available" and then reboot one last time.  Your installation should now be up to date definition wise and ready for use..After installation and update, complete the Import portion of the instructions here for Identity Safe Data here - http://forums.comcast.net/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/How-to-Export-Import-NSS-Identity-Safe-Data/m-p...Please post back with results/questions.
Kudos0

The "idle-time scan" was doing its thing while I was trying to burn .iso files onto DVD for work, and every time it did that the DVD was a coaster.  I figured a reasonable interface design would allow me to disable the entire suite while I work off-network to do these tasks, but by all accounts here, Symantec didn't agree with that assumption, and I have no control over that feature of the software.  I found a solution, however, and it works equally well with this software or any other software designed to prevent reasonable user control of the user's own equipment.  I uninstalled Norton Security Suite from my PC, replaced it with more user-controllable security software and, voila, problem solved!   

Kudos0

You can enable Silent Mode on NSS by going to Settings > Administrative Settings > Silent Mode and turn it on!Of course I guess you are not interested in that info as you perfered to uninstall NSS and use something that you knew how to control, rather than ask!

Silent Mode

When you turn on the Silent Mode option, you enable Silent Mode for a specified duration. You can enable Silent Mode for a period of one hour, two hours, four hours, six hours, or one day.

When Silent Mode is enabled, Norton Security Suite suppresses all alerts and suspends the background activities for the duration that you specify. After the specified duration, Norton Security Suite disables Silent Mode. You can also manually disable Silent Mode at any time. The activities that are suspended run after Silent Mode is disabled.

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

I ended up taking a very different and labor-intensive way to fix it...not by choice.

In trying to figure this out, it came to my attention that Windows Update had never quite gotten me up to the level of Vista Service Pack 2.  In trying to install SP2, I ended up rendering my machine unusable (I know, big surprise with Windows, right?).  I had to start over with my factory default disk, coax SP2 into finally installing, then re-install Norton from a new download.

Bottom line:  My Norton install on my desktop now scans once a week like it's supposed to.  Either my old problem had to do with Vista not being at SP2, or not having the latest Norton from Comcast....guess I'll never know.

In any case...thanks for the advice and the help with this!!

John

Kudos0

@ jafesq,

Glad you got it sorted - even if you had to take the long way around.

Replies are locked for this thread.